New Posters of the Week (9/7)

September 7, 2012

It is once again time to check out all of the…

I love checking out and collecting movie posters! Some are pretty impressive. Others look much more like the art you see on proud parents of toddlers fridges. 😀 However, the time and effort it takes to put the good ones together pays off! With teases of what to expect from the featured film, posters are one of my favorite parts of the whole cinematic experience. If you love movie posters like I do, then you are likely to enjoy the latest ones of the week!

Today we have a few new posters from films such as a new one for the epic Cloud Atlas, a dark and threatening one for Sinister, and even a Fun Size poster.

Take a look: (To view the fullscreen slideshow, click on any one of the posters below and scroll through with the arrow keys.

Well, what do you think? Which ones are your favorites in this spotlight? I personally like Rust and Bone, Cloud Atlas and Silver Linings Playbook. Which ones do you like?

Leave a comment! 🙂

To see past editions of this post (Spotlight on New Posters of the Week), click HERE. (posters courtesy ImpAwards and Collider)

Have a great day!

1. September 7, 2012 7:15 pm

Wow ‘Parental Guidance’ looks terrible. Oh how the mighty have fallen…

• September 11, 2012 11:06 am

yeah. Billy Crystal…ummm

2. September 7, 2012 7:37 pm

Parental Guidance does indeed look terrible. Sorry Billy.

Cloud Atlas has a good poster, and although I doubt I’ll see the movie, I have to say Sinister‘s poster does a good job of selling it.

Fun Size, though the poster really isn’t good or bad, does raise a question for me. This is a Halloween-themed movie from every indication. And they’re releasing it on October 26. Isn’t that kind of like releasing a Christmas movie on December 21? They’ve got less than a week before the movie is out of season. It indicates to me they don’t have any confidence in the film, and if they don’t, I don’t.

• September 11, 2012 11:08 am

Hey Morgan. sorry for the delayed response. Yes, I have to agree with you on Sinister. It really really is so creepy and…sinister. Will you be watching that one? I’m not sure I will.

Good point on the release of Fun Size. I hadn’t thought about that. Yeah, it doesn’t look too fun at all

• September 11, 2012 11:28 am

I probably won’t be watching Sinister… I don’t tend to pay money for horror movies. Despite my numerous attempts during October to find good ones, I succeed seldom enough that I don’t think it’s a good use of my money. 😀

3. Nick Powell permalink
    September 7, 2012 10:03 pm

Hey!

Nick from http://www.cinekatz.com here. Doing some scout work for the LAMB. We’re wanting to make an email newsletter for community features as well as a list we’re making similar to Sight & Sound’s best movies of all time list. Just need an email! Email me at npowe131 at gmail.com

• September 11, 2012 11:08 am

Hi Nick! Thanks for visiting. I’ll check it out.

4. September 8, 2012 7:39 am

Interesting crop of posters here. Really a mixed bag. Silent Hill looks awful, I feel like it’s trying to sell the 3D within the poster, and it’s just not working & looks ugly. Parental Guidance also looks like a generic disruptive family comedy.

On the other side of things, Sinister looks great, it’s a very nice image for what it’s going for. Cloud Atlas also just looks so weird that it’s intriguing. “What’s with the tattoo on Tom Hank’s face?” “What time period is it in?” “And why are piano keys so important to be included in the poster” (FYI, I have heard nothing about this movie yet, except vague positive buzz). I really like Rust and Bone, it’s a really different pose than seen on most movie posters, and I like the decision to crop off part of the guy’s face. Fun Size, while it could be considered similar to Parental Guidance, there’s just enough different about it that I like it a lot more. I think it’s something simple as the orange tint to it.

I feel like I’m starting to over-analyze these posters, so I’ll just say that the others look pretty decent too.

• September 11, 2012 11:10 am

Bubbawheat! what’s going on? Thanks for stopping in this week. I think the Silent Hill movie is coming straight to dvd this October…so I don’t expect it to be that great afterall haha.

By now have you seen the trailers or anything for Cloud Atlas? It looks pretty great. and I love your thoughts on Rust and Bone.

I actually enjoy your thoughts on the posters overall each week and appreciate your input. Thanks!

5. September 8, 2012 7:44 am

I think the bay needs a better poster, i wouldn’t have a clue what that’s about

• September 11, 2012 11:10 am

perhaps that’s the point though.

• September 11, 2012 11:17 am

True I normally go off trailers so, i’ll leave the judgments to that arena to someone else 😀

6. September 8, 2012 11:05 am

I like the retro Star Wars look of Cloud Atlas.

• September 11, 2012 11:11 am

It is somewhat retro looking isn’t it? I like the scifi feel. It reminds me of book covers to scifi books I used to read as a boy!

7. September 8, 2012 3:24 pm

I have to say the poster for CLOUD ATLAS does remind me of STAR WARS. Also a network TV movie of the week, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing. I think the landscape orientation looks like it would work well as a two-page spread in a magazine.

SILVER LININGS sort of suggests their fractured personalities possibly? Also that they are two halves of a whole…or am I reading into it too much 🙂

• September 11, 2012 11:12 am

I have no idea what to expect yet from Silver Linings, but I just watched Cooper in The Words and he still doesn’t have me excited about his involvement in any particular movie.

So ready for Cloud Atlas though! 🙂

8. September 9, 2012 2:53 pm

I much prefer the previous posters of Chasing Mavericks. Out of these lot, that LUV one caught my eye first, I like the unconventional layout.

• September 11, 2012 11:13 am

I agree with you Ruth. I like the colors in the other posters for Chasing Mavericks more.

9. Anonymous permalink
    September 10, 2012 6:09 am

Chasing Mavericks. Big waves. Should be interesting!

The Bay looks interesting too…

• September 11, 2012 11:22 am

The Bay and Chasing Mavericks should just be mashed together into one film! hahaha now THAT would be interesting.

10. September 11, 2012 10:12 am

Everything about Cloud Atlas is drawing me in at the moment even though the book sounded a bit too weird and boring to me.

• September 11, 2012 11:26 am

Cloud Atlas has my attention as well. I didn’t realize there was a book for it. I don’t normally read books for movies until AFTER I’ve seen the film though