It’s “Time to Vote Tuesday!” 116

September 11, 2012

What is “Time to Vote Tuesday”?:

Last week’s poll, Fun in ’81 has now closed with 42 votes. The results are in and the #1 movie of 1981 has been chosen. It was a close race as Raiders of the Lost Ark took off with such an impressive lead, followed by Excalibur. But, come the final day of voting I was surprised to see On Golden Pond overtake the numerous Indiana Jones votes and win! (I’m only kidding, On Golden Pond received only one very gratuitous vote from Fogsmoviereviews.com). 😉

In the end, it was indeed good ol’ Indy that won the race! It was a lot of fun reading all of the comments. 🙂 Thanks to all that voted. Be sure to check out the results from last week’s polls HERE.

I wish to thank everyone that voted in last week’s poll, shared it with others, and added to the conversation with your comments!

—————-

In this edition of ‘TVT’ this week’s poll, entitled “Second-Part Sequels”, takes a look at Part 2’s in movie series.

A touchy subject amongst film-lovers is the Hollywood trend of sequels, prequels, remakes and reboots. There’s nothing quite so frustrating as seeing them beat a dead horse when it comes to films…especially those that are so undeserving of the sequel/redo treatment.

*Can’t take credit for using this first. I saw Castor use this gif over at Anomalous Material last week. Too good to pass up!

I mean, I can understand why The Matrix 2, The Fantastic Four, The Punisher, and even Saw 3 deserved a continuation. They were all so phenomenal! (In case you missed it…that was SARCASM)! haha

Sometimes, however, sequels tend to surprise me. Remember Spider-Man 2? Underworld Evolution? The Dark Knight? Kill Bill 2? Terminator 2? Star Wars V: The Empire Strikes Back? I’m just saying! They were all “Part 2” sequels that ended up doing very well…sometimes, even better than the first! Most of them earned more and were often better received due to the directing, acting, special effects, storyline, etc.

Oh, Master Luke, How delightful! They like us! They truly like us!

The trend of cinematic continuation does not appear to be slowing down any time soon. With films such as Taken 2, The Avengers 2, Grown Ups 2, and even more on the horizon, I am curious to see how they will fare in comparison to their respective predecessors in GENERATED REVENUE and GENERAL RECEPTION overall.

Today I ask you to consider:

*NOTE: for this poll, please consider the Generated Revenue and the General Reception measurements for your choices. And remember, is not a question of which sequel will do better than the other one. It is a question of which sequels will do better than their predecessors.

…aaaannnndddd…I ask you:

Let me know in the comments which you picked (if any) and which sequel(s) you are looking forward to seeing in the future.

The poll closes on 9-18-12 and the results will post on next week’s “Time to Vote Tuesday!”

***Don’t forget: For regular updates on movie news, rumors, pictures, posters, and more, FOLLOW ME on Twitter and Facebook.

1. September 11, 2012 10:28 am

First Votes!

• September 11, 2012 11:26 am

haha. the honor does go to you! Thanks for voting this week.

2. September 11, 2012 10:45 am

One of my votes was Avatar 2 simply because it wouldn’t take much at all to match or exceed the first one.

• Chris permalink
      September 11, 2012 10:57 am

I disagree. Avatar was top dog until avengers came along. It was revolutionary in terms of how well 3D could be implemented and how seamlessly CG could be mixed with live action, albeit with some trickery.

I just sincerely doubt any future avatar projects will beat the first in any way.

• September 11, 2012 11:30 am

I think #2 will give it a run as people try to relive the first one and wonder how James Cameron continues the story, but then it’ll fizzle come #3.

• September 12, 2012 1:36 pm

Chris, my problems with Avatar are 100% related to to story, the stereotypes, and the heavy-handed preachiness. Visually and technically it was breathtaking. I just need more than that.

• September 11, 2012 11:27 am

yep, it wouldn’t take much I agree. I didn’t like the first one all that much. visually it was great, but the overly recycled storyline…bleah

• September 12, 2012 1:35 pm

Exactly, exactly, exactly!!!! So glad I’m not alone. I gave it 2.5 stars out of 5 and every .5 star was for technical accomplishments – nothing else.

• September 15, 2012 9:34 am

Yes my friend. you DEF are not alone. I haven’t watched Avatar since the first time and am a little disappointed that it retains the title of the highest grossing film of all time now.

3. Chris permalink
    September 11, 2012 10:52 am

Avengers two will beat avengers one. That’s just a given. It’s like call of duty. Even if it’s the exact same game, each iteration beats the last in every way some how.

I said monster university because I’m hopeful people remember the first and will turn out to the second, and some of the kids who saw the first have kids of their own to share the experience with now.

Lastly, I almost said sin city. But it’s been so Long since the first one. The first was also kind of revolutionary for its time. By now, it would seem to be old hat.

I went with star trek because one of the most iconic franchises in any genre in the world has been retold and everyone, even a lot of trek faithfuls are on board and hooked.

• September 11, 2012 11:29 am

solid rhetoric! 🙂

with one exception: “I’m hopeful people remember the first and will turn out to the second,” referring to Monsters Inc. OF COURSE! Nobody forgets Monsters Inc! It’s a classic that everyone loves! 😀

Thanks for voting and commenting

4. September 11, 2012 11:03 am

Voted for Avengers 2, HTTYD 2 and Taken 2. I would’ve voted for Thor 2 if Branagh were still directing.

• September 11, 2012 11:30 am

I, too, wish Branagh was there. eh.

5. September 11, 2012 11:42 am

You can call me out all you want.

My mission was a success.

“On Golden Pond” is too good a movie to be shut out.

And now, it wasn’t 😀

• September 15, 2012 9:19 am

haha. no call out! I was actually very impressed and was hailing you as a the hero of Golden Pond! 🙂

6. September 11, 2012 5:24 pm

Gotta go with Thor 2. With Joss Whedon advising Marvel now, I definitely hope it’s going to make the sequel of Thor much better than the first one. I liked the original but it’s so light and unsubstantial that it didn’t linger in my mind at all.

• September 15, 2012 9:25 am

I remember that you weren’t all that impressed with Thor. (booooo) haha.

I look forward to the sequel being great as well. Thanks for voting.

7. jackdeth72 permalink
    September 11, 2012 6:15 pm

Hi, Terrence and company:

I’m going with ‘Sin City 2’ and ‘How to Train Your Dragon 2’.

Need another dose of snowy, rainy Noir.

Also Dragons. Can never have enough Dragons.

• September 15, 2012 9:29 am

Some good choices there good sir!

I am ready for Sin City 2 for sure

8. September 11, 2012 8:15 pm

Sin City… can’t do any worse than the first one.

• September 15, 2012 9:29 am

Sin City 2!!!

9. September 13, 2012 5:40 am

interesting poll T 🙂

I didn’t choose anything in the poll because I have my own answer 😉

my answer is Prometheus 2, tho not sure when it’ll be made…my reason is because it will answer many unanswered questions in previous movie

• September 15, 2012 9:41 am

I applaud you Nov. because Prometheus is an excellent choice. I should have included that one. Nice call out there! and this week there was no “OTHER” option.

your “no vote” is well-played.

• September 19, 2012 3:57 pm

By the way…I will watch Star Trek because of the villain 😉
        That’s the only sequel on your list I am waiting for with high anticipation

• September 25, 2012 11:28 am

I can admire your reason though 🙂

1. It’s “Time to Vote Tuesday!” 117 « The Focused Filmographer