It’s “Time to Vote Tuesday!” 117

September 18, 2012

What is “Time to Vote Tuesday”?:

Last week’s poll, Second-Part Sequels has now closed with 39 votes. The results are in and the part 2 movie expected to do better than its predecessor more than the others on the list was chosen. Not a single movie on the list went without a vote this past week. Surprisingly, Taken 2 doesn’t seem to be a choice by voters to exceed the first (one of my votes would have gone to Taken 2). The movie most expected to outperform the first in a series was:

The Avengers. The sequel is going to have plenty of general reception and generated revenue! Will it have more than the first? Only time will tell! 🙂 Thanks to all that voted. Be sure to check out the results from last week’s polls HERE.

I wish to thank everyone that voted in last week’s poll, shared it with others, and added to the conversation with your comments!

—————-

In this edition of ‘TVT’ this week’s poll, entitled “Survival of the Fittest”, takes a look at survival movies.

Now, survival movies can be considered a genre all on their own. However, it is a bit broad. To narrow things down a little bit, this poll is not referencing survival due to zombies, post-apocalyptic events, MOST wars, or end of the world/cataclysmic event. So, for example: We are not talking about 28 Days Later, The Day After Tomorrow, 2012, The Book of Eli, Behind Enemy Lines, or Cloverfield. ha.

What we ARE talking about are movies where a person or persons had to fight against the elements and odds stacked against them to try to survive whilst being marooned, shipwrecked, abandoned, etc.

So, think along the lines of Castaway (WIIIILLLLLSSSSSOOOOONNNNN), Robinson Crusoe, The Swiss Family Robinson, Seven Alone, War of the Worlds (Just kidding on that one. See? you ARE paying attention!). Some of the “Man vs. Wild” stuff in film. 🙂

Today I ask you to consider:

Let me know in the comments which you picked. Do you think another movie should be in the poll?

The poll closes on 9-25-12 and the results will post on next week’s “Time to Vote Tuesday!”

***Don’t forget: For regular updates on movie news, rumors, pictures, posters, and more, FOLLOW ME on Twitter and Facebook.

1. September 18, 2012 10:48 am

I voted for Castaway and other [The Way Back]. I haven’t seen the rest but I might give The Pianist a watch one of these days.

• September 18, 2012 10:49 am

Yay, FIRST!!! 😀

• September 18, 2012 10:50 am

🙂 haha. You beat Tim this week!

• September 18, 2012 10:51 am

Nice choices! I haven’t seen The Way Back and have been meaning to! Thanks for the reminder and thanks for voting today.

(the post was a little late in publishing…I got to sleep in on my day off today a little) 😀

• September 18, 2012 10:54 am

Well I have the review of that movie on my blog from a while ago, you’re welcome to check it out 🙂 Glad to hear you got to sleep in a bit. Btw, I’ve got the TCFF lineup up, I’m so excited that we’ve got some great studio films!

2. Ted S. permalink
    September 18, 2012 10:55 am

I voted for Castaway too; but I do wish we get a better adaptation of Lord of the Flies someday. The two films that have been adapted were pretty bad, especially the American version, so many bad kid actors in it. I hope someone like Scorsese or Fincher would take a stab at adapting it for the big screen soon.

• September 19, 2012 12:37 pm

a new rendition of Lord of the Flies isn’t necessarily a bad idea there Ted. and I like the idea of Fincher directing.

3. September 18, 2012 11:20 am

The Grey should of been on the list.

• September 18, 2012 11:22 am

ha. it was…and then it made way for Deliverance and Jeremiah Johnson. haha. hence the “Other” option.

4. Chris permalink
    September 18, 2012 12:32 pm

Towering inferno and poseidon adventure.

• September 19, 2012 12:37 pm

Poseidon adventure! 😀

thanks for voting today Chris

5. September 18, 2012 12:42 pm

I just voted the shit out of this poll!

6. September 18, 2012 1:04 pm

I went with “The Pianist” and “127 Hours” although I really wanted to give “Castaway” some love. I stayed away from “Other” just because there are SOOOO many survival movies out there.

• September 19, 2012 12:38 pm

Great choices there Keith. there are so many choices, like you said. I like the fact that you chose Danny Boyle’s 127 Hours. Man that was intense, yeah?

• September 19, 2012 1:33 pm

Absolutely. It was vintage Boyle – amazing camera work and perfect music. And Franco was fantastic.

• September 25, 2012 11:25 am

agreed. Franco really did some fantastic work there. Man, so memorable

7. Chris permalink
    September 18, 2012 1:24 pm

Hunger games, running man, Texas chainsaw massacre, jack, batman and robin.

• September 19, 2012 12:38 pm

I think the only survivor in batman and robin is the viewer

• September 19, 2012 2:35 pm

Ahahaha, I LOVE that comment, T. Sooo true!

• September 25, 2012 11:25 am

heehee 😀 Thanks Ruth

8. September 18, 2012 8:34 pm

I must abstain…I have difficulty watching these, especially since I saw this one called ALIVE I think it was…a bunch of Argentinian soccer players crash-landed in the Andes or whatever & cannibalism ensued…although I enjoyed HUNGER GAMES, that’s as close as I’ll get to a survival movie again.

• September 19, 2012 12:39 pm

ha. I understand. But sometimes they are so great at showing the triumph of the human spirit. and other times they can be downright depressing. haha. I didn’t really see the Hunger Games as being in this category, but it seems that several do.

• September 19, 2012 2:36 pm

Ohhhh ALIVE was so hard to watch, I mean they had to resort to cannibalism on their own friends!! I know I can’t watch some of these, like 127 Hours. I probably pass out!

• September 25, 2012 11:26 am

127 Hours was sooo good though!

9. September 19, 2012 1:36 am

Pretty tough as all the films are so different. Still I posted a vote, for into the wild and deliverance

• September 19, 2012 12:39 pm

hooray for voting for the underdogs here Scott!

10. September 19, 2012 5:26 am

I haven’t seen most of them yet!! I chose Castaway because I really like that movie…2hours hardly felt like 2 hours even though there was only one man on the screen.

Btw T…do stop by on my blog, you will love my latest post 😉
    …and read one of the comments, someone loved your celebrity crush too 😉

• September 19, 2012 12:40 pm

Castaway is a fine choice still, my friend.

oh, and I did make sure to speak up for my lady on your page! 😉

11. September 19, 2012 7:46 am

Hi, Terence and company:

I went with the original 1963 ‘Lord of the Flies’. No other film describes and defines the structure of a society and its immediate downfall.

Also chose ‘Other’. And proffer ‘Hell in the Pacific’ (1968). Where Lee Marvin is a downed Marine pilot trying to survive on an isolated island with Toshiro Mifune as a lone surviving Japanese soldier. A very lean, near spartan little gem with hardly any dialogue.

• September 19, 2012 12:41 pm

Hi Kevin! I had a feeling you might vote for Lord of the Flies. Glad you did.

although, I will say I thought you might choose Jeremiah Johnson as your second. You got me there with your “other” choice! Nicely played. 😀

• September 19, 2012 3:49 pm

Hi, Terrence!

To quote Samuel L. Jackson in ‘Pulp Fiction’, “Allow me to retort.” 🙂

Your premise of ‘Man vs. Nature’ has merit. Though in the story and film of ‘Jeremiah Johnson’, the hero, Johnson willingly goes into the wilderness to escape civilization.

The hook in all ‘Man vs. Nature’ films is that the heroes or central characters are placed there by happenstance or a turn of events. Thus making your selection of ‘Jeremiah Johnson’ flawed, though admirable.

Added to the fact that outside of him working with Paul Newman, I’ve never been much of a fan of Robert Redford.

Securing my Soapbox.
        Carry on.

• September 25, 2012 11:27 am

Thank you for the fun retort! Love it!

and you’re so right. the man vs. nature is better when they happen to be in the situation as opposed to willingly going into it. I hadn’t considered that. a flaw on my part indeed! 😀

not a Redford fan? Unheard of!!! haha

12. Emmalee permalink
    September 19, 2012 11:07 am

I voted for Cast Away and 127 hours. My “other” pick would have been The Edge. Does Into the Wild count as a survivor movie? *SPOILER* He dies in the end…

• September 19, 2012 12:42 pm

I concur with your choices but I really can’t with The Edge. for me at least.

Into the Wild is still a plausible choice. he was a survivor…just not for as long as others. 🙂

13. September 19, 2012 11:35 am

Some of these films don’t have happy endings… 🙂

I voted for Deliverance and Buried, the latter of which is sorely underrated.

• September 19, 2012 12:44 pm