It’s “Time to Vote Tuesday!” 128

December 4, 2012

What is “Time to Vote Tuesday”?:

Last week’s poll entitled What the Dickens? has now closed with a total of 19 votes. I imagine that the choices must have been too difficult since the end result finished with a tie in choosing a new cast for an imagined remake of “A Christmas Carol.” Be sure to check out the results in from last week’s poll HERE.

christmascarol

I wish to thank everyone that voted in last week’s polls, shared it with others, and added to the conversation with your comments!

—————-

In this edition of ‘TVT’ this week’s poll, entitled “What’s so Special?”, we take a look at a Special-Limited-Collector’s editions of movies on Blu-ray/DVD.

Today, The Dark Knight Rises released on Blu-Ray/DVD. And I couldn’t help myself but to get one of the special trilogy collector’s editions. (No, I didn’t get the BIG one with the Batman cowl, I’m not THAT big of a fan…I saved that kinda stuff for Spider-Man. Observe:collector's envy

And, yes, you DO see TWO copies of The Amazing Spider-Man there. One stays sealed while the other one is for watching. You may also observe that the special edition of Spider-Man 2 is also still sealed from 8 years ago (I have 3 other copies of it. haha). Don’t ask me why I keep some of them sealed. Perhaps one day I think they will be worth a lot of money, but I probably won’t even want to sell them, so, again, I have no idea why I do it, but I do.

Are you the same? Do you buy special editions? Do you open them? Do you watch everything? Do you buy an extra copy? Do you even care? (Oh man, I just thought about something: What am I going to do when the special Marvel Phase 1 briefcase finally does release in the spring? Am I gonna end up buying TWO?! That’s crazy!) hahamarvel-cinematic-universe--phase-one---avengers-assembled-1342030885

I know I’m not alone in picking up special editions of movies. Some of you have the Lord of the Rings or Star Wars or perhaps even Harry Potter or Blade Runner.

Today I ask you:

‘Fess Up! 😀 I’m interested in knowing if you just HAVE to have special editions like I do sometimes…or maybe all the time! 🙂 In the comment section, let me know what special collector’s editions you own. Vote before the poll closes on 12-11-12. The results will post on next week’s “Time to Vote Tuesday!”

***Don’t forget: For regular updates on movie news, rumors, pictures, posters, and more, FOLLOW ME on Twitter and Facebook.

———-

1. Chris permalink
    December 4, 2012 2:21 pm

I don’t do with every movie, but if its something I really enjoy watching and want to see more special features or have some sort of little trinket I do. I think with batman I’ll get the blu ray trilogy because I don’t have any if them on blu ray and some of the special features I’ve not seen. Otherwise I would just wait until the super trilogy comes out, which will happen I I’ve learned anything from Star Wars. That’s always the problem with movies. The get re released in bigger better versions with new special features so often I’m afraid to buy any of the versions.

• December 5, 2012 12:47 pm

🙂

I thought for sure you’d be all over TDKR spec ed Chris. haha. I hear what your saying about the re-releases thought. ah-nnoy-ing

2. Josh Lozano permalink
    December 4, 2012 2:41 pm

Hardly ever, because special editions are so stupid now. I can only choose basic DVD or the DVD/bluray/3d/digital copy/toaster oven/brain broadcast version. What happened to special edition being the movie with all kinds of sweet out takes and interviews and stuff?

• December 5, 2012 12:48 pm

they figured they could get more money from just putting the words “special edition” and giving it a different cover but no different content. so, that’s what they do now…

3. December 4, 2012 5:02 pm

Great topic T! I REALLY REALLY wanted the Inception briefcase but it sold out before I could get one. Off the top of my head, 2 recent ones we’ve bought are Lord of the Rings trilogy & Star Trek (2009).

• December 5, 2012 12:49 pm

Thanks Paula! Oh, I remember that Inception briefcase! I wanted that too and didn’t get it.

I like your special edition choices. Thanks for voting today

4. December 4, 2012 10:46 pm

I voted for the second one but now I can’t remember which ones I had bought, ahah. I did plan on getting the special edition Ben-Hur box set but waiting for the price to come down 😀

• December 5, 2012 12:49 pm

haha. I think most people are choosing #2 and it makes sense. This would prob be the season to catch Ben Hur on special. Hope you get it soon

• December 5, 2012 12:52 pm

I’ll see if there’s any post Christmas deals for it. It’d be a great one to enjoy over the holidays. Btw, do stop by for Five for the Fifth, T. I’ll be off for a 2-week vacation starting Friday 🙂

• December 5, 2012 12:53 pm

I will. thank you for reminding me. I LOVE the fifth.

2 weeks! Oh, I hope you enjoy your vacation! (I’m a lil jealous) 🙂

5. December 5, 2012 9:13 am

Since i don’t have money to buy movies often and y dad will sometimes get special editions, i will go with 2

With that said, if i have a special edition, it will not stay unopened 🙂

• December 5, 2012 12:50 pm

I know, I should open them, but something keeps me from it. haha

6. December 5, 2012 10:50 am

I have only ever purchased 2 special editions, Star Trek and Dark Knight. I bought Dark Knight because it was cheaper than the regular edition when it was on sale at Target. And I bought Star Trek because I wanted to be able to have the Enterprise on my bookshelf. I never watch any of the bonus features or extra discs and only have any interest in the movie. As it is, Dark Knight came in a Batman mask which is kinda cool but mostly annoying because it doesn’t fit on my shelf with everything else and is a pain to dust. So in that particular instance, my practical and annoyed side wins out over my geeky, Batman loving side.

• December 5, 2012 12:51 pm

hooray for the practical and annoyed, huh?! haha.

I hate when the special edition stuff doesn’t fit. It’s kinda counter-productive. But I’m sure that the Enterprise on your bookshelf is pretty awesome!

7. December 5, 2012 9:22 pm

Very, very rarely. A lot of the special editions are too bulky, and I just don’t have the space for them. Same thing goes with video games. Even when they are marked down heavily, I usually pass on picking them up.

• December 12, 2012 8:39 am

I know what you mean about the space, Eric. Sometimes they just don’t fit right at all and that’s frustrating.

8. bdgill12 permalink
    December 5, 2012 11:59 pm

I used to be really good/bad (depending on your point of view) about getting the most updated special edition of every movie I owned. But since the advent of Blu-Ray, I’ve been more selective about what movies get the special treatment and which don’t. I guess if I have an immediate choice upon first release I usually go with the special edition but I’m far less prone to buying the inevitable super special edition that tends to follow years down the line unless it’s a REALLY big movie for me. That said, I’m going to have a very hard time not buying that Marvel case even though I have them all on Blu anyway.

• December 12, 2012 8:40 am

i tend to agree about being more selective. I think that I still will be getting the Marvel case right along side you. haha

1. It’s “Time to Vote Tuesday!” 129 « The Focused Filmographer