It’s “Time to Vote Tuesday!” 129

December 11, 2012

What is “Time to Vote Tuesday”?:

Last week’s poll entitled What’s so Special? has now closed with a total of 23 votes. I asked for your opinion of special edition movie purchases, and divulged some information about my own personal insanity when it comes to them. haha. It seems that most of you are all in the same line of thinking as I when it comes to purchasing “special collector’s limited editions” of movies when they release. We have George Lucas to thank for making us hesitate to spend extra $ for collector’s editions because, as soon as we do, then another version with even MORE extra special features releases that costs MORE $$. Thanks, George…Thanks. 😀

Be sure to check out the results in from last week’s poll HERE.avengers-marvel-universe-blu-ray-slice

I wish to thank everyone that voted in last week’s polls, shared it with others, and added to the conversation with your comments!

—————-

In this edition of ‘TVT’ this week’s poll, entitled “Superhero Smorgasboard”, we take a look at the exploding genre of superhero movies.

I am part of a club called “The Nerd Book Club” that a friend of mine put together. There’s about 15-20 of us and every month we pick a Comicbook graphic novel to read and meet up at a local restaurant at the end of the month and discuss/debate. We’ve read The Killing Joke, V for Vendetta, along with others. It is quite a bit of fun. We had our monthly meeting this past weekend and the subject of superhero movies came up.

With the just announced Fantastic Four reboot, I shared my slight turn offs about all of the recent superhero movies and superhero reboots being done. (I mean, Batman-TDKR just came out on blu-ray and they are already trying to detail the reboot). Don’t get me wrong. I love my superheroes, but when is enough enough? The next few years are so packed:

2013– The Wolverine, Man of Steel, Iron Man 3, RED 2 (belongs to DC Comics), Sin City: A Dame to Kill For, Thor: The Dark World

2014– Captain America: The Winter Soldier, The Amazing Spider-Man 2, Ninja Turtles, Transformers 4, X-Men: Days of Future Past, Guardians of the Galaxy

2015- Fantastic Four, Avengers 2, The Justice League, Ant-Man

I have a feeling that SMB is going to be a medical epidemic soon. (SMB=S.uperhero M.ovie B.urnout) You heard it here first, folks!2285028-marvel_vs_dc1

But, if Hollywood is going to create this epidemic, they might as well do a good job at it. There have been rumors and fan-cries for several other superhero movies to be made over the past few years. Luke Cage, Flash, Wonder Woman, etc.

Today I ask you:

Indeed, the superhero genre is the “THING” now. (And I will say that I am thankful to see better renditions with the technology advancements. Slowly, my memories of David Hasselhoff as Nick Fury and the badly done Captain America movie of decades ago are fading). Are you a fan of superhero movies? Do you think it’s too much? Do you hope for more? Let me know your thoughts in the comment section. Vote before the poll closes on 12-18-12. The results will post on next week’s “Time to Vote Tuesday!”

***Don’t forget: For regular updates on movie news, rumors, pictures, posters, and more, FOLLOW ME on Twitter and Facebook.

———-

1. December 11, 2012 10:27 am

Yeah, I think the studios are endangering the superhero movie by flooding the market. While the comic book will always be there, it is all the rest that really make up the large audience. Kill that and there’s no blockbuster. Good point, T.

• December 12, 2012 12:03 pm

It’s a thin line to tread. I hope they do it well. but some of the choices make me scratch my head in wonder. Did you see Jonah Hex? (well, if you didn’t…DONT)

• December 12, 2012 12:24 pm

Fortunately, no. That just looked so bad. Thanks, T.

2. December 11, 2012 10:36 am

Powerman and Iron Fist, Tarantino Directs. He’d give a movie based on those two just the right amount of camp.

• December 12, 2012 12:03 pm

I like how you think Jarod!

3. December 11, 2012 10:46 am

I’m ma big fan of Aquaman and would love it if he kicked some ass in a movie. As for the Blank Panther, I think he is cool character that a lot of people don’t know about and a movie would change that–like Blade and Kick-Ass.

• December 12, 2012 12:07 pm

AquaFAN, huh? Nice. It’d be tricky, but as long as it doesn’t look like this I’d be okay:

• December 12, 2012 12:23 pm

What are you talking about? That’s exactly how it should look like.

• December 12, 2012 12:33 pm

haha well, perhaps that’s why I’m not a big Aquaman fan to begin with. 😉

4. December 11, 2012 10:54 am

I’m a big Green Lantern fan so a reboot will be great for me since the last one was a big disappointment.

• December 12, 2012 12:07 pm

Green Lantern deserves a reboot. for sure. (yuck). I say, make Bradley Cooper the GL and let Reynolds be Flash for Justice League

5. December 11, 2012 11:18 am

I went with Wonder Woman and Black Panther, because they would add some diversity to the mostly white guy dominated superhero film genre. In particular, i think Bigelow would be a great choice as director for a Wonder Woman film.

She Hulk would be my 3rd choice, for similar reasons

• December 12, 2012 12:15 pm

I like your logic and reasons. She Hulk would be pretty neat, huh?

• December 12, 2012 1:32 pm

Indeed. Unfortunately the female superhero movies we’ve gotten so far have be…bad to average, but i think that has more to do with studios not really pulling out their A-team for them.

6. angel permalink
    December 11, 2012 11:29 am

I think things will be ok if the movies are good. If were seeing a big influx of movies but not with the same quality we so far have had, then we are going to be in a world of hurt with all these movies. I think as long as the movies are the same quality, we will stay happy. If we get nothing but x-men last stand and rise of the silver surfer, then that would suck indeed.

• December 17, 2012 8:31 pm

Thanks for weighing in Angel. I hope they continue to do well, but during these times when they can make good ones, they still make bad ones (i.e. Jonah Hex)

7. Ted S. permalink
    December 11, 2012 11:43 am

I voted for Punisher reboot just because the first two films (three counting the Dolph Lundgren version from 1990) were pretty dreadful. I think with the right talent behind the scenes, this character could be very interesting. But Marvel seems to always hired untalented hacks to take on the character. I would love see someone like David Fincher do a Punisher film, with his style the film would look spectacular and of course he knows how to shoot violent scenes.

• December 12, 2012 12:15 pm

I did not like the Punisher films. any of them. and agree. Ooh and Fincher at the helm. Nice choice

8. Chris permalink
    December 11, 2012 12:16 pm

I would like to see some jsa movies. They’re my favorite super hero group. Now the while group thing is always tricky in a movie. So I would like to see either a group movie that focuses on one or two characters or one that’s just about the one maybe two characters and the others can make cameos. Similar to something like iron man 2. Anyways the character I’d love to see more of is wildcat. If we had to have another, it would be a captain marvel.

Or there was a series a long time ago called marvels, which had all these super heroes from the perspective of photographers and everyday people. That would be interesting to see in film I think.

• December 12, 2012 12:16 pm

Hi Chris. Thanks for weighing in today.

The Marvels would be an interesting project. I agree.

9. December 11, 2012 1:32 pm

I would love to see a super hardcore, R rated Team 7/Deathblow movie, and a Punisher reboot.

• December 12, 2012 12:16 pm

Nice choices, Em. Thanks for voting this week and commenting. We don’t get too many R-rated superhero movies and I think the ones you mentioned would be good additions.

10. December 12, 2012 2:52 am

Definitely Deadpool (if it’s done right) but the others leave me a little cold to be honest. I’m starting to grow a little tiresome of the deluge of superhero films as of late to be honest.

• December 12, 2012 12:34 pm

Deadpool better be announced soon. and better be done right. haha.

11. December 12, 2012 3:28 am

As much as I love the superhero film genre, I think we’re going to be in for a bit of super hero film fatigue. Don’t get me wrong, I’m looking forward to the next Avengers, Iron Man and Thor. It’s the reboots I’m getting tired of. I doubt there’s been a period of time when there hasn’t been a comic book film on the big screen. And that makes me a little sad and pine for a good original screenplay driven film.

• December 12, 2012 12:34 pm

I’m with you there Jaina. thanks for voting today

12. Aidy permalink
    December 12, 2012 5:17 am

Hey now T! Finally getting around to show everyone some love. School is a beast and I am missing out on some really great posts! Good to see you are still as awesome as ever! I’m with Jaina in that I am a bit worn for Superhero flicks. I think they’ve been trying to do Wonder Woman for how many years now? Making these films are just too easy, and are money makers. Sigh. Guess we just have to sit tight and go with the flow. Hopefully, something really good will come along.

• December 12, 2012 12:35 pm

Hi Aidy. So happy to see you. hope school has been well. I appreciate the kind compliment. Hope to not disappoint! 🙂

I am glad you agree on the superhero movies. I hope that the ones they do end up done well at least.

13. jackdeth72 permalink
    December 12, 2012 7:22 pm

Hi, Terrence and company:

I wouldn’t mind seeing a ‘Punisher’ re-boot. Though more in the vein that Stan Lee created. With Frank Castle being Marvel Comics answer to the then very popular, Mack Bolan, ‘The Executioner’ and his 30 plus novel war against the Mafia. Far less comic book super hero and far more vengeful strategist.

Also chose ‘Other’.

Would not mind seeing a film on ‘Sgt. Rock of Easy Company’. Set in WWII Europe. Large budgeted and with something close to Dale Dye’s or Steven Spielberg’s penchant for technical advice and execution.

Max Martini (‘Saving Private Ryan’, ‘The Unit’) would make either a great Punisher or Sgt. Rock.

• December 17, 2012 8:32 pm

I always love the “other” choices you bring Jackdeth. Thanks so much.

I didn’t enjoy the PUnisher movies and would like to see them redone

14. December 13, 2012 9:12 am

Hi T 🙂
    I just met Ruth and we talk a bit about you…and I remember I haven’t been visiting in ages.

Anyway…O voted others, I want to see superheroes like Heroes (TV series which unfortunately only good in first season)…you know superheroes without tight suit 😉

• December 13, 2012 9:29 am

So happy you got to meet Ruth. You have done something that is on my bucket list! 🙂

I wish I could’ve been a part of that joyous occasion. How wonderful. I hope that you are well. Thanks for voting. I remembered you weren’t a big superhero fan and wondered what you might vote when you saw the poll. Thanks for being here my friend. Tell Ruth I said hello, please.

1. It’s “Time to Vote Tuesday!” 130 « The Focused Filmographer