It’s “Time to Vote Tuesday!” 130

December 18, 2012

What is “Time to Vote Tuesday”?:

Last week’s poll entitled Superhero Smorgasboard has now closed with a total of 47 votes. I asked for your opinion of superhero movies and which of all the rumored/desired/projected superhero movie projects you would like to someday see officially announced. The votes are in and Wonder Woman barely won in a close race against another preferred superhero.ww

Be sure to check out the results in from last week’s poll HERE.

I wish to thank everyone that voted in last week’s polls, shared it with others, and added to the conversation with your comments!

—————-

In this edition of ‘TVT’ this week’s poll, entitled “Happy Birthday, Mr. Spielberg”, we, of course, give best wishes to one of the most famous directors and filmlovers in the world: Steven Spielberg (who turns 66 today).

Spielberg, who uses one of my most favorite music composers almost exclusively (John Williams) is one of the most influential filmmakers in the world. Winner of three Academy Awards and nominated for many others, his films often touch the hearts of each viewer in a different and/or special way. Known for his sentimentalism in his stories and his sense of nostalgia, it may surprise some viewers to realize that many of his protagonists come from broken/divorced homes. (A reflection of his own childhood).steven_spielberg_et_go_home

Here are a few other trivia tidbits about the acclaimed/celebrated director:

• Credited with starting a tradition that movie fans now enjoy, Spielberg began the “Summer Blockbuster” phenom with the surprising release of Jaws in 1975.
  • Is the Godfather of Drew Barrymore and Gwyneth Paltrow
  • Gave up the director’s chair for the movie Big in order to not steal the limelight from the co-writer of the script…his sister Anne Spielberg
  • Close friends with George Lucas (advocate for digital filmmaking), but supports the opposing view.
  • Although he has directed 9 actors in Oscar-nominated performances, he has never directed an Oscar-winning performance (Liam Neeson; Ralph Fiennes; Anthony Hopkins; Tom Hanks; Melinda Dillon; Whoopi Goldberg; Oprah Winfrey; Margaret Avery and Christopher Walken). Perhaps LINCOLN will change that.
  • For more trivia tidbits visit IMDB

Some fantastic films have come from the 66-year old director and here’s to many more! HAPPY BIRTHDAY STEVEN SPIELBERG!spielberg_steven_website

Today I ask you:

Let me know your favorite Spielberg films in the comment section. Vote before the poll closes on 12-25-12. The results will post on next week’s “Time to Vote Tuesday!”

*CORRECTION: TVT will not publish next week on Christmas Day. The segment will resume the following week on January 1, 2013!

***Don’t forget: For regular updates on movie news, rumors, pictures, posters, and more, FOLLOW ME on Twitter and Facebook.

———-

1. December 18, 2012 1:54 pm

That’s an impossible question, but since I know you would probably twist my arm for an answer I’ve chosen E.T. and Raiders…. 😉

• December 20, 2012 9:40 pm

haha. yes, submit to the arm twisting! 🙂 Thanks for voting this week, Nostra!

2. December 18, 2012 1:57 pm

On the list I voted for both Jaws and E. T. as Spielberg’s best. I’d also like to mention A. I., which is his most underrated film.

• December 20, 2012 9:41 pm

ooh, and honorable mention for A.I. nice! I was wondering which “other” films would get brought up. Thanks for voting

3. December 18, 2012 2:00 pm

One of my favorite film is Minority Report which I think is one of Speilberg’s best and I think it could of made that list.

• December 20, 2012 9:42 pm

Ooh, Minority Report. It’s easy to see where Iron Man may have copied some tech stuff from when watching that one, huh? Nice mention of an “other” Spielberg film. Thanks for voting

4. December 18, 2012 2:09 pm

You put “Hook” on this list? What about “1941”?

• December 20, 2012 9:43 pm

Lookie, Lookie, I caught a Hookie! haha.

Yes, and no one (so far) has voted for it. Perhaps 1941 should’ve been in the poll. 🙂 sorry, Victor. but, hey, at least you were able to mention it and vote in the “other” category! Thanks for voting.

5. December 18, 2012 2:09 pm

Raiders and Saving Private Ryan are both classics in my mind.

• December 20, 2012 9:45 pm

Both great in my mind as well. Thanks for voting!

6. December 18, 2012 2:23 pm

I went for Saving Private Ryan and I voted for Other because Catch Me If You Can isn’t on that list! I loved Saving Private Ryan the first time I saw it and CMIYC is one of my all time favourites! I don’t think it’s a typical Spielberg film and not one he is incredibly well known for but I think it’s brilliant!

• December 20, 2012 9:46 pm

CMIYC! a nice one that, you’re right, is not his typical “Sentimental Spielberg.” Sometimes, daring to be different pays off for filmmakers. And it seems that’s the case with this one for you. Thanks for taking the time to vote/share/comment.

7. Chris permalink
    December 18, 2012 2:27 pm

Tough choices. I picked raiders and SPR. They may not e the best he’s done but if I absolutely had to choose, those would probably be my favorites. With raiders of the lost ark probably as my favorite Spielberg movie.

• December 20, 2012 9:47 pm

2 of the more popular choices it seems. it is a tough list to choose from. Raiders is your fave? Would you have liked it more, do you think, if Tom Selleck had been Indy? Cuz he almost was.

8. December 18, 2012 8:11 pm

Good question! I went with Saving Private Ryan and ‘other’ — Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.

• December 20, 2012 9:48 pm

the Last Crusade, huh? Nice. What makes you like that one over Raiders? Just curious.

9. December 19, 2012 3:45 am

Such a difficult choice. There’s a couple there I haven’t seen, which is pretty shocking really. Jurassic Park and Saving Private Ryan for me.

• December 20, 2012 9:49 pm

Isn’t Jurassic Park just stunning? Such an iconic film. And Saving Private Ryan…whew what a movie. Thanks for voting today. Which one(s) of these that you haven’t seen did you just add to your Netflix queue? 🙂

10. December 19, 2012 4:08 am

Be more than happy to vote for any of those, so went for Jurassic Park and ET. Absolute classics for me.

• December 20, 2012 9:50 pm

Hey Jaina! Thanks for voting. They were some great films for sure. Gotta love learning that Drew Barrymore is Spielberg’s goddaughter. esp seeing her in ET.

11. December 19, 2012 5:56 am

Man, wish I could tick 4 options, then I will do JP, JAWS, ET and Raiders. But went with JP and ET cos those are the films a grew up on!

• December 20, 2012 9:50 pm

hahaha. yes, I think lots of voters this week wish they could pick more than 2. 🙂

Thanks for voting. Appreciate you taking the time.

12. December 19, 2012 8:26 am

Shameful that Jaws has only 4 votes. Terrible. 😦

• December 20, 2012 9:51 pm

ha. the week’s not over my friend. There will be more votes most assuredly. Send some to vote for Jaws if you want!

13. jackdeth72 permalink
    December 19, 2012 9:24 am

Hi, Terrence and company:

I went with ‘Jaws’ and ‘Raiders’.

If I was in an “Other” mood. I would have included Spielberg’s first effort, ‘Duel’.

A made for Television film for ABC’s Movie of the Week series, That featured a righteously paranoid Dennis Weaver driving cross country while being pursued by a demonic semi tractor trailer rig. A great example of no-budget bang for the buck!

Didn’t grow up with friendly aliens or monsters. So ‘E.T.’ doesn’t make the cut.

Outside of its opening half hour. ‘Saving Private Ryan’ is nothing more than an extended episode of ABC’s 1960’s superb WWII series ‘Combat!’.

• December 20, 2012 9:52 pm

ouch. interesting opinion on Saving Private Ryan. haha. I LOVE that movie so much. 🙂

always enjoy learning from you in your comments, my friend. Thank you.

14. December 19, 2012 9:53 am

Close Encounters is his best film in my eyes. Surprised I’m the first to vote for it. My second choice went to Jaws.

• December 20, 2012 9:54 pm

I’m not sure what movie I was expecting you to pick, Dan, but it wasn’t Close Encounters. Nice choice.

15. December 20, 2012 9:56 am

I’d love to vote all of them!!! you should have put others and all of them in the vote 😉

• December 20, 2012 9:57 pm

haha. I DID think about doing that, my friend. haha. but…I didn’t. glad to know you are a fan of these movies and this poll. Did you end up voting for a couple specific movies then?

• December 25, 2012 12:52 pm