Today is Tuesday! and if you’ve been coming here for any length of time, you know that, for most people Tuesday is just the day after Monday, but for you it means that “Time to Vote Tuesday” is here!! YES!!!
What is “Time to Vote Tuesday”?:
“Time to Vote Tuesday” is the session of fun weekly polls which spark thought, debate, and intrigue! Each poll closes in a week with results posted on the following ‘TVT’!
Last week’s poll entitled “Superhero Smorgasboard“ has now closed with a total of 47 votes. I asked for your opinion of superhero movies and which of all the rumored/desired/projected superhero movie projects you would like to someday see officially announced. The votes are in and Wonder Woman barely won in a close race against another preferred superhero.
Be sure to check out the results in from last week’s poll HERE.
I wish to thank everyone that voted in last week’s polls, shared it with others, and added to the conversation with your comments!
In this edition of ‘TVT’ this week’s poll, entitled “Happy Birthday, Mr. Spielberg”, we, of course, give best wishes to one of the most famous directors and filmlovers in the world: Steven Spielberg (who turns 66 today).
Spielberg, who uses one of my most favorite music composers almost exclusively (John Williams) is one of the most influential filmmakers in the world. Winner of three Academy Awards and nominated for many others, his films often touch the hearts of each viewer in a different and/or special way. Known for his sentimentalism in his stories and his sense of nostalgia, it may surprise some viewers to realize that many of his protagonists come from broken/divorced homes. (A reflection of his own childhood).
Here are a few other trivia tidbits about the acclaimed/celebrated director:
- Credited with starting a tradition that movie fans now enjoy, Spielberg began the “Summer Blockbuster” phenom with the surprising release of Jaws in 1975.
- Is the Godfather of Drew Barrymore and Gwyneth Paltrow
- Gave up the director’s chair for the movie Big in order to not steal the limelight from the co-writer of the script…his sister Anne Spielberg
- Close friends with George Lucas (advocate for digital filmmaking), but supports the opposing view.
- Although he has directed 9 actors in Oscar-nominated performances, he has never directed an Oscar-winning performance (Liam Neeson; Ralph Fiennes; Anthony Hopkins; Tom Hanks; Melinda Dillon; Whoopi Goldberg; Oprah Winfrey; Margaret Avery and Christopher Walken). Perhaps LINCOLN will change that.
- For more trivia tidbits visit IMDB
Some fantastic films have come from the 66-year old director and here’s to many more! HAPPY BIRTHDAY STEVEN SPIELBERG!
Let me know your favorite Spielberg films in the comment section. Vote before the poll closes on 12-25-12. The results will post on next week’s “Time to Vote Tuesday!”
*CORRECTION: TVT will not publish next week on Christmas Day. The segment will resume the following week on January 1, 2013!
Thanks for reading! Happy Watching!
–T, The Focused Filmographer