Now Streaming…Netflix “No-No’s”

January 16, 2013

Greetings!

Consider this: You finally have a night off alone and you experience an unexpected realization that you have 2-3 hours of free time to do whatever you want! What do you do?

1. Turn on your xbox?keep-calm-and-play-xbox-216

2. Read a book?

3. Browse YouTube videos?

4. Go to the movies?

All sounds fun, and then you remember that you have a Netflix account and can stream a movie without having to go sit among some chatty movie watchers or having to try to sneak your own candy and coke into the theater all “Mission Impossible” style.

The problem: The “Good” movie choices on Netflix streaming tend to be “diamonds in the rough.”nowstreamingnetflix

How many times have you pressed “play” on a title only to find out 2, 10, 45 mins later that it was a waste of your time and you kept watching either (1) in futile hope of it redeeming itself, or (2) for fear of searching/choosing a different title only to be met with the same disappointment, or (3) in some valiant altruistic effort to finish what you started?

Don't be mad!

Is this YOU?!

Never fear! I am here to end this epidemic known as “Streaming Sadness.” This first post is the inaugural article in a series I have entitled:

nowstreaming

(**I only use Netflix regularly. So, while I check out what is on AmazonPrime, CinemaNow, Crackle, Hulu+ and other such streaming services respectively, this series only focuses on that with which I am most familiar. Feel free to leave comments/recommendations from the other streaming services you may enjoy if you wish.)

So below I have 2 currently available “Now Streaming Netflix No-No’s” for you, along with 2 currently available alternate choices that you should choose instead! Enjoy! 😀

———-

No-No #1: Post Impact

• Post_Impact_TV-240274807-largeRated R
  • 1hr 35mins
  • Rotten Tomatoes Audience score: 23%
  • Trailer:

Looking for an end-of-the-world, post-apocalyptic type movie. Don’t watch this one. Starring Dean Cain and a bunch of other actors that are more than likely “unknowns” to you, this film is just horrific. It may appear to be “there’s-nothing-else-to-watch” good, but it isn’t. Bad acting and terrible special effects that make Harryhausen look like a CGI genius, here’s the synopsis from Netflix:

After a meteor hits Earth and leaves much of the planet a frigid, desolate wasteland, Capt. Tom Parker and his motley band of scientists and soldiers are given the dangerous mission of saving the few remaining survivors.

Alternate Choice: Deep Impact -starring Morgan Freeman, Robert Duvall, Téa Leoni, Jon Favreau and Elijah Wood. A great film that didn’t get the attention it deserved because of Armageddon!deep_impact_ver2

Netflix synopsis:

A 7-mile-wide space rock is hurtling toward Earth, threatening to obliterate the planet. To save the world, the U.S. president appoints a steely veteran astronaut to lead a joint American-Russian crew into space to destroy the comet before impact.

Trailer:

———-

No-No #2: Monsters

• monsters_ver3Rated R
  • 1hr 33mins
  • Rotten Tomatoes Audience Score: 49%
  • Trailer:

Looking for a movie with aliens/monsters, people searching for them, and danger and mystery around almost every corner? Yes? Well, you may want to still skip Monsters. A 2010 release that surprisingly was liked more by critics than audiences, but one that I still found to be rather ho-hum. By director Gareth Edwards (who is set to direct the new Godzilla), this film was nominated for several awards, but do not let that fool you. Not really worth the time. Here’s the synopsis from Netflix:

Six years after aliens invaded Earth, a photographer is documenting the war-torn Infected Zone that straddles the U.S.-Mexico border when he’s interrupted by an unexpected rescue mission.

Alternate Choice: Trollhunter :Follow an aspiring investigative reporter student and his film crew as they shadow a man they suspect to be a poacher after evidence of illegal bear shootings begin to surface in Norway. Hoping to expose a bear poacher they soon come to find that the reclusive hardened suspect believes himself to be a government-sanctioned employee on the trail of giant trolls and this one and only Trollhunter uses the “bear killings” as a part of a coverup.trolljegeren_ver2

Netflix Synopsis:

While investigating a series of suspicious bear killings, a group of students trail a mysterious “hunter” who tries to elude them at every turn. The group soon learns that his prey is far more dangerous and mystical than mere bears.

This exciting subtitled psuedo-documentary style film puts you right in the middle of the suspenseful action and is surprisingly a lot of fun to watch. Check out my friend Jaina’s review of the foreign film here.

Trailer:

———-

Well, these are just simply recommendations of Netflix No-No’s. (I’d also like to point out that EVERY single one of the reviews I have written are still always available to check out by clicking the link on the top of the page that says “List of Movie Reviews…the Archive.”) What do you think? Do you actually like the ones I posted to avoid? Share why in the comments. Have you bothered to see the alternate recommendations? Have any Netflix No-No horror stories to share of your own? Hit up the comment section.

May you all have some pretty great “Nights in with Netflix.” (Esp if you watch TROLLHUNTER). End your “Streaming Sadness” today!

nowstreaming

(Did you like this segment? Want to see more? Let me know by pressing the “Like” button or leaving a comment.)

up next: Trailer Time Thursday!

***Do not forget! Voting for the RED WEB AWARDS remains open until Saturday night. Vote for your faves before it’s too late.

Click Picture to go vote!

Click Picture to go vote!

1. Chris permalink
    January 16, 2013 1:28 pm

one of my room mates tried watching monsters. We soon realized it was crap. It looked and felt like a poorly written student film. Hell, I’d rather watch one of the overly bad cgi heavy movies like crocosaurus or titanic 2 or that one about the birds that attack everyone(not the incredible Hitchcock film, this one is more recent) simply for the fun factor and to make fun of them.

• January 16, 2013 1:48 pm

yeah. this one takes itself too serious and then fails in the effort of making it fun. Watch Trollhunter instead! 🙂

• January 16, 2013 2:00 pm

I thought it was a little boring and too subtle, but not crap. It certainly didn’t feel like a student film. I agree that Troll Hunter is far superior though.

• January 18, 2013 7:06 am

I don’t get why people liked monsters, really don’t

• January 18, 2013 10:48 pm

Tim, you’re blog should be called “Tim The COOL Film Guy” haha

• January 19, 2013 12:30 pm

Doesn’t quite roll off the tongue as well 😀

• January 21, 2013 7:15 am

hahaha

2. Trevor permalink
    January 16, 2013 1:42 pm

I’ve been meaning to give Troll Hunter a try but I’ve always been nervous about it. I’ll have to give it a shot now that you recommended it.

• January 16, 2013 1:49 pm

Trollhunter was a surprise. I watched it intending to make it a “No-No” and found myself really enjoying it.

3. January 16, 2013 2:03 pm

I think this feature is a pretty good idea. I tend to disagree with this statement though, “The “Good” movie choices on Netflix streaming tend to be “diamonds in the rough.”

Netflix has tons of great movie choices. Especially in the indie, foreign and documentary categories. Some of those get released before I ever know they’re on DVD.

My biggest issue is that the big movies they carry I’ve already seen. But at least they are there.

Also, I’m not sure anyone is surfing Netflix and thinking, “Wow, I just gotta see that Post Impact” lol.

• January 16, 2013 2:29 pm

Thanks Dusty. Ya know, good point, a lot of the good ones are ones I have already seen and there are indeed several good ones that are indie. But ya gotta mine them out. Thanks for giving me a diff lens to look thru

• January 16, 2013 2:30 pm

Lol and now more people will DEF not seek out Post Impact! Hahaha

4. January 16, 2013 2:06 pm

Aw cmon, man. Monsters was pretty good! There’s some themes there to be mined… its not really an action movie or anything. Although it has its tense moments. I guess I’m just one of those critics who liked it more than audiences!

Trollhunter’s pretty good too though!

• January 16, 2013 2:30 pm

I was surprised by Trollhunters! Ha. I may one day give Monsters another shot…but not anytime soon. Thanks for the fun comment

• January 16, 2013 10:27 pm

Hmmm, I thought Monsters was really good. We actually almost watched that one not too long ago. I knew it wasn’t an action movie, so I’m still curious about it, more than Trollhunters actually, ahah.

• January 17, 2013 5:47 am

Monsters just didn’t do it for me and was quite boring all the way through. Wish I could say diff but it made my first Netflix No-No list. haha. It is quite fun seeing the difference of opinion. I find it kinda funny that no one has mentioned Deep Impact at all. LOL.

See Trollhunters, Ruth. I think you might find it very fun. a neat spin.

• January 17, 2013 10:27 am

Thanks for having my back Ruth! At least we recognize a good movie when we see one, even if T doesn’t!! 😀

• January 17, 2013 10:35 am

LOL. Man that’s some funny stuff! I read that and actually laughed at loud! 😀

5. January 16, 2013 3:11 pm

I loved “Troll Hunter” (I even wrote about it), but I also thought “Monsters” was very good as well. It was perhaps overly-serious, but I liked how the characterization played out. It shouldn’t be dismissed and thrown into categories like “Post Impact”.

• January 16, 2013 3:19 pm

Awesome. Love seeing all the love for Trollhunter. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I like to think of it as Post Impact just happens to be in the same category as Monsters. Haha. I couldn’t get into it at all. But glad for the opposite point of view!

6. January 16, 2013 3:29 pm

I’m going to have to disagree with you on Monsters,although i liked Trollhunter also.

• January 17, 2013 5:48 am

That’s cool man. What did you like about Monsters? I found very little to praise (at least for me).

Trollhunters on the other hand…So great.

7. January 16, 2013 4:29 pm

“Troll Hunter” is a great alternate choice.

• January 17, 2013 5:49 am

YESS!! Another vote for Trollhunter. I like you, Victor! 😀

8. January 16, 2013 7:19 pm

Thank you. Monsters is a horrible waste of time with two of the dullest lead characters ever. Another alternative: Any Godzilla movie. Even the ones from the ’70s.

• January 17, 2013 5:50 am

Brian, thanks for having my back here. haha. Looks like we are in the minority on that one though. you picked up on some of the things I also didn’t appreciate about the film.

and I like some of the 70s Godzilla movies btw. Can’t be the Son of Godzilla. hahaha j/k.

9. January 17, 2013 5:39 am

Cheers for the link back, T! Always appreciated.

I’m a big fan of Monsters. Saw it in the cinema way back when. Maybe it’s not marketed quite right. Less of a monster/alien film and more of a people film. From my POV.

• January 17, 2013 5:53 am

Always a pleasure. When I was almost done with the film I remembered seeing something abt it on your page, went and commented, and decided right then that I would add the link. ha. so much fun.

I think part of the prob with Monsters for me was the marketing. I think that’s fair. It came out around the same time as the trailers started showing for Skyline (horrible) and Battle: Los Angeles (tolerably good). So the expectation was different than how it ended up.

I’m going to have to give it some time before I try to watch it with a diff perspective! 🙂

10. January 18, 2013 7:07 am

Troll Hunter!!! Really liked that film 😀

• January 18, 2013 10:48 pm

I was so surprised how much I had to keep watching and finish it. Loved it.

• January 19, 2013 12:32 pm

I was really surprised how convincing the story got considering the ridiculous plot 😀

• January 21, 2013 7:22 am

as was I. it just kept drawing me the more it kept going. It was a ton of fun

11. January 19, 2013 8:47 am

Cool idea for a feature, T. I have to admit I have been curious about Monsters, though. Heard a lot of mixed reviews on that one. But I like your choice of TrollHunter — that movie was a lot of fun.

• January 21, 2013 7:11 am

Thanks. Appreciate it.

I’m not in the fanclub for Monsters, but TrollHunter was surprisingly a lot of fun! True.