It’s “Time to Vote Tuesday!” 135

January 29, 2013

What is “Time to Vote Tuesday”?:

Last week’s poll entitled Movie Character Fight Club, Rnd 2. has now closed with an average of 24 votes per poll. You all made Round 2 so much fun as some of the fights you had to determine were between the likes of Qui-Gon Jin and Zeus, or Resident Evil’s Alice and Ultraviolet. The votes are in and the winners of each fight have been determined. Thanks for making it a blast. There will be a Round 3 soon, however, that won’t be for a few weeks so stay tuned.

Make sure you check out the results in from last week’s poll HERE.fightclub

I wish to thank everyone that voted in last week’s polls, shared it with others, and added to the conversation with your comments!

—————-

In this edition of ‘TVT’ this week’s poll, entitled “Being Bad at the Movies”, we examine just HOW good of a theatrical patron you really are! 😀

One of the pages I follow (among so many fantastic movie blogs) is fellow LAMB member Random Film Buff (at randomfilmbuff.com), and last year, she wrote a great original that she dedicated to an annoying moviegoer in front of her in her seat at a movie. I loved her poem so much! Check out the first few lines from it below:

I sit and wait; I’m in the perfect seat. I tap my feet to the pre-previews beat.

I am the only one in here. How odd. I halfway listen to the ‘Behind The Scenes’ footage while I nod.

“I KNOW RIGHT!” An intruder! She waddles in on her cellphone, scans the chairs looking for her throne.

Not next to me, not next to me, I pray inwardly. She doesn’t – she plops right in front of me.

Screaming into her cellphone. I scream inside. And what’s that smell?

She readjusts herself carefully. I am in hell.

You know you’ve been there! The entire poem of hers is a MUST-READ! Be sure to check it out HERE! (Thank you, Alley, for the very fun read!)

We’ve all had annoying movie theater experiences! Loudly quietly shushing the loud laughter in front of us, elbowing our friend next to us to stop looking at the time on their super bright cellphone, rolling our eyes as the people behind us open a can of soda (we all know the sound, and we all know that theaters don’t sell canned soda!).cinema

It’s easy to point the finger at people like that and get mad at them as the person, willing chose to sit in the middle and purchase the Big Gulp soda, makes us all suffer numerous times by cutting in front of us and stepping on our shoes in order to go relieve themselves! (SIT ON THE END!!! Arrgghhh!!!) 😀biggulphuge

BUT! Maybe YOU haven’t been the perfect moviegoer either. Hmmm….the tables are turned. Dum-dum-DUUMMMM!!!!

It’s time to fess up. I ask you today to tell me what you have been guilty of at the movies. Vote for all that are applicable as you clear your conscience. Someone, somewhere, is waiting for an apology from you. Today is your chance to anonymously give it by fessing up and voting below in today’s fun poll. 😀

Today I ask you:

Come on now, don’t be shy. Fess up to your Cinematic Sins! hahaha. And in the comment section, tell me one of your worst movie experiences that you had. It’s therapeutic and good for you to air your frustrations. I am offering the service for free today on this post! Tell your story in the comment section and enjoy others.

Hanging on my wall in my house! :)

Hanging on my wall in my house! 🙂

Vote before the poll closes on 2-5-13. The results will post on next week’s “Time to Vote Tuesday!”

***Don’t forget: For regular updates on movie news, rumors, pictures, posters, and more, FOLLOW ME on Twitter and Facebook.

———-

1. January 29, 2013 9:10 am

You know what? This is incredibly boring, but I’ve always been very good at the cinema! Never snuck in. Never been loud. Never been told to shush. NEVER looked at my phone when the film starts. I’m a freaking saint!

• January 29, 2013 9:48 am

i had such a laugh reading your comment here, Jaina! LOL. such a saint. Today I christen you “Jaina the Just”! 😀

thanks for voting! Will you be descending into any movie theaters this weekend?

2. January 29, 2013 9:18 am

That’s an awesome poem! Like Jaina though, I’ve always been a perfect angel at the cinema, ahah. I never snuck in, never been loud, and I always shut my phone off when commercial starts. Heck I hardly even brought snacks in, I’ve only brought food once or twice during film fest and that’s because I was too busy to eat beforehand.

• January 29, 2013 9:49 am

The poem is so amazing! I’ve had it bookmarked for months and referred back to it from time to time just laughing. I love it!

Look at you and Jaina…the perfect angels! 🙂 Love it! Thanks for voting today, Ruth!

3. January 29, 2013 9:26 am

I think the only one I’m guilty of is taking my own food in, but when i’m paying god knows how much for a ticket, sometimes i can’t afford the snacks as well! The other stuff is a no-go for me. If anyone talks at all or uses their phone, well, I get cross. That’s about it.

• January 29, 2013 9:51 am

oh man, don’t you just hate it when someone not only forgets to turn off their phone/ringer and it rings mid-movie…but also when they actually ANSWER the phone?!! SMH!

that happened to me during a quiet part of the movie “Warrior.” everyone was captive to hearing the guy tell his caller “no, I’m in a movie right now.” several times at varying volumes. arrgghh.

thanks for voting today on the poll!

• January 29, 2013 9:55 am

That has to be the worst. Fortunately, I’ve never had anyone answering their phone, I can’t imagine anyone being that much of an idiot! Even just texting winds me up, do they not realise how bright that light is?

I like this idea 🙂 http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-19622445

• January 29, 2013 9:58 am

Yeah, I saw that a while back and I am a fan of that idea myself. haha. I wish it was at my local theaters. (thanks for the video though, I hadn’t watched it before. it’s fun to see the ninjas in action)

that brightness is ultra annoying. It’s part of the reason I recommended an app for that a few days back!

4. January 29, 2013 10:01 am

I sneaked into the theater once in middle school. I sometimes do sneak in my own snacks because the concession prices are so atrocious (I’m not paying $8 for a bottle of water when I can bring water for free from my house). Those are my only movie-going crimes! It drives me nuts when people text/check their phones during the movie.

• January 29, 2013 10:04 am

Oooo. Lindsey! I’m telling teacher! 😉

it’s sad that concessions are so much. I recently learned that those are the profits for the theaters (not ticket sales) but often wonder how much more they might sell if they lowered the prices.

but sometimes, nothing really beats theater butter popcorn. YUM! 🙂

thanks for voting today, Lindsey!

• January 29, 2013 10:12 am

I do still buy popcorn at the concession stand! Not every time, but theater popcorn is hard to beat. I can’t see hiding a bag of microwaved popcorn in my purse, haha. Sometimes, if I really want to go wild, I leave the water at home and buy an Icee. Luckily, I don’t think my theater is struggling without my snack business — they have a permit to sell alcohol, so the concession line is always packed.

• January 29, 2013 10:24 am

ha! yeah, a bag of popcorn in your purse would be fun to see you sneak in. haha.

yep, sounds like there is no dearth of dollars at your theater’s concession stand! ha 🙂

• January 29, 2013 10:51 am

Agree that movie theater popcorn is really tough to beat! So much so that we bought our own machine for our movie series 🙂

5. January 29, 2013 10:08 am

In my defense, i haven’t snuck into a theatre in a looooong time. It was at a 30-screen multiplex…I would NEVER do that at an indie or arthouse. They really need the money.

My personal pet peeve is people who not only leave their phones on, but actually TAKE CALLS during the movie. Um…what? I didn’t pay to hear their conversations! Texting/tweeting during a film would be almost as bad but that doesn’t happen very often. Thank goodness

• January 29, 2013 10:32 am

Paula! wow! where is that 30-screen multiplex?! Wow that’s a lot.

I do wish there were more indie theaters.

Figured you would appreciate the plaque I have hanging on my wall. I have now uploaded it at the bottom of the post!

• January 29, 2013 10:48 am

Um….I’d rather not say. There’s actually a few here, and more that have 20-24 screens.

I LOVE the sign!

6. January 29, 2013 10:54 am

I smuggle water in, because theatre prices are robbery, and I should be allowed to hydrate myself… it should be like a basic human right. But I refuse to get ripped off by their ridiculous $5 waters. Cmon.

In other news though, I often play patron police. I’m the guy who will tell people to shut up, turn off their phones, etc etc.

• January 29, 2013 4:44 pm

i hear ya on the water Fogs. No argument there!

I would love to be your movie-going partner for sure! 🙂

• January 29, 2013 8:28 pm

The Fog man speakin’ the truth.

7. Ted S. permalink
    January 29, 2013 11:37 am

Well I was a chaperon for younger brother’s first date and he and his date went to see Titanic. My brother’s date mom wanted an adult to be with them so he paid me to go with them, well I had no desire to see Titanic since I’ve already seen it months before during test screening and I wasn’t that impressed with it. I got there and fell asleep about 30 minutes into the film and snored pretty loudly too, my brother had to wake up because I was snoring too loud. LOL.

As for my worst movie experience, well there were quite a lot of them. When cell phones became popular in the late 90s, seemed like every a-hole wanted to look important and answered their calls during the movie. One time this a-hole sat in front of me during The Matrix and he kept answering his cell phone every 10 minutes, i wanted to punch him. Fast forward a few years later, went to see Casino Royale and some one brought their infant to the movie and this kid started crying in the last 30 minutes of the film! Also, during a screening of Mr. and Mrs. Smith, there was a Russian couple sitting behind me, the guy was translating the entire film to his girlfriend! Unbelievable!

This is why I don’t go to movies often anymore and glad home theater are much more advanced so I can enjoy films at my house.

• January 29, 2013 4:45 pm

Ted! Some pretty bad experiences there. No wonder you love your home cinema so much. I was seriously thinking about a trip to MN this past week, and one of the things that came to mind was watching a movie at your place! haha. so, it’s kinda funny that you mentioned that today.

• Ted S. permalink
        January 29, 2013 5:21 pm

Like I said, ping me if you’re in the area. But I don’t think you want to come up here at the moment, we’re experiencing one of the coldest winters ever here in MN. In the next couple of days, the temp won’t go above zero degrees, just wait a few more weeks and things will get better here.

You’re more than welcome to come and watch some flicks at my mini theater.

• January 29, 2013 5:27 pm

wow. that’s COOOLLLDDD! No, I wasn’t planning on it anytime soon, but I am in the process of trying to plan my vacation for the year and haven’t been up that way in a while. I may still find my way back. 🙂

thanks

8. January 29, 2013 12:46 pm

When I was a kid I used to until someone told me to be quiet. I haven’t talked during a film since.

• January 29, 2013 4:47 pm

haha. so…since yesterday?! 😉

For some reason, an image of your Marlon Brando gravatar with Duct Tape hits my mind after that story. haha

Thanks for voting man.

9. January 29, 2013 4:52 pm

The only thing I’m guilty of (and proud of) is sneaking my own snacks in. The only thing I pay for is nachos. I take my own bottle of water and stuff like sour candy from the grocery store. Sorry, not going to get gouged!

• January 29, 2013 5:29 pm

do you get the jalapenos on your nachos? mmmmhmm! 🙂

• January 29, 2013 8:18 pm

No, sir. No jalapenos for me. I hate spicy stuff.

10. January 29, 2013 5:28 pm

I got thrown out once. does that count? A group of us threw sweets (I was young, this was years ago) The film was terrible, and Im ashamed I paid to go see it, even as a kid. The film was Stargate 😦

• January 29, 2013 5:30 pm

haha. you were a troublemaker huh?! haha. it’s okay. for Stargate. This post today is a post of amnesty! 😀

thanks for fessin’ up!

• January 29, 2013 5:32 pm

I dont think I was too bad, and I hate loud people now, hence why I rarely go to the cinema, but man that film was bad. Im mad at myself for paying even now! 🙂

• January 29, 2013 5:33 pm

haha. i think we all have movies like that. Catfish, Movie 43, Skyfall…are just a few on my list! LOL

11. Chris permalink
    January 29, 2013 5:40 pm

I’m such a hypocrite! I condemn anyone who does these things, yet I’m guilty of all of them at one point or another! Oh boy…

• January 30, 2013 1:45 pm

hahaha.

12. January 29, 2013 6:11 pm

Nope… haven’t done any of these. I’d only be tempted to sneak in if I thought there was a good level of challenge, and there really never would be. Too easy, so what’s the fun?

Sneaking in food… I’d probably consider it, but I don’t usually eat or drink anything at the theatre anyway.

I don’t talk during a movie. I prefer not to even talk during the trailers. I don’t carry a cell phone currently, and when I did, I turned it off — not “silent”, OFF — before I entered the theatre.

Probably the worst I’ve ever done is checked my watch using the glow function, and even then, I only do it if I know there’s nobody behind me (i.e., I’m in the back of the theatre and/or it’s empty).

I do tend to hog the armrests, though. Those things aren’t made for two people.

• January 30, 2013 1:45 pm

those armrests are precious and valuable commodities for sure! 😉

13. January 29, 2013 8:26 pm

With the ridiculous prices, and the incredibly slow-moving lines at the concession, its almost like they’re asking us to sneak in our own snacks!

• January 30, 2013 1:46 pm

true. it does scream “bring your own” doesn’t it?

14. January 29, 2013 8:28 pm

As for sleeping, its not my fault! Its Apatow’s fault for making This is 40 so long and boring.

• January 30, 2013 1:46 pm

hahahaha. ah, good ol’ Judd! 🙂

15. January 29, 2013 11:40 pm

I admit I’m not always great about leaving my phone off. If the movie is lagging, I’m inclined to check Twitter or whatever else. HOWEVER, when the lights go down I turn the brightness of my phone all the way down and I never do it if there’s anyone sitting behind me or in a spot where my phone could be a distraction to anyone else.

• January 30, 2013 1:47 pm

boredom-induced-twiiter-feed-reads! You should def try the app “Screen Filter” then. haha 🙂

16. January 30, 2013 2:49 pm

Haha, fun poll, T! I usually fall under the “perfect angel” choice, but I do occasionally bring in my own snacks or beverage. If I do, it’s just a water bottle since I can’t fathom spending $4 on a bottled water.

• January 31, 2013 9:30 am

hahaha. looks like snacks are the most popular form of contraband here this week. 🙂 Thanks for votin and fessin up, Eric!

17. February 1, 2013 2:52 pm

I regularly sneak in my own snacks, and I have fallen asleep twice in movies. The first because it was really bad; the second because of pure exhaustion.

• February 5, 2013 10:33 am

Victor, it’s been fun seeing everyone’s responses to this poll. Most people join you in the “snacks” thing.

what movies did you fall asleep on?

• February 5, 2013 10:49 am

“The Fourth War” with Rob Schieder back in 1991. The other movie I fell asleep in was also around the same time, but I have no memory of what it was about or who was in it.

• February 5, 2013 11:10 am

ha. I am unfamiliar with that title, but I will prob avoid it unless I can’t sleep now. haha

1. It’s “Time to Vote Tuesday!” 136 « The Focused Filmographer