It’s “Time to Vote Tuesday!” 137

February 12, 2013

What is “Time to Vote Tuesday”?:

Last week’s poll entitled Time for Timeless Talent has now closed with a total of 32 votes. In asking what two classic actors from golden times past you would travel back in time for to bring to present-day Hollywood, the results have been revealed. The race was close, but the winning two actors that you would choose to bring back are: Humphrey Bogart and Jimmy Stewart!

Bogart won by 1

Bogart won by 1

Be sure to check out all of the results of last week’s poll HERE.

I wish to thank everyone that voted in last week’s polls, shared it with others, and added to the conversation with your comments!

—————-

In this edition of ‘TVT’ this week’s poll, entitled “The Daring Darren”, we pay tribute to a director who’s given the world some very memorable films full of compelling performances, and it also just so happens to be his 44th birthday today: Darren Aronofsky.darren

Director of five feature films (to date), Brooklyn native Darren Aronofsky grew up cultivating a great love for classic movies and artistic ability. After attending school in both Kenya and Alaska to study as a field biologist, Aronofsky went on to attend and graduate from both Harvard University, (where he studied both film and social anthropology) and the American Film Institute (where he studied directing). He went on to win several film awards and notoriety for film projects (including becoming a National Student Academy Award finalist) that he created years before he ever directed his debut full-length feature: 1997’s Pi.

Take a look at the works of Darren Aronofsky (courtesy video creator Joel Walden):

Known for surrealism, the sometimes disturbing, visualization, social commentary, characters with often self-destructive obsessions, and contributing and often dark musical scores, Aronofsky directed Pi, Requiem for a Dream, The Wrestler, The Fountain and Black Swan and is currently working on an adaptation of the Biblical account of Noah starring Russell Crowe, Ray Winstone, Jennifer Connelly, Logan Lerman, Emma Watson, Anthony Hopkins and more (currently shooting in Iceland and New York).darren

Interesting tidbit: Aronofsky was one of the original developers of the 2010 film The Fighter and was supposed to direct. (He actually is the one who approached Christian Bale for his award-winning role). However, due to the similarities to his film The Wrestler, Aronofsky left the project to work on MGM’s Robocop remake. After MGM’s uncertain financial future and the uncertainty of the Robocop film that we NOW know to be in production, Aronofsky left that project to pursue the making of Noah after declining the director’s chair for The Wolverine because of its demand of lengthy time away from his family to film in Japan. What a road to the Ark! It seems that Aronofsky must have the patience of Noah!

Russell Crowe as Noah

Russell Crowe as Noah

More trivia about Darren Aronofsky:

• Was once engaged to Rachel Weisz (One of the stars of his film The Fountain)
  • Turned down the offer to direct TWO superhero films: Batman Begins and The Wolverine
  • Has directed 4 actors in Oscar-nominated performances; 1 has won: Natalie Portman (Black Swan)blackswan
  • The original cast for The Fountain included Brad Pitt and Cate Blanchett with a budget of $75 million. Pitt left over “creative differences” and the project was scrapped. Two years later, Aronofsky resold the idea to Warner Bros who agreed to a $35 million budget. Recast with Rachel Weisz and Hugh Jackman.
  • No CGI is used in The Fountain. Aronofsky impressively chose to do the special effects for the film by using micro-photography of chemical reactions on tiny petri dishes, stating that CGI would take away from the timelessness of the film and that he wants the film to stand the test of time.
  • Aronofsky’s first feature, π, won the Director’s Award at the 1998 Sundance Film Festival and an Independent Spirit Award for Best First Screenplay.

-Trivia courtesy IMDB and Aronofsky’s official site. -click the links for more.

———-

An impressive filmography. With only 5 feature films so far under his belt, THREE of them (60%) are currently listed in IMDB’s Top 250 movies! (Peter Jackson has 4 out of 11 for 37%!) How many of his movies have you seen?

Today I ask you:

Tell me which of his films you enjoy the most. Which haven’t you seen? Are there any you don’t care for? Are you interested in his take on Noah? And what kind of film would you like to see Darren Aronofsky do in the future?

Happy Birthday, Darren Aronofsky!Darren Aronofsky

Vote before the poll closes on 2-19-13. The results will post on next week’s “Time to Vote Tuesday!”

***Don’t forget: For regular updates on movie news, rumors, pictures, posters, and more, FOLLOW ME on Twitter and Facebook.

———-

1. February 12, 2013 10:55 am

I voted for Black Swan. One of the best movies in recent years. Aronofsky’s direction reminds me of that of David Lynch.

• February 12, 2013 9:14 pm

Thanks for voting/commenting. he is often compared to Lynch.

2. theipc permalink
    February 12, 2013 10:58 am

The Fountain!

• February 12, 2013 9:14 pm

Glad to see a early vote for The Fountain! Thanks for chiming in today!

• theipc permalink
        February 13, 2013 6:24 am

I was starting to think I was the only person in the world that had even SEEN The Fountain!!!

3. February 12, 2013 11:21 am

I have to null vote here. I’ve only seen Pi, and I found it literally painful to watch.

• February 12, 2013 9:15 pm

Pi wasn’t a piece of cake to digest. That’s for sure. ;P

• February 12, 2013 9:31 pm

Considering how most his movies have ended so far, i found Pi to be his least hard to watch film so far. Or at the very least, one of his more pleasant endings to a film

• February 13, 2013 3:11 am

In my case it was the actual physical aspects of the film that were the biggest problem… FLASH! BANG! SCREEEEEEECH! Make it stop!

4. February 12, 2013 11:48 am

No doubt about it, Black Swan, my all time favorite film!

• February 12, 2013 9:15 pm

such a great film…and winning the majority of votes!

5. February 12, 2013 12:29 pm

Man, that’s such a difficult question. For me, it’s a tossup between Requiem for a Dream and The Wrestler. Both are near flawless, 10/10 films for me. I opted for the latter, but I love both equally.

• February 12, 2013 9:16 pm

I haven’t seen The Wrestler myself. it’s one I’ve been meaning to see.

• February 12, 2013 10:38 pm

Don’t see the wrestler if are or were a wrestling fan, painful to see what happens when wrestlers get old

6. February 12, 2013 12:44 pm

Had to go with Black Swan, with The Fountain a close second. It felt as if all his style and form had been a warm up for Black Swan. It felt like his masterpiece to me. Perfect. And The Fountain truly is timeless and beautiful.

Nice Vote!

• February 12, 2013 9:16 pm

he did a great job with Black Swan. I own that one. The Fountain I like as a piece of art. hard to understand, but so beautiful

7. February 12, 2013 12:48 pm

Black Swan for me although I do like The Wrestler and Requiem. Haven’t seen the others though.

• February 12, 2013 9:17 pm

Black Swan…good choice! Thanks for voting

8. February 12, 2013 4:44 pm

Black Swan is my fave, followed by Requiem and Pi. 🙂

• February 12, 2013 9:17 pm

interesting order of choices. Love it. Thanks for voting/commenting

9. Chad permalink
    February 12, 2013 4:53 pm

The Fountain is not only his best film, it is a work of art. You cannot watch that movie less than 10x and take away something new or emotional each time. Color schemes, Clint Mansell, Hugh Jackman, oh man!

• February 12, 2013 6:33 pm

a work of art indeed. amazing. Thanks for chiming in today sir! imagine if he would’ve directed Jackman in The Wolverine!

10. TheSilkSpectre permalink
    February 12, 2013 6:29 pm

To be totally honest, I’m really not an Aronofsky fan. Pi confused me. The Fountain bored me, and I really couldn’t follow it. Both Requiem and Black Swan were good movies, but I never want to see either of them again. Maybe I’m just not smart enough for his films, but I don’t really get the appeal.

That said, I voted for Black Swan. If I had to rewatch any of them, that would be the one.

• February 12, 2013 6:32 pm

thanks for voting/commenting.

admittedly that is very fair criticism. his films can be hard to follow. I still don’t understand The Fountain. But I truly love the style and storytelling form that he used in it. and on such a budget. So impressive. I had a feeling that Black Swan would be the most popular here (big surprise) but it’s pretty neat to look at all of the works he has done.

One of these days I will watch The Fountain again. You can watch it with me and we can discuss it. 🙂

11. February 12, 2013 7:43 pm

I’ve only watched “Pi” and “The Wrestler”; I voted for “Pi”.

I am interested in watching the rest of his films, and I would be interested in his take on Noah. I would like him to tackle a Western.

• February 12, 2013 9:18 pm

A vote for PI! hooray! 🙂 Thanks for voting.

an Aronofsky western. I like the idea. what would you call it and who would you cast?

• February 13, 2013 5:17 am

“The Gravedigger”

It would be about the guy who was a former gun slinger but now is a gravedigger. He has to wear the revolver again when a corrupt marshall comes to town. He knows it will mean the end of him, but he has to stand up for his adopted town.

It would star Robert Patrick. That guy needs a career makeover right now.

12. February 12, 2013 9:34 pm

Requiem for a Dream. One of the most powerful films i’ve ever seen

• February 12, 2013 10:34 pm

Hey Julian. Thanks for voting today! Requiem is a popular one of his indeed

13. February 12, 2013 10:46 pm

Black Swan all the way. I never made it thru Pi. Requiem and Wrestler are really good too though.

14. February 13, 2013 5:48 am

Black Swan for me. But then, the only other film out of those I’ve seen was The Wrestler, and they’re very similar films.

Black Swan is an impressive film. I remember sitting in the cinema watching it and never, ever having such a tense cinematic experience. I think I held my breath throughout the entire film!