31 Days of Oscar Blogathon

February 16, 2013

As part of the 31 Days of Oscar Blogathon (hosted by Paula’s Cinema Club), I have put together this post highlighting TWO Oscar-worthy nominees that received no such attention this Academy Award season. Be sure to check out all of the other entries in this Award-winning Blogathon (and if it’s not award-winning, it should be).31days-800

Every year when the Academy Awards roll around there is cause for much elation along with much disappointment as some of our favorites receive nominations while others get ignored (often referred to as being “snubbed”).

Debates and discussions often arise over the subject of Oscar snubs, from Brokeback Mountain‘s loss to Crash or the loss of Ralph Fiennes’ performance in Schindler’s List to Tommy Lee Jones in The Fugitive to the lack of nominations for Christopher Nolan’s direction of Inception or Ed Norton’s acting in Fight Club.The_Fugitive

Every year, snubs and surprises are expected. This year was no different.

Look up almost any list for snubs of the 2013 Oscars and you will undoubtedly find the names Kathryn Bigelow, Ben Affleck, Quentin Tarantino, and perhaps even Leonardo DiCaprio on it. Some truly are snubs (such as Affleck), while others, well, the category was so stacked full of great talent that, unfortunately, the line had to be drawn somewhere (such as “Best Actor in a Supporting Role” category…sorry Leo).

Photo courtesy Indiewire. Click for source

Photo courtesy Indiewire. Click for source

For your consideration, the following two exclusions were some of the biggest snubs of this award season that have been grossly overlooked. (hit the jump to see my choices)

2013 Oscar Snubs

Snub#1:Ezra Miller

• Actor: Ezra Miller
  • Category: Best Actor in a Supporting Role
  • Movie: The Perks of Being a Wallflower
  • Role: Patrick

Defense: After 2011’s We Need To Talk About Kevin, Ezra Miller showed that he had the acting ability to draw audiences in and believe the capability of his characters. Snubbed for Oscar attention then as well, Ezra received nominations for a Critic’s Choice Award and a British Independent Film Award for his performance as Kevin.wallflower

Last year, Ezra starred in the amazing highschool drama entitled The Perks of Being a Wallflower and, once again, displayed his ability to bring a character to life from the pages of a book as Patrick, the gay highschool senior who goes against the grain, is accepting and forges his own way in life. He, along with Emma Watson, plays the supporting role of the lead character’s friend and it is his performance that remains one of the most memorable of not only the movie, but of the year. You can’t help but perhaps to actually miss him as part of your own life after the movie is over.perks

With such authenticity, emotion and enthusiasm, Ezra brought Patrick to life and made him not only relevant to the story, but relevant to the audience as well. Displaying some amazing acting prowess early on already in his career, look for more from Ezra in years to come. He deserved more attention for this role.

(He has won a few other awards for his role in The Perks of Being a Wallflower, but has been snubbed by all of the “majors” and still remains a class act.)ezra

I’m not certain who I would remove from the nominees as the “Best Actor in a Supporting Role” is a pretty solid category with nominees that all deserve to be there, but if I had to, I would remove Alan Arkin (Argo) from the list. He was great and it pains me to say so, but I would replace him and add Ezra before booting any of the other nominees.

———————-

Snub#2:samantha

• Actress: Samantha Barks
  • Category: Best Actress in a Supporting Role
  • Movie: Les Misérables
  • Role: Éponine

Defense: Samantha Barks played Éponine in both the stage and film versions of Les Misérables. Many consider the latter to be the greatest rendition of the Victor Hugo story to date. She, perhaps, is a bit outshone in recognition due to the included performances of better-known thespians such as Hugh Jackman, Anne Hathaway and even Amanda Seyfried…and that’s to be expected as it is her first big break in Hollywood.

However.barks

Many people have sadly overlooked her amazing performance as the daughter of a conniving innkeeper. She lives with no other guidance and direction than that which her heart yields, and what a heart of love she has. Held captive by her love for a man whose heart blindly does not see her love, Éponine bares her heart and soul in a soliloquy of song that highlights not only her ability but also gives weight to support the reason for her casting, proving she does indeed belong. Watch in this trailer that centers around her and her character:

Such an amazing performance that carries the same weight throughout (One of my Top Ten Most Memorable Movie Moments of 2012). Yes, Anne Hathaway deserves her nomination for the same movie, but newcomer Samantha Barks does as well. She gave everything and made me not only believe in, but feel for and perhaps even love her character.samanthatumblr

Given the choices already for those nominated, I would remove Jacki Weaver. Nominated for her part in Silver Linings Playbook, I didn’t mind her at all and I thought she was good, but not “Oscar-worthy.” Sorry, but nothing stood out about her in the movie. Not like Samantha in Les Mis.

———————-

Granted, neither of these snubs are as tremendously horrendous as Saving Private Ryan losing to Shakespeare In Love for Best Picture of 1998, but, it is my opinion, that they are snubs nonetheless and deserve to be named among the likes of Robert DeNiro, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Anne Hathaway, Sally Field, Amy Adams and more.

<> on October 19, 2009 in Santa Clarita, California.

Additional 2013 Oscar snubs of mention:

• Cloud Atlas (Writing -adapted screenplay, Visual Effects, Production Design, Makeup and Hairstyling, Music -original score)
  • Looper (Makeup and Hairstyling, Writing- original screenplay)
  • The Perks of Being a Wallflower (Writing- adapted screenplay)
  • The Imposter (Best Documentary Feature)
  • Moonrise Kingdom (Best Picture)
  • The Intouchables (Best Foreign Language)
  • Judi Dench in Skyfall (Best Supporting Actress)

What do you think? Do you agree with my snub choices? Disagree? Who do you think was snubbed this year? Congratulations to all of the official nominees. Just a few more days until the awards ceremony!

Thanks for reading and thanks to Paula’s Cinema Club for the 31 Days of Oscar Blogathon!

www.thefocusedfilmographer.com

1. February 16, 2013 6:47 pm

Good list. I would have liked to have seen The Master and Moonrise Kingdom get Best Picture nominations and have seen Leonardo DiCaprio take a Best Supporting Actor nomination (it was a strong field but I think he had the best supporting acting performance of the year).

• February 19, 2013 7:55 am

Thanks man. Yes, The Master and Moonrise Kingdom are some of the snubs of the season. While I wasn’t that enthralled with The Master I can agree that it should’ve gotten more. I was surprised that J. Phoenix received a nom given his comments about the Oscars.

Best Supporting Actor is a beast of a category this year.

2. February 17, 2013 12:26 am

Okay. Moonrise Kingdom was robbed!!! Leo should’ve been there. Bigelow and Affleck were shocking omissions. Surprised of no love? John Hawkes for The Sessions (although Hunt got a nod for her role)–he was definitely one of the best of the year. Liam Neeson in The Grey was another favorite of mine–so powerful and nuanced–yet forgotten. And Cloud Atlas–across the board–do not get the negative response it received. Misunderstood genius (IMO).

Yeah…it always happens. As I like to say–The Oscars are WACK! 😀 Yet, I still watch–part of the fun is getting irate about it. LOL.

Later!

• February 19, 2013 8:03 am

I loved Moonrise Kingdom quite a bit. you and I agree there!

haven’t seen The Sessions yet. I will say though I wasn’t as happy with The Grey as you or Fogs. But Cloud Atlas…it def deserved much much more love

thanks for commenting!

3. February 17, 2013 7:56 am

I’m completely with you on Samantha Barks, a very good performance from her. I still haven’t seen Perks though and so couldn’t say on that one.

• February 19, 2013 8:06 am

She was amazing to me and I think she blatantly was overlooked/overshadowed because of Anne Hathaway (who also did very amazingly)

4. February 17, 2013 8:33 pm

I haven’t seen either of these films but I will watch for these two actors. Thanks for the heads up T! I wonder if the Academy has ever considered making the number of acting nominees variable, like the Best Picture nominees are. Also I have to agree with nedunedited above, the more I think about it, the more MOONRISE KINGDOM was robbed.

• February 19, 2013 8:10 am

Thanks for hosting the wonderful blogathon Paula. Was glad to be a part. Some years it seems like there needs to be more nominees and other years there aren’t enough.

Barks and Miller def are deserving! 🙂 can’t wait for you to see the films.

5. February 19, 2013 10:29 am

When I read the title of your post, the first person I thought of from Les Miserables (actually, the only person I thought of) was the actress who played Eponie. She practically had me on the movie theater floor, swimming in my own tears. Ridiculous. Oscar recount!

• February 19, 2013 1:29 pm

Hi and welcome! Thanks for taking the time to comment. Glad we are on the same page here. Barks was tremendous!

6. February 19, 2013 7:03 pm

I was waiting to see The Intouchables in the Foreign Language Film category, since it was a massive success. Very good snubs mentioned. Many people, including me, sympathize a lot with Eponine, more then with Cosette. She is one of the best characters in Les Mis.
    Don’t forget to read my contribution to the blogathon! 🙂
    Greetings!
    Le

• February 20, 2013 12:15 pm

thanks so much for stopping by! I did read your article. fun stuff. Thank you

7. February 19, 2013 9:27 pm

There’s a few here I’ve yet to see. You drive a good case for rectifying that, T. Well done.

• February 20, 2013 12:15 pm

🙂 Thanks Michael. I hope you do rectify it soon.

8. February 26, 2013 3:35 pm

Totally agree with your snub choices, Miller was one of my biggest as well but that could be said for the entire film. I also Loved Samantha Banks and was very happy to see her at the Oscars (in such a gorgeous, classy dress nonetheless!). Soooo much better than Amanda Seyfried, lol

• February 27, 2013 8:42 pm

Thanks for stopping by and reading. I really like Miller so much in Perks!

and Banks looked SO amazing! and yes, far more than Amanda Seyfried! we are def in the same boat there!

1. Presenting Week 3 of the 31 Days of Oscar Blogathon | Paula's Cinema Club