It’s “Time to Vote Tuesday!” 139

February 26, 2013

What is “Time to Vote Tuesday”?:

Last week’s poll entitled “Movie Character Fight Club, Rnd 3 has now closed with an average of 20 votes per poll. Your winners for each round are listed below. To see just how close some of the fights came (and some were VERY close), be sure to check out the actual results HERE.fightclub

• Denzel Washington battle = Creasy (Man on Fire)
  • Keira Knightley battle = Domino Harvey (Domino)
  • Johnny Depp battle = Sands (Once Upon A Time In Mexico)
  • Keanu Reeves battle = Neo (Matrix)
  • Ryan Reynolds battle = Wade Wilson (X-Men Origins: Wolverine)
  • Hugo Weaving battle = V (V for Vendetta)
  • Angelina Jolie battle = Jane (Mr. & Mrs. Smith)
  • Charlize Theron battle = Æon Flux (Æon Flux)

I wish to thank everyone that voted in the poll, shared it with others, and added to the conversation with your comments, but, Wade Wilson beating Green Lantern?? seriously? I don’t think so. (smh) 😉

Stay tuned for Round 4 of “Movie Character Fight Club” soon!

—————-

Some actors seem to let nothing stop them from continuing what they love in Hollywood. Michael Douglas beat cancer and returned, Robert Downey, Jr. beat addiction and returned, and even at the Oscars on Sunday, Christopher Plummer jokingly stated that he was ready to star with some beautiful nominated actresses in his next 30 films! That’s the Spirit! I love it!cp

Over time, however, several actors seem to find their way out of the spotlight for various reasons. Age, family, prison time due to tax evasion *cough, Wesley Snipes*, etc. Sometimes the actors aren’t too missed (I don’t hear anybody crying over a lack of Jennifer Tilly movies.), but sometimes we wonder where they are and if we will ever see them on the big screen in a major successful role again.

Remember THIS guy? Haven't "SEEN" him in a while.

Remember THIS guy? Haven’t “SEEN” him in a while.

I’m talking about actors like Tim Robbins (The Shawshank Redemption), Gene Hackman (Hoosiers), Bridget Fonda (Jackie Brown), Carrie-Anne Moss (The Matrix), Sean Connery (Dr. No), Denise Richards (I’m only kidding here, folks! Only kidding!), Jack Nicholson (The Shining), etc. It was great to see some come back like Chris Tucker whose appearance in Silver Linings Playbook was his first since Rush Hour 3 and his first non-Rush Hour movie role since Money Talks.chris-tucker-playbook-3

But Sean Connery ended his acting career with the disappointing League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (?). And where is Warren Beatty lately from the 1990 film Dick Tracy?

missing_person5

This isn’t to say that, perhaps, these actors haven’t been in anything in the last decade or two, but they surely haven’t been in anything really of note and some of them are missed. Though no one seems to be protesting over Ashton Kutcher’s limited roles…more so over the fact that he still gets roles.

Today I ask you: Which of these “missing actors” would you love to see in another major role?

Perhaps, I should also ask which actors would you love to see retire? I’m sure there are some that come to mind. I may do a poll about that in the near future! 🙂

Thanks for voting today! Can’t wait to see the results next week. Be sure to vote before the polls close on 3-5-13. The results will post on next week’s “Time to Vote Tuesday!”

———-

Oh, and before I forget, I need your help with something.magazines

I am considering a subscription to a movie magazine and am curious as to your opinions on which one to get. I have an idea of what I’d like to choose for great exclusive interviews, photos, articles, etc all about movies (not so much other entertainment subjects like television shows) but thought I’d throw it out there and ask you all. Do you have a preference for a particular movie magazine? Do you read them? Is it worth it since so many of the magazines float their stuff out online days or weeks after publication?

***Don’t forget: For regular updates on movie news, rumors, pictures, posters, and more, FOLLOW ME on Twitter and Facebook.

———-

1. February 26, 2013 11:38 am

I’d like to see Connery and Nicholson one more time, they’re awesome actors (Nicholson in particular) and they won’t be around for too much longer *sniff*

• February 27, 2013 8:27 pm

seems that the majority agree with you, man. They are getting up there aren’t they?

2. February 26, 2013 12:03 pm

Gotta be Jack!

And I voted Gene Hackman with my “extra” pick. LOL

• February 27, 2013 8:31 pm

man, it’d be great to see Jack in something again! Like the fact you went with Hackman as well. While Connery is great, I like to think of him as I think of Michael Jordan #23 (in that I completely ignore that there ever was a Michael Jordan #45). If Connery came back, it might take away from some of his legacy…like Brett Favre. haha

• February 27, 2013 8:33 pm

Heh. Wouldn’t want that. 😉

3. February 26, 2013 12:28 pm

I voted for Jane Fonda and Jamie Lee Curtis. I subscribe to EW. I’m in front of a screen 14+ hours a day so I need the change.

• February 27, 2013 8:34 pm

Jane Fonda! it was great seeing her at the Oscars!

and thanks for the magazine advice

• February 28, 2013 8:13 am

YW…wasn’t it? i was curious so I really studied some pics of her…if she’s had anything “done,” it’s super-subtle 🙂

4. February 26, 2013 1:30 pm

Connery period! Talk about strength and charisma! Man I miss him.

BTW, you’re 100% right! Wade Wilson beating Green Lantern? Nooo Sir!

• February 27, 2013 8:36 pm

Thanks for voting Keith! Yeah, I was a bit perplexed that Wade Wilson one, GL could take care of him without even getting close enough for Wade to get him! ha. 🙂 always fun.

5. February 26, 2013 2:14 pm

I have a subscription to Empire, great magazine and really fun to read 😀

British as well! 😀

• February 27, 2013 8:39 pm

Empire is the frontrunner for me! Do you get any special things from them as well? posters, etc?

• February 28, 2013 8:54 am

Every so often you do get posters and stuff, exclusive online content as well like interviews and on set talks. Hope you pick it funny writers 😀

6. February 26, 2013 2:23 pm

Went with Nicholson and Connery also

• February 27, 2013 8:40 pm

Thanks for voting Julian! Great to have you stop by

7. February 26, 2013 3:58 pm

Awesome poll once again! Oh yeah, whatever happened to Joel Osment?? 😀

I voted for Connery and Hackman, even more awesome if they star in a movie TOGETHER! I had wished to see Connery in the Bond tribute at the Oscars, alas….

As for magazines, well I LOVE Empire and Total Film, I buy ’em from time to time. I’d have subscribed if it weren’t so dang expensive!

• February 27, 2013 8:43 pm

Thanks Ruth! glad to have you here. Joel did disappear. Well, he’s been in a couple things, but yep, he turned into Macauley Culken. haha.

Connery and Hackman? Nice choices, although I’m happier leaving Connery in retirement.

Thanks for chiming in on the magazine question too

8. February 26, 2013 4:33 pm

Had to go with Nicholson and Connery!

• February 27, 2013 8:46 pm

Mr. Rumsey! Thanks for voting this week! Connery and Nicholson seem to be running with the lead

• February 28, 2013 6:11 am

No problem, I hope to see them win!

9. February 27, 2013 8:44 am

Hi, Terrence and company:

I would like to see Nicholson in a large straight up dramatic role. With perhaps one or two scenes that allows him to chew some scenery.

Wouldn’t mind seeing Connery reprise a role globe trotting reporter role similar to the one he mastered in a little known 1982 satiric gem titled ‘Wrong is Right’.

• February 27, 2013 8:49 pm

Kevin, thanks for stopping in. One of the things I love about your comments is that I always learn something new (I aspire to have that be said about my blog). Connery’s “Wrong is Right” is little known and something I am looking into currently and hope to watch soon. Thank you sir for once again teaching me something.

10. February 27, 2013 12:59 pm

I would love to see Jack and Gene in major roles one more time. Perhaps something together? Could be fun.

As for your second question, I was actually wondering the same thing. Keep us posted if you end up subscribing to one!

• February 27, 2013 8:50 pm

ooh, together would be great. Jack and Gene. What type of movie would you put them in together?

Thanks for voting Eric. I am trying to make my decision on the magazine. There are perks of subscribing and I am highly considering it.

11. February 27, 2013 8:01 pm

I focus on magazines like Fangoria and Rue Morgue if I go the magazine route. 😉 But I haven’t bought magazines in almost a year now either.

• February 27, 2013 8:51 pm

ooh, I’m not aware of those ones, Mistylayne! what do you like most about them?

(thanks for voting)

• February 27, 2013 8:54 pm

I like them because they are horror based. 🙂 So you might not enjoy them as much because they aren’t a conglomerate of genres. But they talk about a wide variety of horror movies before they come out (not just the big ones) and have some really great articles about and interviews with people in the biz (really loved when they had this huge thing on Tom Savini!).

1. It’s “Time to Vote Tuesday!” 140 | The Focused Filmographer