New Posters of the Week (3/8/13)

March 8, 2013

While yesterday was a day full of trailers (Don’t miss “Trailer Time Thursday” 3.7.13 Part I and Part II for the fun trailers.), today is the time, once again, to check out all of the…

As you know I love checking out and collecting movie posters! With teases of what to expect from the featured film, posters are one of my favorite parts of the whole cinematic experience. If you love movie posters like I do, then you are likely to enjoy the latest ones of the week!

Today we have a TON of new posters including a whole series of what are being referred to as “Victory Tour” posters for The Hunger Games: Catching Fire, a new one for Joss Whedon’s Much Ado About Nothing and even a new one for After Earth.

Take a look: (To view the fullscreen slideshow, click on any one of the posters below and scroll through with the arrow keys.)

And here is the 10-poster series for The Hunger Games: Catching Fire:

Well, what do you think? Which ones are your favorites in this spotlight? I like the poster for Terrence Malick’s To The Wonder, the one for 42 with Jackie Robinson standing on the field (3 additional posters for 42 launched this week, you can find them HEREand the poster for Welcome to the Punch. Admittedly, I’m not really a fan of any of those The Hunger Games: Catching Fire posters. I prefer the previous ones seen HERE.

Well, what do you think? Leave a comment! 🙂

To see past editions of this post (Spotlight on New Posters of the Week), click HERE.

Posters courtesy ImpAwards, Collider and additional sources.

Have a great day!

1. March 8, 2013 10:41 am

The Hunger Games posters look pretty cool, let’s just hope the actual movie itself doesn’t suffer from too much hype.

• March 11, 2013 10:07 pm

I think hype is way too high for it at this point and can see it suffering a sad sequel disappoint. Thanks for commenting Dan.

2. March 8, 2013 12:56 pm

I think it’s interesting how many of these use a left-right vertical opposition, and a couple use diagonal…there’s so many I think it may constitute a trend! Most eyecatching to me is STORIES WE TELL. I like the style of the HUNGER GAMES posters too. As always great job T!

• March 8, 2013 8:52 pm

Interesting observation, I have a feeling I’ll be noticing that a lot more now, there is a ton of them this week, isn’t there?

• March 8, 2013 9:06 pm

Yes, there is. Don’t even get me started on complementary colors. I know…kind of odd comments but I’m a graphic designer by trade so it just kind of happens 🙂

• March 8, 2013 9:09 pm

That’s ok, I enjoy coming here and over-analyzing the posters T shares each week.

• March 11, 2013 10:13 pm

Thanks Paula and Bubbawheat! I LOVEd the discourse here as you both dissect the graphical designs of the posters. Thank you for adding to this feature with your commentary! I appreciate it. Some fun analyzing!

3. March 8, 2013 1:14 pm

Not a fan of most of these… and that seems like a really boring poster campaign for Catching Fire. “I’ve got it! Chairs! No, it’s brilliant, I tell you!”

The poster for Turbo is too simplistic; that story seems like one that’s going to have an uphill battle gaining an audience. They need to work harder than this at selling it.

Welcome to the Punch sounds like it should be paired up with Here Comes the Boom. 😀

The posters I like… Stories We Tell has a nice design. And The Philosophers is kind of intriguing.

• March 11, 2013 10:14 pm

haha. I really didn’t like any of the Hunger Games posters myself. I can’t tell if they are drawn or photographs.

Thanks for commenting Morgan. Appreciate it

4. March 8, 2013 2:48 pm

I like the STORIES WE TELL and TO THE WONDER the most. The Hunger Games’ character posters are just meh to me, I’m looking fwd to the movie though.

• March 11, 2013 10:15 pm

To The Wonder is a good one. I like it too. I feel the same about The Hunger Games. “meh” to the posters, but “hooray” to the movie!. I guess that’s okay. 🙂

5. March 8, 2013 8:40 pm

To the Wonder is the winner for me. I’m excited to see Stoker but I think that poster’s a little flat.

• March 11, 2013 10:16 pm

Adam! Thanks for popping by and commenting on this week’s posters!

6. March 8, 2013 8:50 pm

I was going to say I enjoyed the Hunger Games poster, but I agree that the Victory Tour poster is pretty impressive. I really should watch the first one sometime.

Aside from the ones you mentioned, What Maisie Knew is the one that sticks with me the most, it really tells a lot about what the movie is about just from that poster alone (unless of course I’m wrong) the fact that she’s looking straight at the camera is something done less often in posters, but it works well here.

I also like Disconnect, and love the concept for Turbo but not the tagline.

I hate the After Earth poster, they make Will and Jaden look way too weird, and not in a sci-fi way, more like a bad 90’s way, also why do they think that taking a piece off of the “R” makes it look futuristic, and why is that the only letter that received the “sci-fi” treatment? I was starting to have hope for M. Night, but this isn’t very confidence building.

I also think the Philosophers is a beautiful poster. Nice batch overall this week.

• March 11, 2013 10:18 pm

haven’t seen The Hunger Games? I’m curious what you will think about it when you do see it. Good call on the “What Maisie Knew” poster. and I didn’t really pay any attention to the bad slogan on the “Turbo” poster. you’re right…it’s horrible. ha.

I have absolutely no idea what The Philosphers is about, but the poster is cool. It makes me think of The Fountain.

as usual, thank you for being here and for commenting on the posters. Appreciate it.

7. jackdeth72 permalink
    March 9, 2013 10:50 am

Hi, all:

Explain to me again why the microbe sized brains in Hollywood who green lighted ‘Grown Ups: Part 2’ shouldn’t be flogged within an inch of their lives?!!!

The B&W art work for Whedon’s ‘Much Ado About Nothing’ looks intriguing. A complete contrast to Brannagh’s splashy color take on The Bard.

• March 11, 2013 10:30 pm

haha. well, I really liked Grown Ups. But I am skeptical of the sequel. although I’m not ready to flog Adam Sandler yet. hahaha.

I like Whedon’s Shakespearean twist that is a complete contrast to Branagh. We’ll see how it goes. Thanks for commenting.

8. March 10, 2013 4:45 pm

Love the look of that iron man poster

• March 11, 2013 10:30 pm

me too. I just want to see the movie already! ha. Thanks for taking the time to check out the posters and comment.