New Posters of the Week (4/5/13)

April 5, 2013

Happy Friday! It is time, once again, to check out all of the…

As you know I love checking out and collecting movie posters! With teases of what to expect from the featured film, posters are one of my favorite parts of the whole cinematic experience. If you love movie posters like I do, then you are likely to enjoy the latest ones of the week!

Today we have a lot of new posters including a new one for World War Z, The Brass Teapot and the first one for 2 Guns. Also today, guest and fellow blogger of good taste Bubbawheat from Flights, Tights and Movie Nights is back with me and joins me in sharing thoughts/opinions of this week’s poster offerings. Thanks to him for joining me today. Be sure to visit his fun site full of expertise on comic and superhero movies (HERE).

Take a look: (To view the fullscreen slideshow, click on any one of the posters below and scroll through with the arrow keys.)

Thoughts:

TheFocusedFilmographer– This week, nothing really stands out as AMAZING, but I do like a couple of features. (1) The Kings of Summer poster: the kid jumping through the “O”; (2) The Oblivion IMAX poster is pretty and shows Tom Cruise as being alone; (3) The Brass Teapot is artsy and I like it and its use of colors, although it’s not one I would hang in my house with them staring at me. (Just a so-so week for me with the posters…nothing ultra-impressive) Oh, I do like how Brad Pitt looks a little bit broken on his knees in the poster for World War Z.

Bubbawheat
I think I’m a little more impressed with this batch than you. I quite enjoyed the artsyness of the Brass Teapot without feeling the little creepy vibe of it. On the other side of things, I think The Purge has just the right amount of creepy with that mask and how it doesn’t quite sit flush on the guy’s face.  And between the other posters for Oblivion, I think this one is by far the best. As for the worst one, I gotta go with the low hanging fruit of Smurfs 2, it just looks like a Sherwin Williams ad.

Well, what do YOU think? Which ones are your favorites in this spotlight? Which ones do you like/hate and why? Leave a comment! 🙂

To see past editions of this post (Spotlight on New Posters of the Week), click HERE.

Posters courtesy ImpAwards, Collider and additional sources (visit them to see more like these).

Special thanks to Bubbawheat of Flights, Tights and Movie Nights for joining me today in sharing the New Posters of the Week.

Have a great day!

btw, in case you missed the newest trailer for the upcoming remake of Carrie you can check it out in yesterday’s “Trailer Time Thursday!” here.

1. April 5, 2013 5:38 pm

My fave is The Brass Teapot one. Never even heard of the movie until I saw that poster, but now my interest is piqued! Which is surely what a good poster should do. 🙂

My least fave is that awful 2Guns one. Sweet Jesus, it must’ve took them all of 10 minutes to knock that up in Photoshop.

• April 6, 2013 12:00 pm

I agree with you, I rarely watch trailers anymore so many times my first view into a new movie is from one of the posters here.

• April 9, 2013 4:42 pm

2 Guns is HORRIBLE! hahaha. I agree with you. and the trailer was bad too.

The Brass Teapot one is neat indeed. you can see the trailer (if you wish) here:http://wp.me/pWaTa-3GM

2. April 5, 2013 9:28 pm

Not a lot impressing me in this batch. Kind of like theMr. Jones poster. Oblivion has a nice poster as well. And I agree about the artfulness of The Brass Teapot.

• April 6, 2013 11:59 am

I agree with “kind of” liking the Mr. Jones poster, sounds like everyone’s liking the Brass Teapot.

• April 9, 2013 4:43 pm

Brass Teapot gets another vote! Morgan, I have no idea what Mr Jones is about. Do you?

I want the Oblivion poster though.

3. April 6, 2013 9:05 am

Hmmm…the only ones I kinda like here is Bass Teapot and Oblivion.

• April 9, 2013 4:44 pm

We are in agreement my dear Lady Sati!

(btw, how are you enjoying season 3 of G.O.T. so far?)

4. April 6, 2013 3:14 pm

Hi T & Bubba (hey that sounds like a fun band name, eh? :D) Man, The Purge one looks soooo creepy, I’d avoid that movie like a plague. Before Midnight is lovely, it has the exact vibe I expect from such a film. From the sci-fi blockbusters, I quite like the World War Z and Oblivion posters, though w/ Pitt in it, I’d only see Z if it’s free. Plus I don’t like zombies! 😀

• April 9, 2013 4:45 pm

i like that: “T & Bubba”! 🙂

The Purge is creepy, the more I look at it, the more I want to look away but cant. haha

I felt that Before Midnight was just another lookalike poster like so many others I’ve seen and expect the same when it comes to the story, but I hope I’m wrong.

So, no zombies? I may have to send you some movie money so that you go to World War Z. 🙂

5. April 7, 2013 1:25 pm

Oblivion intrigues me more now. The WWZ trailer looks good as well.

• April 9, 2013 4:46 pm

I really like that Oblivion poster. if you are near an IMAX, you should totally pick up that poster for me. 😉

6. jackdeth72 permalink
    April 8, 2013 10:54 am

Hi, Terrence and Bubba:

Why do I have the gnawing suspicion that ‘The Great Gatsby’ is not going to fare well at the theaters. No matter how many posters and PR campaigns sent its way?

‘2 Guns’ will have a mediocre weekend and then slip off to HBO and oblivion.

‘Sons of Liberty’ will go the way of Costa-Gavras’ ‘Betrayed’ from 1998. Too convoluted. Though I’m curious to see Tom Hardy and Mark Sheppard. Also wondering how far to the left or right the bad guys supposedly will be, 😉

• April 9, 2013 4:49 pm

I have my suspicions when it comes to The Great Gatsby myself.

hahaa. I love your prediction of 2 Guns and I wouldn’t be upset if it came true. 🙂

thanks for commenting on the posters this week.

7. April 9, 2013 10:10 am

The best ones to me are BRASS TEAPOT & KINGS OF SUMMER. I also like WORLD WAR Z, I like the odd angle of it, and like KINGS OF SUMMER, something is actually happening (not just people standing around or posing).

To me, that first GREAT GATSBY poster looks like an ad in a magazine for a miniseries on network TV. The second one is way better. Those have the best type though.

Thanks for not blocking me from these posts 😉

• April 9, 2013 4:50 pm

First off, I LOVE when you chime in on the posters. 🙂 You notice so much more in the details that my eye will never pick up and I love it.

secondly, Glad you commented on Kings of Summer. It’s different and I like it too.

thirdly, what is the best poster for Great Gatsby overall in your opinion? http://impawards.com/2013/great_gatsby_gallery.html

• April 9, 2013 6:43 pm

Aw thanks T, you’re very kind 🙂 I think the one in the last row with Daisy and Gatsby is best, it really captures their relationship. http://impawards.com/2013/great_gatsby_ver17.html I guess I just think less is more, it says a lot about Daisy and Gatsby, and the world of the story, without cramming the space as much.