It’s “Time to Vote Tuesday!” 145

April 9, 2013

What is “Time to Vote Tuesday”?:

Last week’s poll entitled Classy Fassy has now closed with 25 votes. When asked what different type of role you would have preferred to see Michael Fassbender in, the results were tied for first place! We celebrated Michael Fassbender’s birthday last Tuesday by entertaining the question of what different role in the same movie of his would you like to have seen. The results were interesting and are available for you to see in the link below.Prometheus

The results are in. Be sure to click the link below to see what role Fassbender should have had HERE.

I wish to thank everyone that voted in the poll, shared the post with others, and added to the conversation with your comments. Thank you.

—————-

This week’s edition of ‘TVT’ entitled “The Super Millenia” takes a moment to look at the evolution of superhero movies.

Click photo for source on DeviantArt

Click photo for source on DeviantArt

The genre that has exploded over the past 12 or so years used to be not much more than an almost cult-classic following genre that fanboys and girls could only dream of seeing realistic and bombastic materializations of. Anyone remember this little gem?

ff

Oh man! What a change has taken place since then! (I’m not saying the new Fantastic Four movies were that much better, but…whew!)

Some films prior to 2000 seemed to try, but just ended up being nonsensical instead, like Batnips & Robin. Check out this behind the scenes feature video in which the cast and crew of Batman & Robin discuss why the film was so bad. Interesting and insightful.

Well, things got better and with the “perfecting” of CGI and use of green-screen, superhero movies finally have been able to give fans a realistic taste of the “What ifs” with many favorite superheroes. Some have been more welcome than others, but mostly it can be agreed upon that they are so much better and enjoyable.

MINUS January Jones, First Class was great!

MINUS January Jones, First Class was great!

Today’s poll is not simply about which superhero movie is the “best” or your “favorite.” It asks you to consider which superhero movie AFTER the year 2000 is your favorite or the best. But, there’s another catch:spider-man-catching-food

The only ones allowed for consideration are those that are essentially an origin story for the main character or the first time we see them onscreen. So, you will find no inclusion of sequels or continuations such as The Avengers, The Dark Knight, Spider-Man 2 or Superman Returns.) Other films are not included simply because (1) there wasn’t room for so many, or (2) because they should be on the “worst of” poll instead of this one. (Sorry, Green Lantern fans.) There is, of course, a “OTHER” option for you to support your choice.

Keep hope alive, GL

Keep hope alive, GL

(Here are some other qualifying [or semi-qualifying] options for your “OTHER” choice: Daredevil, Hulk, The Punisher, Catwoman, Constantine, Elektra, Fantastic Four, Ghost Rider, The Incredible Hulk, Hancock, X-Men Origins: Wolverine, The Spirit, Jonah Hex, The Green Hornet, Dredd, etc)hulk

I’d ask you to consider the following categories prior to choosing your top THREE (3):

• Special effects
  • Storyline & Characters
  • Best Villain
  • Adaptation from the comics
  • Hype payout (i.e. Expectations vs. Reality)
  • Costume Design
  • Overall fun

Today I ask you:

I can’t wait to see the results next week of this one for sure! Vote before the poll closes on 4-16-13. The results will post on next week’s “Time to Vote Tuesday!”

supes

———-

***Don’t forget: For regular updates on movie news, rumors, pictures, posters, and more, FOLLOW ME on Twitter and Facebook.

———-

up next: My review of Tyler Perry’s Temptation: Confessions of a Marriage Counselor & Spring Breakers

1. April 9, 2013 12:40 pm

Wow, that was actually tough. I went Raimi’s Spiderman, Batman Begins, and Iron Man. I wanted to vote Watchmen just so that movie wouldnt get shut out, but the “origin” component isnt as strong as the others…

• April 9, 2013 4:17 pm

I’m glad that you took the time to consider the elements of each film! I agree with you. And I also found Iron Man to be quite impressive because Marvel took one of its “B” heroes and made him an A-lister just like that! Thanks for voting

2. April 9, 2013 1:12 pm

What was wrong with Green Lantern?

• April 9, 2013 4:24 pm

hi Brian! Thanks for voting today.

There’s nothing wrong with GL, there was just so much wrong with his movie. LOL. I know there are those that disagree with me, but I just was so disappointed with that one and hope the sequel never comes.
      My thoughts: https://thefocusedfilmographer.com/2011/06/17/green-means-go-the-other-way/

3. April 9, 2013 1:23 pm

Me and Fog’s are on the same page with this one. Tough choices but I went with the same as him. Captain America was a close 4th, though.

• April 9, 2013 4:25 pm

Glad this one was a bit of a challenge. Kinda shows that the quality of superhero films has def increased. so many on the same playing level. Sorry to make ya choose! 🙂 Thanks for being here today

4. April 9, 2013 3:39 pm

I thought it was pretty tough as well. The first two choices were easy for me, but the third was a close call between a total of 5 movies!

• April 9, 2013 4:26 pm

Hi Monkeyboy! Thanks for voting today. a close call for some, huh? hope it was fun even though a bit tough.

5. April 9, 2013 5:19 pm

This is a tough one. Great poll you have inspired my next movie battle!

• April 9, 2013 5:23 pm

ha! Thanks man. Glad you stopped by. I can’t wait to see what you have in store. Listen, I’ve been super busy in things outside of the blogosphere, but I do NOT want to miss your movie battle for sure. Please send me the link when you have it up so that I can share it and not miss it myself. I’d appreciate it.

6. Chris permalink
    April 9, 2013 6:11 pm

All 3 of mine are “other” choices. Dark knight rises. Dark knight, spider man 2.

• April 9, 2013 6:13 pm

Chris…you’ve got to read the criteria for voting. sequels didn’t count. ha. It’s for “origin/1st appearance” films in post-2000. I can appreciate and agree on the love for the films you listed, but that’s for a diff poll at a diff time. I’m interested in your votes for those that fit the criteria!

try again. 🙂

• Chris permalink
      April 9, 2013 6:14 pm

Lol. I was totally under the impression it was just best superhero movie not origin specific, thanks to another article that sent me here just to vote. In that case…I stand by my decisions. They’re someone’s origins.

• April 9, 2013 6:31 pm

Still not qualified. Oh, Chris. U fail this week. Ha

7. April 9, 2013 6:31 pm

Nice choice for a poll, it was a tough decision for me because almost everything on that list is a great flick. I went Iron Man, Hellboy, and X-Men. X-Men might not be the best anymore, but it’s still got a spot for being the first of the new wave, and out of the five soon-to-be seven movies I still like the original the best.

• April 9, 2013 6:34 pm

Thanks Bubbawheat. I like that you stand by Xmen. I liked that one myself. In middle school, we created our own cast and were delighted when, years later, many that we opted for were then cast to play those actual characters! Still waiting to hear Wesley Snipes cast as Bishop! Haha. Thanks for voting.

• April 9, 2013 6:35 pm

He did just get out of jail, so there’s that.

• April 9, 2013 6:53 pm

True story. There is hope!

8. April 9, 2013 9:02 pm

Batnips & Robin, ahahaha!! That Making Of clip is hilarious too, I saw that at dinner time. Well, I voted for Batman Begins, Raimi’s first Spider-Man and First Class, both are GREAT origins story!

9. Ted S. permalink
    April 9, 2013 10:13 pm

Thanks for reminding me about Batman & Robin there man, I’ve been trying to forget about that piece of turd for years. LOL! I remember watching that behind the scenes story a few years back, it’s nice to see Joe S. took full responsibility for making one of the worst films ever! Also, Warner Bros., seemed to ignore the fact that many people hated Batman Forever by green lighting the fourth film so fast. Yeah Forever made a ton of money but not people enjoyed it. By the time Batman & Robin came out, a lot of people didn’t care the franchise anymore. Thank god Nolan brought it back to relevance again.

As for my vote, I went with Batman Begins (of course), Raimi’s Spiderman (I didn’t care for the recent one, thought it was a pointless origin story) and Thor.

10. April 9, 2013 11:00 pm

Batman Begins, Iron Man and Watchmen for me. Still haven’t seen Thor or the new Spider-Man, and not sure I ever will, actually. :\

11. April 10, 2013 4:12 am

Hellboy for me because he is the only who doesn’t wear silly tight suit 😉

12. April 10, 2013 4:32 am

Went for Thor, Batman Begins and Hellboy. But then saw Iron Man after I voted! DOH! But still, love those three. Hellboy’s a bit of a wildcard I guess, but it’s just so different to every other comic book film we see and I love the world that’s brought to life there.

13. April 10, 2013 5:24 am

After much consideration I went with both Spider-Man films and Watchmen. 😀

14. April 10, 2013 8:55 am

That’s a good vote 😀

Iron Man
    Hellboy
    Batman Begins

15. April 17, 2013 7:40 am

Thanks to all who voted and added a lot of fun to this poll with these great and thought out comments!

1. “Time to Vote Tuesday!” #145 @ TheFocusedFilmographer | The Cinematic Consensus Group
  2. It’s “Time to Vote Tuesday!” 146 | The Focused Filmographer