“Trailer Time Thursday!” 5.9.13

May 9, 2013

Today is THURSDAY!!! And you know what that means!! 🙂 It is officially time for another fun-filled edition of “Trailer Time Thursday!”

Here is your weekly fix of “Triple-T” (aka: “Trailer Time Thursday!”)!!

In case this is your first visit to “Triple-T,” here’s what it’s all about:

Seeing as how everyone loves movie previews, “Trailer Time Thursday!” was created to bring all of the trending trailers that you may have missed in theaters, or just need to see, all in one convenient place! It makes Thursdays so great! Get ready! Your Preview Pandemonium awaits!

Check them out and ENJOY!!! :)

Trailers:

White House Down. Here’s a new trailer for the upcoming second film of 2013 that features the White House in trouble from paramilitary terrorists with a grander plot than at first realized, and a solo agent standing as the last hope of freedom. The trailers for this film have actually looked surprisingly pretty good and this one is no different. See more of what to expect from director Ronald Emmerich and a cast that includes Channing Tatum, Jamie Foxx, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Richard Jenkins and more. “Die Hard in DC, part 2” hits theaters on June 28.

Odd Thomas. This film is undoubtedly on very few peoples’ radar but it stars Anton Yelchin (Star Trek) and Willem Dafoe (Spider-Man) and is directed by Stephen Sommers (The Mummy, Van Helsing). Based on the novel of the same name by Dean Koontz, here is what IMDB has to say as far as a synopsis for this adventure goes: “In a California desert town, a short-order cook with clairvoyant abilities encounters a mysterious man with a link to dark, threatening forces.” Look for it sometime in the near future as release dates are still not solid for this one.

The World’s End. Shaun of the Dead‘s Simon Pegg reteams back up with Nick Frost in this comedy about five friends who never completed their pub crawl and, 20 years later, reunite to do so…only to find that the entire community seems to have been replaced…by body-snatching aliens. Now, for the survival of humanity, they must not only complete their pub challenge, but also defeat the aliens that threaten our very existence! Look for this fun comedy to roll into theaters on August 23, 2013.

Captain Phillips. “Wow!” That’s all I had to say after watching this trailer for the next film of Tom Hanks (one of my favorite actors). The true story of a 2009 hijacking of an American cargo ship by Somali pirates has its gripping accounts told and shown in this movie. Watch Hanks as the titular captain and the harrowing ordeal that will definitely sink its way into the hearts and minds of the viewers. Captain Phillips embarks into a theater near you on October 11, 2013.

Ender’s Game. The book finally comes to the big screen and stars some pretty impressive talent. Watch Asa Butterfield, Abigail Breslin, Hailee Steinfeld (True Grit), Harrison Ford, Viola Davis, Ben Kingsley and more in this tale of a group of young “soldiers” reared up and trained to use their skills to help humankind defend against and defeat a malicious alien race. This special military school in space places its efforts and hopes on the shoulders of one specially gifted student. Watch the first trailer and prepare for the game to begin on November 1, 2013.

The Butler. Never knew about this one until today…worth a watch. Starring Forest Whitaker, Oprah Winfrey, Cuba Gooding, Jr., Alan Rickman, Terrence Howard, David Oyelowo, John Cusack and more, follow the real story of a man who came from nothing, literally, yet served multiple U.S. Presidents as the White House head butler from 1952-1986. A tremendous story and look at the life of one Eugene Allen that will be available for viewing on October 18. I love the cast and the different roles they look to portray. Give this trailer a watch.

Spotlight Video of the Week:

Suits That Fly (Justin Timberlake/Tony Stark Mashup)suitsthatfly

Did you see Iron Man 3 this past week? Some loved it, some were disappointed. Regardless of your take on it, you will most assuredly find something to enjoy in this mashup video that features a rather impressive Tony Stark singing and performing his own version of Justin Timberlake’s “Suit & Tie.” The song is entitled “Suits That Fly” and features the great work of a great team of innovators. Be sure to show them some love HERE and enjoy this well-done music video! 😀  (Thanks to my mom who found this and showed it to me this morning!)

Well, that’s it for this round of ‘Triple-T’!

My favorite trailers from today: The Butler, Captain Phillips and White House Down. Which ones are your favorites??

BTW, did you see the pretty fun Audi commercial featuring Spock vs. Spock? You really should see this hilarious and well-done commercial. It is “Superbowl” material.

——————–

This Weekend’s Theatrical Releases:

Are you ready for the weekend in theaters? Here’s what releases this weekend, May 10, 2013:

• Wide Release: The Great Gatsby, Peeples
  • Limited Release: Sightseers, Aftershock, No One Lives and more.

up next: “New Posters of the Week” and Review for The Great Gatsby

1. May 9, 2013 10:26 am

What a great crop of clips, T. I didn’t think I’d see WHITE HOUSE DOWN, but I keep watching the trailers, and it keeps looking better. I think it might be at least a rental now. ODD THOMAS: Just ONCE, just once in my life, I’d like to see a movie that associates positive things with psychic ability. CAPTAIN PHILLIPS: Is there anybody better than Tom Hanks to play that? With Greengrass directing, it should be great. THE BUTLER: I’m there. THE WORLD’S END looks a lot like SHAUN OF THE DEAD in a good way. As always, my gratitude for putting this together.

• May 15, 2013 12:33 pm

Thank YOU for checking them out, Paula. Sorry for my delayed response. I am really glad to see Tom Hanks cast in Captain Phillips. That one def has my attention. Are there any books that you’d like to see made into a movie that associates positive things with psychic abilities?

• May 15, 2013 4:35 pm

Hey T, I’m trying to think of any piece of fiction that shows psychic ability in a positive way. Maybe I’ll have to write one 🙂

• May 17, 2013 12:20 am

ooh, yes you must! 🙂

2. May 9, 2013 2:05 pm

The World’s End and Captain Phillips look pretty good.

• May 15, 2013 12:35 pm

Captain Phillips looks impressive! It definitely is gripping. Thanks for the comment

3. May 9, 2013 3:14 pm

What Paula said. The film adaptations of ODD THOMAS and ENDER’S GAME is highly anticipated by novels’ fans.

• May 15, 2013 12:36 pm

Odd Thomas was nowhere on my radar until that trailer. oddly enough. haha

4. May 9, 2013 4:06 pm

Looking forward to White House Down and The World’s End. The Butler looks very good – definite awards bait.

• May 15, 2013 12:37 pm

Louise! Thank you for the comment. White House Down is def growing on me. I’d agree with you on The Butler, but something tells me that it still won’t receive the recognition it looks to attain. I dunno. We’ll see.

5. May 9, 2013 7:57 pm

Solid group of Trailers, T. Odd Thomas looks interesting; I haven’t read the books, but Dean Koontz has been good for a yarn now and then. Ender’s Game also looks good. Really, I don’t see anything that looks bad.

• May 15, 2013 12:39 pm

Morgan, thanks for visiting. You’re right…all of the trailers pretty much have something solid to offer this week. Let’s hope the movies are as good or better!

6. May 10, 2013 12:12 pm

The World’s End!!! Yes!

Ender’s Game is being talked about so much and I just don’t see much of anything so far 😦

• May 15, 2013 12:39 pm

Have you read the book for Ender’s Game?

• May 15, 2013 12:53 pm

Nope, you?

• May 15, 2013 1:19 pm

nope. I usually don’t read the books until AFTER I have seen the movie. It’s better that way for me at least

• May 15, 2013 2:48 pm

I read very little, but the concept alone doesn’t interest me.

7. May 10, 2013 1:34 pm

I knew a lot of ppl are anticipating The World’s End. Looks good but it looks just like other Edgar Wright’s movies though. Ooooh Rickman is in The Butler? Color me interested then 😀

• May 15, 2013 12:40 pm

I know what you mean abt World’s End, but it may be fun.

Glad I found the trailer for The Butler. It looks so good. I hope to get to see it.

8. Kal-El permalink
    May 13, 2013 2:39 pm

That Audi commercial gets my nomination for movie commercial of the year right now!

• May 15, 2013 1:11 pm

hahaha a fantastic commercial. so smart!

9. May 18, 2013 10:56 am

I love the Spock vs Spock clip. Funniest bit when old Spock rolls up in his car and re-enacts his scene from Star Trek 2. lol

• May 22, 2013 9:28 am

Spock vs Spock is classic. I really enjoyed that one quite a bit!

1. New Posters of the Week (5/10/13) | The Focused Filmographer