It’s “Time to Vote Tuesday!” 150

May 21, 2013

What is “Time to Vote Tuesday”?:

Last week’s poll: “Director Redirects” has officially closed and the results are in with 38 total votes. Asking which directors you would’ve picked for a trilogy brought out some interesting thoughts and results. Was Quentin Tarantino directing The Godfather trilogy one of the top 2 choices? You’ll have to check out the winners of the poll HERE!Sam Raimi's Spider-Man Trilogy Poster

Thanks to all that voted and made last week’s poll fun!

—————–

This week’s edition of ‘TVT’ entitled “Casting Close Calls” brings a bit of Hollywood trivia to you along with your regular exercising of your freedom to vote!ballot

Last week we looked at directors. And while the choice of director can make a big impact and difference on a film’s overall completion and reception, some would argue that the chosen cast plays a bigger part. (Think Iron Man‘s Robert Downey, Jr. as opposed to director Jon Favreau).jon-favreau-and-robert-downey-jr

Casting does play a big part. Sometimes, the actors cast in our favorite roles weren’t the initial choices, but ended up being the seemingly best choices. Some of the revealed original/alternate choices below are quite surprising, but also quite impossible to visualize now having seen and loved the final cut with the chosen actor playing the part.

For example:

Did you know…

• Harrison Ford took the role of Indiana Jones only after Tom Selleck turned it down? Ford also took the role of Han Solo AFTER it was turned down by Burt Reynolds!
  • …one of Will Smith‘s regrets was turning down the role of Neo in The Matrix?Will-Smith-Neo-Matrix-Movie
  • Henry Cavill (star of next month’s Man of Steel) actually missed out on being Superman in Superman Returns…and was turned down as James Bond in Casino Royale?
  • Lindsay Lohan turned down the role of the stripper Jade (played by Heather Graham) in The Hangover because the part “had no potential”?the-hangover-lindsay-lohan
  • Sean Connery declined to play the role of Gandalf in The Lord of the Rings because 18 months of filming was “too much”?
  • …apparently both Matthew McConaughey and Christian Bale were strong considerations for the part of Jack in Titanic before James Cameron insisted on Leonardo DiCaprio?
  • Hugh Jackman signed up to be Wolverine just two weeks before filming X-Men after two other considerations didn’t commit to the role…one of whom was Russell Crowe?
  • Patrick Swayze‘s role in Ghost was first offered to Demi Moore’s then-husband Bruce Willis…and also Al Pacino, Tom Hanks, Tom Cruise and Kevin Bacon?ghost-1990-03-g

Those are some interesting bits of “Casting Close Calls” that are, perhaps, a little bit more well known than others. Can you imagine Sean Connery yelling “You Shall Not Pass!” as Gandalf?sean-connery-gandalf

😀

Below you will find today’s poll with some “Casting Close Calls” that you may NOT have been aware of. And, admittedly, several of them are ones that I am glad did not work out. Today’s poll asks you to pick the “worst 3” in your opinion that you are really glad did NOT finalize. Have fun learning these “Casting Close Calls” and breathing those sighs of relief…or screaming a tirade of disappointment.bale__oPt

Today I ask you:

——–

Thanks for joining me today! Which Casting Close Call was the most surprising to you?

Can’t wait to see the results next week. Be sure to vote before the polls close on 5-28-13. The results will post on next week’s “Time to Vote Tuesday!”

***Don’t forget: For regular updates on movie news, rumors, pictures, posters, and more, FOLLOW ME on Twitter and Facebook.

———-

1. May 21, 2013 12:15 pm

Now I’m actually pondering if Cavill in Twilight would have made the series better, or just ruined his career? He’s certainly a much better actor than Pattinson and could have been able to bring something…ANYTHING to the role.

In fact, I’ll probably spend the rest of the day recasting that horrible movie in an attempt to make it watchable; starting with Cavill as Edward…Thanks T. 🙂

• May 21, 2013 12:24 pm

hahaha. pondering Twilight all day. I feel the need to apologize to you now. LOL

Well, I’m glad that Cavill wasn’t in it still. I might be upset about him being Superman now. Instead, I am looking forward to it. ha

2. May 21, 2013 12:17 pm

I actually wish Bradley Cooper DID get the part of Hal Jordan. Ryan Reynolds certainly didn’t do all that well with it… perhaps the addition of Cooper could have raised people’s opinion of it. 😦

The Bond franchise might never have gotten off the ground if Grant had taken that part (he’d have only done one movie) so that needed to be a choice here, for me…

• May 21, 2013 12:23 pm

true story, Fogs. and Cary Grant wasn’t interested in a series (as I know you know.) so glad Connery was there to “start” the franchise after Casino Royale with Jimmy Bond.

and I really wanted Cooper to be Green Lantern…so that Reynolds could be The Flash. That was my choice a while back. oh well.

thanks for voting and for the fun comment

3. May 21, 2013 1:18 pm

So many close calls with casting 😀

• May 22, 2013 9:49 am

as I was doing my research, some of these really surprised me. haha. Thanks for voting, Tim!

4. Anonymous permalink
    May 21, 2013 1:52 pm

Nice Poll! My votes were Grant, Biel and Travolta. Although I think any of the above would have been a miscast, these in my opinion would have been the worst out of the bunch 🙂

5. May 21, 2013 2:44 pm

I like this poll! My picks were Grant, Biel, and Travolta. Although I think all would have been miscast, these in my opinion are the worst out of the bunch 🙂

• May 22, 2013 9:50 am

Tajuana! How have you been? Thanks for checking out the poll this week and voting/commenting. Some interesting original picks for sure. I’m not sure i would’ve loved Forrest Gump with John Travolta! haha

• May 24, 2013 8:54 am

Yeah Travolta would have been my pick for the biggest casting mistake if it had taken place…lol

6. May 21, 2013 4:09 pm

I voted Travolta. I can’t see him in that role, plus if he did take it up he probably wouldn’t have been in Pulp Fiction.

• May 22, 2013 9:51 am

Good point. He may not have been in Pulp Fiction. I just really love Hanks in that role and can’t see Travolta doing it. Perhaps they would’ve yelled “Dance Forrest, Dance!” instead of run if it were Travolta!

7. May 21, 2013 5:54 pm

I went with Gibson, Cage and Monroe. I would be particularly upset about Cage taking Rourke’s place. I’m sure Nic would have done alright, but I just can’t imagine anyone doing that role better than Rourke.

• May 22, 2013 9:52 am

Thanks for voting Eric. Appreciate you stopping by. I think Nic woulda done well (oddly enough), but Rourke fits it so great. His build, his face, everything.

and Monroe instead of Hepburn?? So glad that didn’t come to pass!

8. May 21, 2013 11:02 pm

Awesome poll T! I always love casting stories about ‘the one that got away.’ I voted for Cavill, Pitt and Gibson not getting the roles. Oh man, I’m soooo glad Cavill is NOT in Twilight, I think in hindsight I’m sure Cavill is too 😀 And Pitt, meh, I don’t see him as Bourne at all. As for Gibson, well Maximus would be too close to his role in Braveheart I think.

• May 22, 2013 9:58 am

I, too, am so glad that Superman was not a sparkling vampire. Yuck!

I didn’t think about Gibson as Braveheart when comparing the roles. Nice point. I just wouldn’t want anyone other than Crowe doing that. Thanks for voting. I enjoyed this poll myself

1. It’s “Time to Vote Tuesday!” 151 | The Focused Filmographer