New Posters of the Week (5/24/13)

May 24, 2013

Happy Friday! It is time, once again, to check out all of the…

As you know I love checking out and collecting movie posters! With teases of what to expect from the featured film, posters are one of my favorite parts of the whole cinematic experience. If you love movie posters like I do, then you are likely to enjoy the latest ones of the week!

It’s that time again, and, as usual my friend, Bubbawheat (from Flights, Tights and Movie Nights) and I both share our thoughts on the movie posters recently released. These silent movie promoters are the results of the creative brainstorming of some talented (most of them) artists and sometimes can be even more thrilling than the movie they are advertising.

Take a look at this week’s batch: (To view the fullscreen slideshow, click on any one of the posters below and scroll through with the arrow keys.)

Thoughts:

TheFocusedFilmographer– An interesting mix today as not too many of this week’s posters are for blockbusters and yet happen to grab my attention. Byzantium sticks out to me the most with its colors and specifically the use of the color red. I also really like the schizophrenic feel of Maniac, starring Elijah Wood. The Smurfs 2 posters are just annoying to me and I really don’t know what’s going on with the not-blue smurf (?). Aside from the blue eyes in Blue Jasmine, that poster does nothing for me, but The Conjuring is creepy.  While recent incoming reviews for World War Z look promising, I’m disappointed in the familiar re-using of this recent poster’s image of Brad Pitt. Booo! So, all that said, my top 3 posters this week are: Byzantium, Maniac and In the Fog.

Bubbawheat– I absolutely love that Maniac poster, it’s so striking and honestly not something I can think of as ever seeing before in a movie poster. I do also like The Conjuring, but I also feel like that kind of dirty black and white (or often sepia tones) has been done a lot before. I also agree with you on Byzantium, it’s a really striking image and I love the contrast and color scheme. I also find the Smurfs 2 rather annoying with the addition of a crazy smurf and a goth smurf, even though she’s only the third female Smurf after Smurfette and Sassette. I hate to say, but I wasn’t very much a fan of the kinda-painted-look-but-actually-looks-more-like-a-quick-photoshop-filter style of In the Fog.

Well, what do YOU think? Which ones are your favorites in this spotlight? Which ones do you like/hate and why? Leave a comment! 🙂

To see past editions of this post (Spotlight on New Posters of the Week), click HERE.

Posters courtesy ImpAwards, Collider and additional sources (visit them to see more like these).

Special thanks to Bubbawheat of Flights, Tights and Movie Nights for joining me today in sharing the New Posters of the Week.

Have a great day!

1. May 25, 2013 1:19 pm

All of those are kinda uninspired except for that Blood Ties poster. They really could have come up with something more original for Conjuring and Byzantium…

• May 30, 2013 12:06 pm

Lady Sati! Thanks for chiming in on this week’s posters. I know what you mean about uninspiring, but I still think a couple of them are pretty neat. I like that you mention Blood Ties. I was wondering if that one would “speak” to anyone.

2. May 25, 2013 5:15 pm

I’m sure there’s a reason there are non-blue gnomes in the Smurfs poster. I’m equally sure I don’t really care to find out.

I hope Saoirse Ronan starts doing some good movies soon. From the little snippets I’ve seen, she looks like a good actress, I just don’t want to see anything she’s been in yet.

I like the poster for The World’s End; nice and colorful. Maniac, like both of you have stated, has a very creative design to it. I also like the 1970s-style poster for Blood Ties.

• May 30, 2013 12:07 pm

I watched the new trailer for The Smurfs 2 and saw there def is a reason for the non-blue smurfs…and I still don’t care. hahaha.

Saoirse really has had an interesting career so far, it’s true. I hope it takes off for her, but I haven’t been too big a fan of her choices so far. I hold out hope for Byzantium, but I’m more interested in that one for Gemma. TBH

thanks for chiming in on the posters this round. I always appreciate you showing up for these posts. thank you

3. May 26, 2013 7:47 pm

MANIAC is an eyecatcher for sure, it looks scary. Super-psyched for Guillaume Canet’s BLOOD TIES, the ’70s vibe with the type and image on that poster makes me think of like, DOG DAY AFTERNOON. That radial gradient and bright colors in WE’RE THE MILLERS scream weird comedy similar to 40 YEAR OLD VIRGIN. Thanks as always for putting these together 🙂

• May 30, 2013 12:08 pm

someone else agrees on Maniac! Woohoo. haha. Thanks for being such a great fellow enthusiast for the posters. I appreciate it, Paula