It’s “Time to Vote Tuesday!” 151

May 28, 2013

What is “Time to Vote Tuesday”?:

Last week’s poll: Casting Close Calls has officially closed and the results are in with 74 total votes. Asking which casting “almosts” you are most glad did NOT take place. Some interesting trivia and close calls in some really great films that may not have been so well received had the casting been different. Out of all of the close calls, it turned out that John Travolta’s turning down of the role of Forrest Gump is the one that was the MOST appreciated. Be sure to check out the rest of the results in last week’s poll HERE!John_Travolta_Forrest-Gump

Thanks to all that voted and made last week’s poll fun!

—————–

This week’s edition of ‘TVT’ entitled “Hollywood Loves Heists” brings another fun poll to you for your consideration.

Have you ever stopped to realize just how much Hollywood makes us, as audience members, want to cheer on the bad guys? And before you quickly answer and say “No, I always go for the good guys.”HeistMovie-Still8

Consider the following examples:

• In Inception, we hope for a group of skilled thieves to pull off a nigh-impossible crime.
  • In Ocean’s Eleven, we want a group of conniving thieves to rip off another one.
  • In The Sting, we cheer on a group of thieves on a mission of revenge.
  • In Road to Perdition, we relate to and hope for a muscleman of the mob to exact justice.
  • In The Fast & the Furious, we want a group of car thieves to get away from the cops.
  • The Godfather gives us no other option but to side with the mobster himself…same with Scarface.
  • …and the list goes on and on.

oceans

Sure, it may be a matter of perspective (i.e. The Patriot, Robin Hood, V for Vendetta, Gladiator), but if you stop to think about it, there are several films that successfully get you to be on the side of the hodge-podge put-together group of outla… er…”misunderstood miscreants.”V-for-Vendetta-v-for-vendetta-4377504-851-479

With this upcoming weekend’s theatrical release Now You See Me, we are taking a look at movies full of great heists. Check out the trailer for the upcoming heist film that looks pretty fantastic along with a great cast of Jesse Eisenberg, Woody Harrelson, Isla Fisher, Michael Caine, Mark Ruffalo, Morgan Freeman and more!

Today, I shift the focus towards criminals in films that pull off robbery heists that…although they are committing robbery, thievery, etc…you just can’t help but to cheer for and hope they escape! (SMH) For this poll, I ask you to consider the following films that are only from the year 2000 and after (so…no inclusion of Entrapment, The Sting, The Thomas Crown Affair, Dog Day Afternoon, Reservoir Dogs, etc). In the comment section, PLEASE leave your favorite “pre-2000” heist movie list so that I can narrow down the list for a future heist movie poll from the 20th century.

Today I ask you:

——–

Thanks for joining me today!

Michael Caine in 1969's The Italian Job

Michael Caine in 1969’s The Italian Job

Can’t wait to see the results next week. Be sure to vote before the polls close on 6-4-13. The results will post on next week’s “Time to Vote Tuesday!”

***Don’t forget: For regular updates on movie news, rumors, pictures, posters, and more, FOLLOW ME on Twitter and Facebook.

———-

1. May 28, 2013 12:45 pm

Inception and Catch Me If You Can got my votes.

• May 30, 2013 11:38 am

Great choices! ha. I knew this would be a tough vote. I like Inception a lot. Thanks for voting

2. bdgill12 permalink
    May 28, 2013 1:36 pm

Oh man, I love heist movies. This is like choosing my two favorite kids or something. 🙂 I went Ocean’s and Fast Five but The Town, Catch Me If You Can, Italian Job, and Inception all hold great value in my book. Heist movies are just the best.

• May 30, 2013 11:42 am

I’m right there with you, Brian. I love heist movies. haha. I was wondering just how many votes The Town would get with so many others in the mix!

Thanks for voting

3. Anonymous permalink
    May 28, 2013 2:14 pm

Inception was exciting and Italian job was well made all around. Those got my votes. As for pre 2000, the sting is one of my favorite movies ever. Does the hustler or color of money qualify as a heist movie? Why about drive? If drive is a heist movie it gets my vote every time. Also usual suspects is a great one.

• May 30, 2013 11:43 am

I love The Italian Job. ha. I’m not certain of The Hustler as I’ve never seen it. and I really don’t classify Drive as a heist movie, but it’s def open to interpretation I imagine. But a heist isn’t really the focus of the film.

thanks for voting and for the input in this week’s poll!

4. Chris permalink
    May 28, 2013 2:17 pm

Is drive a heist movie? Cause that gets my vote! I voted for inception cause its super exciting and Italian job because its wellie all around.

Pre 2000 I say the sting is one of my all time favorites. Does the hustler and/or color of money count as heist movies? Also usual suspects is a great one.

• May 30, 2013 11:43 am

I LOVE The Sting. a fave of mine to be sure

5. May 28, 2013 3:28 pm

So this was definitely one of the hardest Tuesday votes you’ve put together. I completely concur with the dude who thought it was like picking his two favorite kids. The only easy part of this was that I’ve never seen The Score and so can’t comment on its heist-ness.

• May 30, 2013 11:46 am

🙂 ha. I’m glad that this one “sparked thought, debate, and intrigue.” Thanks for voting and commenting in this week’s poll. So much fun seeing the responses.

See The Score soon.

6. May 28, 2013 4:53 pm

Great poll T, I’m gonna see Now You See Me on Thursday, hope it’ll be decent.

Well I went with Inception and The Italian Job, but I think Ocean’s Eleven was pretty good (the first one) though as you know, I’m not a huge fan of the cast like most ppl 🙂

• May 30, 2013 11:47 am

Ruth! Always wonderful to have you here on TVT! Thanks for the share on Twitter btw. The Italian Job is a good one to go with. I love it.

I didn’t remember that you weren’t a fan of the cast of Ocean’s Eleven. Who don’t you like?

• May 30, 2013 12:51 pm

I think I’m pretty vocal that I’m not fond of Pitt and Clooney, but I suppose the rest are all right.

• June 3, 2013 3:46 pm

haha. I can just hear you saying “eh, but I suppose the rest are all right” hahaha

7. May 28, 2013 7:18 pm

I went with Inception and Ocean’s 11. Good thing you specified post-2000, though. I’m a much bigger fan of the original The Italian Job than the remake.

• May 30, 2013 11:51 am

I really love the original Italian Job as well. I own both and nothing beats Michael Caine as Charlie. haha. and…such a cliffhanger ending!

thanks for voting.

8. jackdeth72 permalink
    May 29, 2013 10:19 am

Hi, Terrence:

I went with ‘Inception’ because it takes crime to a higher, more imaginative and ethereal level. While ‘Snatch’ is a heist film to start. That evolves into a wacky variant of the 1960s post heist comedy classic, ‘It’s a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World’.

BTW: Where’s ‘The Inside Man’? I put it in “Other” in case it slipped by.

• May 30, 2013 11:52 am

I did forget about Inside Man and remembered after publishing, but it was too late. Thanks for making that your vote in “Other.” I liked Inside Man, but not as much as the others…for me.

appreciate the input and your votes

9. May 29, 2013 10:36 am

I went with Snatch and Ocean’s Eleven, though seeing Fast Five listed has me even more curious to finally check it out. 🙂

• May 30, 2013 11:53 am

Fast Five!!! Must see. 🙂

thanks for voting Eric! Glad to see ya

10. May 30, 2013 5:32 am

Cool range of options. Great to see The Score in there. I quite like that film. I randomly got it on VHS, solely because of the actors involved, and it turned out to be pretty decent I think. Not sure if it gets much love off anyone else.

• May 30, 2013 11:53 am

Hey man, glad to have you here. Thanks for voting. I like The Score and it def slips by many people.

1. It’s “Time to Vote Tuesday!” 152 | The Focused Filmographer