“Trailer Time Thursday!” 6.27.13

June 27, 2013

Today is THURSDAY!!! And you know what that means!! 🙂 It is officially time for another fun-filled edition of “Trailer Time Thursday!”

Here is your weekly fix of “Triple-T” (aka: “Trailer Time Thursday!”)!!

In case this is your first visit to “Triple-T,” here’s what it’s all about:

Seeing as how everyone loves movie previews, “Trailer Time Thursday!” was created to bring all of the trending trailers that you may have missed in theaters, or just need to see, all in one convenient place! It makes Thursdays so great! Get ready! Your Preview Pandemonium awaits!

Check them out and ENJOY!!! :)

Trailers:

The Counselor (teaser). A drug trafficking story about a lawyer who gets a little more than he bargained for with a particular case. With an all-star cast including Brad Pitt, Cameron Diaz, Javier Bardem, Michael Fassbender, John Leguizamo, Penelope Cruz and more, this trailer is definitely guilty of getting my attention. Look for the case to open on October 25, 2013.

Jobs. Ashton Kutcher stars in this biopic that pays tribute to Steve Jobs and tells the story of how the Apple innovator, icon and inventor built and created one of the most successful companies in the world. Announced almost in the same week of Jobs’ sad passing, this movie has been on the fast track to its release on August 16, 2013.

The Colony. Chilly temperatures and cannibals plague one of the last colonies on earth after a future apocalyptic ice age becomes the “normal” living conditions. Reminiscent a little bit of Doomsday meets Assault on Precinct 13 meets 28 Days Later, The Colony stars Laurence Fishburne, Bill Paxton and more and is scheduled to release soon.

Pacific Rim. An action packed new trailer for on of the July releases that I am most excited about. Guillermo del Toro directs this film of the earth’s giant forces fighting to protect the inhabitants of the planet to “cancel the apocalypse.” Get the sense of films like Armageddon, Transformers and more in this massive film that will be a ton of fun action on July 12, 2013.

Thanks For Sharing. Mark Ruffalo, Pink and Josh Gad star as three recovering sex addicts and their path of recovery and love during their 12-step program. Basically a rom-com version of Michael Fassbender’s Shame. Also starring Gwyneth Paltrow, Tim Robbins and more, take steps to check out this program as it begins on September 20, 2013.

Escape Plan. Recently, we saw them together in The Expendables 1 and 2. We saw them separately in The Last Stand and Bullet to the Head. Now we get to see Stallone and Schwarzenegger together…in a top security prison…fighting to survive and find those that set them up and make them pay. Stallone, an expert prison escape artist is lured into a prison to be forgotten about, but he won’t easily be forgotten. Looking forward to all of the banter back and forth between the two (as evidenced in the trailer). Also starring Vincent D’Onofrio, Jim Caviezel, Vinnie Jones, 50 Cent, Sam Neill and more, Escape Plan releases on October 18.

Drinking Buddies. Oh, the complexity of emotions when friends become lovers and lovers become friends. Two co-workers at a Chicagoan brewery flirt all day long but are both in relationships. A double date of a weekend puts those relationships to the test as feelings complicate and drive them all apart. Starring Olivia Wilde, Jake Johnson, Anna Kendrick and more, this party begins on July 25, 2013.

Spotlight Video of the Week:

Amazing Visual Effects Reel from The Great Gatsbygreat_gatsby

While The Great Gatsby may have been a greater disappointment to some, it cannot be denied that the look of Baz Luhrmann’s reinterpretation of the famous F. Scott Fitzgerald film was astounding. Just this past week, VFX supervisor Chris Godfrey released this reel (with Luhrmann’s permission) to show off some of the work they did to make the world of Gatsby come to life!

My name is Chris Godfrey and I was the VFX supervisor on the film.

Baz has graciously agreed to let us release this ‘before and afters’ reel to show our peer group the VFX work completed on his film ‘The Great Gatsby’. While this specific reel was the work of Animal Logic (as my primary vendor), in total I worked with 7 vendors including Animal Logic, Rising Sun and Iloura in Australia, ILM in San Francisco and also Prime Focus and Method Vancouver. We also ran an amazing internal SWAT team that completed over 400 shots. Congratulations to all who did such fabulous work on almost 1500 shots.

Many thanks to Baz, CM, Catherine Knapman, Chris DeFaria and Mark Brown – and of course Prue Fletcher and Joyce Cox.

You can see his original posting of the video and the comments HERE.

Check out the amazing work! I wouldn’t have guessed that some of the scenes were accomplished via greenscreen. Wow!

Well, that’s it for this round of ‘Triple-T’!

My favorite trailers from today: The Counselor, Escape Plan and Pacific Rim.

Which ones are your favorites??

This Week

This Weekend’s Theatrical Releases:

Are you ready for the weekend in theaters? Here’s what releases this weekend, June 28, 2013:

• Wide Release: White House Down and The Heat
  • Limited Release: Byzantium, I’m So Excited, A Band Called Death and more.

1. June 27, 2013 12:01 pm

The more I see Pacific Rim, the more I’m not exactly sure if it’ll be good but still, its Guillermo del Toro. In my mind, he can pull off anything! Thanks for Sharing has an interesting plot and Drinking Buddies looks alright. OH! and Escape Plan looks cool 🙂

• July 2, 2013 10:26 pm

I really am stoked for Pacific Rim. plot or no plot, the action is going to be like what I imagined all the animes I watched growing up to be. woohoo. Can’t wait to cancel the apocalypse! 🙂

2. June 27, 2013 12:04 pm

The Counselor is the only trailer here that i really liked

• July 2, 2013 10:27 pm

Hey Julian, thanks for stopping in to comment and watch. I think The Counselor is def one to keep your eyes out for

3. June 27, 2013 12:06 pm

Nice post. I’m unconvinced about Jobs. Judging by the trailer, I feel that Kutcher is miscast as Steve Jobs and the movie is trying to take a Social Network-vibe, which I don’t think it can successfully replicate.

• July 2, 2013 10:28 pm

That is the movie I was trying to think of that Jobs reminds me of…Social Network! Thank you. I just couldn’t put my finger on it. Yep. I am dubious about Kutcher’s casting as well. Perhaps it’s something he was really passionate about and pushed to get. (?)

4. June 27, 2013 2:28 pm

Nice crop today T! Love this line: “Basically a rom-com version of Michael Fassbender’s Shame.” Of course I’m super-psyched for THE COUNSELLOR but as a designer, I have to say now I’m psyched for JOBS, if only for the part where he tells the guy who doesn’t think a typeface is a pressing issue to “get out”! LOL

• July 2, 2013 10:34 pm

hahaha heheee. Thanks for taking note of that. I was pretty proud of that line.

interesting. a mixed batch of reactions to JOBS today. Thanks for watching/commenting

5. June 27, 2013 8:37 pm

That Gatsby reel was cool!

• July 2, 2013 10:36 pm

Hey sir. Thanks for watching. It was a very beautiful find. I quite liked it myself. I was impressed

6. June 27, 2013 9:35 pm

Hi, Terrence:

I saw the trailer for ‘The Colony’ months ago when it was under another name. Re-titling a film will usually not make it better.

‘The Counselor’ looks like a more high end blend of ‘Savages’ meets ‘The Lincoln Lawyer’.

• July 2, 2013 10:37 pm

I barely seem to recall The Colony being titled something else. I agree, a title does not a movie alone make.

I like your summation of The Counselor. We’ll see if it rolls out that way

7. June 28, 2013 5:51 am

Its amazing how unrealistic ‘Jobs’ looks, the film will be super dramatized and will lie constantly! 😦

Love the poster for Colony, the names are over the wrong actors haha xD

Escape Plan should be fun, looks like it should have been made in the 80’s 😀

• July 2, 2013 10:40 pm

Looking forward to seeing both stars in Escape Plan. and i like the fact that Jim Caviezel is in it too.

8. June 28, 2013 7:05 am

I’m excited only about THE COLONY. They’ve released that trailer internationally back in January or February and I loved it. I do love me films set in polar regions and eternal winter 🙂

• July 2, 2013 10:40 pm

Polar regions and eternal winter! 🙂 love it

9. June 29, 2013 5:17 am

Perky nipples on Olivia Wilde! Oh man, I am so up for that!

• July 2, 2013 10:44 pm

ha, I didn’t notice that screenshot until after posting it. well…

it made you watch the trailer I guess. haha

10. June 30, 2013 7:24 pm

Hello T, how’ve you been my friend? Wow, The Counselor definitely piqued my interest w/ Fassy looking sooo suave 😉 Brad who?? 😀

• July 2, 2013 10:45 pm

Ruth! How wonderful to see you back. I have been way too busy beyond words but well. Thanks for being here. haha. “Brad who??”

11. July 1, 2013 5:47 pm

Thanks for “The Counselor” trailer! I am psyched to see that cast together, though I am still skeptical of Ridley Scott after “Prometheus”… of well, I’ll surely give it a chance! 😉

• July 2, 2013 10:46 pm

Thanks for taking the time to watch. I liked Prometheus myself and am pretty interested in this one. A great cast, as you said.

Thanks for stopping by