“It’s Time to Vote Tuesday” 157!

July 9, 2013

Today is Tuesday! and if you’ve been coming here for any length of time, you know that, for most people Tuesday is just the day after Monday, but for you it means that “Time to Vote Tuesday” is here!! YES!!! What is “Time to Vote Tuesday”?:

Last week’s poll: Re-release Recommendations has officially closed and the results are in with 47 total votes. Asking which movie you would prefer to see re-released in IMAX 3D from a list of films that hypothetically HAVE to be released. The two movies that you choose to have studios re-release were: Back to the Future with 8 votes and 2001: A Space Odyssey with 7 votes. It was a very close race for all of the options and I appreciate you all making the poll last week so much fun!Back_to_the_Future

Be sure to check out how many votes each movie got in last week’s poll HERE! Thanks to all that voted and made last week’s poll fun!

—————–

This week’s edition of ‘TVT’ entitled “Best in the West” begs to ask you to choose the best of films in the genre of Westerns.

Growing up, I watched a lot of westerns with my father. Films like Winchester ’73, The Searchers, Broken Arrow (1950) and more list among some of my favorites along with tv shows such as Bonanza, The Rifleman and more.Winchester73_3

With the recent (and sad, yet expected) bomb of a release The Lone Ranger in theaters, I decided to bring to light some REAL westerns to remind fans what a western really is. (The Lone Ranger keeps getting referred to as one…but, when compared to real ones, it isn’t.)the-lone-ranger-4

Below you will find a list of westerns…10 to be exact…and your job today is to choose 3 that can be crowned as the TOP 3 westerns of all time. Some, such as True Grit and 3:10 to Yuma  are listed but have been remade. Your vote in those instances can count towards either the original or the remake. (If you wish, you can specify your choice in the comment section).hondo

Today I ask you:

Let’s hear it for your favorite gunslinging movies!

——–

Thanks for joining me today! Let me know in the comment section below which of the choices, if any, you like most! Can’t wait to see the results next week. Be sure to vote before the polls close on 7-16-13. The results will post on next week’s “Time to Vote Tuesday!”

***Don’t forget: For regular updates on movie news, rumors, pictures, posters, and more, FOLLOW ME on Twitter and Facebook.

———-

1. GoldenBear permalink
    July 9, 2013 6:18 pm

You need to have The Cowboys with John Wayne.

• July 9, 2013 6:34 pm

a good choice! I couldn’t add ALL westerns. But that one is a good one for sure! Thanks for voting/commenting GoldenBear!

2. July 9, 2013 6:19 pm

I’m going to go with Unforgiven, Tombstone, and Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. My father (a western aficionado) says The Searchers is the best of all time, but I haven’t seen it yet myself.

• July 9, 2013 6:35 pm

Hey Morgan, thanks for voting. Ya know, I remember watching The Searchers, I remember liking it, I don’t remember thinking “that was the best western I’ve ever seen.” Perhaps I should watch it again. Some great westerns did get your votes here though. Thanks.

3. July 9, 2013 6:31 pm

Where “McCabe & Mrs. Miller”? and “The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance”? Those along with “Butch Cassidy…” would top my 3, that is if we’re only doing classic westerns. What about non-classical ones like “Brokeback Mountain”, “The Last Picture Show”, “Paris, Texas”, “Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia”? I’d argue they’re modern-day westerns. “Dances with Wolves”?

• July 9, 2013 6:37 pm

Unfortunately, I’ve only seen two of the titles you listed here that are not options on the poll. Thanks for bringing them into the discussion here in the comment section. I happily added the “Other” option for cases such as this. Can’t add every western in a poll unfortunately.

as for non-classical westerns, I’d say they aren’t westerns as much as they are films that take place in a western backdrop. But that is just a matter of my own opinion. Thanks for voting. It’s always fun.

4. Renese permalink
    July 9, 2013 6:31 pm

My favorite western is “The Missing” but it’s not an option to vote on. 😦

• July 9, 2013 6:39 pm

The Missing is missing indeed. 🙂 Did you realize that both actors who have played Batman’s villain TWO-FACE are in that film? Both Tommy Lee Jones and Aaron Eckhart! Pretty cool. Thanks for voting and commenting today.

5. jackdeth72 permalink
    July 9, 2013 8:38 pm

Hi, Terrence:

I’ll see your ‘Tombstone’. And raise you Peckinpah’s ‘The Wild Bunch’ and ‘Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid’.

You may wish to re-think your choices and offerings in the poll. Too pat and homogenous.

• July 9, 2013 11:17 pm

Aha! A good set of options you have listed. and definitely worthy to be on the list if coming from you as recommendations. I often leave the “other” option in categories such as this as any list will never satisfy all. Glad that it serves its purpose here. 🙂 Thanks for voting and for sharing some of your faves.

6. July 9, 2013 9:13 pm

I voted for The Searchers, The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly, and other, with the other being Once Upon A Time in the West. The best western would be between that and The Searchers.

• July 9, 2013 11:19 pm

Thanks for voting. You know, I still am not certain that The Searchers would still make it as being the best in my eyes. It’s been too long since I’ve seen it, but it didn’t have that big of an impact on me as I’d like. Perhaps I must watch it again.

7. Ted S. permalink
    July 9, 2013 11:10 pm

Well you got two of my favorites on the poll, Unforgiven and A Fist Full of Dollars, my third favorite is The Wild Bunch. Also I would like to add The Outlaw Josey Whales. As someone else mentioned here, I also like Peckinpah’s modern day, sort of, western Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia.

• July 9, 2013 11:20 pm

Woohoo! I got two! it seems that some are quite happy with the options on the poll while others are disappointed at the exclusions. ha. and that’s okay. I like seeing the favorites mentioned in the comments. I was wondering who would mention Outlaw Josey Wales. Great choices, Ted. Thanks for voting and adding to this poll.

8. July 10, 2013 9:30 am

Off the top of my head, my favorites are Unforgiven, A Fistful of Dollars and Once Upon a Time in the West. I like Jack’s write-in vote for The Wild Bunch, too.

• July 14, 2013 4:53 pm

Hey Eric. Thanks for voting. Yes, there seems to be some extra love for The Wild Bunch. So many great options and I love learning more from the options people are penciling in!

9. July 10, 2013 9:55 am

As far as True Grit and 310 to Yuma goes, would I be voting for the original or the remake? or both? I voted for Unforgiven and True Grit thinking more the remake of True Grit. I always like Open Range as a newer western and when I was younger I really liked Chisom.

• July 14, 2013 4:54 pm

Your votes can be for whichever version(s) you choose. I have yet to see Open Range but it is on my list. Thanks for voting.

10. July 10, 2013 11:51 am

Good Bad Ugly, Butch & Sundance, and I suppose I’ll go Unforgiven for the third slot.

• July 14, 2013 4:54 pm

ha. Thanks Ian for voting.

11. bdgill12 permalink
    July 10, 2013 6:51 pm

I don’t know if it’s the BEST but Tombstone is EASILY my favorite. One of my 5 or 10 favorite movies of all time.

• July 14, 2013 4:55 pm

ooh. one of your top movies of all time! Thanks for voting, Brian!

12. July 17, 2013 6:10 am

In order: Other – “Once Upon A Time in the West”, “True Grit” (w/ Jeff Bridges), and “The Searchers”

I did a blog post way back when about my favorite Westerns. Here it is: http://victorsmoviereviews.com/2011/07/28/5-best-cowboy-movies-westerns/

• July 18, 2013 11:27 am

Thanks for voting Victor! I’ll be sure to check out your post. Appreciate you sharing. I really liked True Grit myself

1. “It’s Time to Vote Tuesday” 158! | The Focused Filmographer