“It’s Time to Vote Tuesday” 159!

July 30, 2013

Today is Tuesday! and if you’ve been coming here for any length of time, you know that, for most people Tuesday is just the day after Monday, but for you it means that “Time to Vote Tuesday” is here!! YES!!! What is “Time to Vote Tuesday”?:

Last week’s poll: Riddle Me This, Riddle Me That: Who should be the next big Man of the Bat? has officially closed and the results are in with 39 and 29 total votes per poll respectively. Asking which plausible candidates to play the next Batman in the upcoming Superman/Batman mashup film would you like to possible be considered for the role. The top 2 Bat Boys have been chosen and it was a lot of fun reading all the comments and watching the close results! Congrats to Matt Bomer and Richard Armitage who both barely won the polls and edged out the competition. I know that my friend Ruth at Flixchatter.net will be extremely pleased to see the results, especially given the post she published today about the subject.superman_batman

Be sure to check out how many votes each of the 12 candidates received in last week’s poll HERE!

—————–

This week’s edition of ‘TVT’ entitled “Blu-Ray Benefits” entertains the idea behind buying and collecting movies on blu-ray.

There’s two reasons for this poll this week:

(1) Many of you know that I work in retail and one of the portions of the store that I am responsible over is the movie section. (YES!!) Often I see people roam the aisles in search for they-don’t-even-know-yet and find several people still picking up dvd copies instead of blu-ray copies of movies that just seemed to have been created for blu-ray. You know what I mean. The ones that just look and sound amazing with the high definition video and audio (i.e. The Matrix, Ben-Hur, The Dark Knight, etc.). To the which I often recommend the blu-ray version and a regular response is: “I don’t have a blu-ray player.” or “DVD is just fine, blu-ray is just a scam to get our money and then convert everything again to ‘Purple-Ray’.” (Not kidding, that’s what I’ve been told several times.)movies

(2) Ian over at ianthecool has a series going on over at his site about Converting to blu-ray and collecting blu-ray movies. While he is sadly mistaken on his opinion of “inefficiency” of organizing one’s collection in alphabetical order in his 2nd post of the series HERE (high-five to all of you who organize your movies this way), he brings up some excellent reasons to convert over to blu-ray in his first post HERE.img_3039

So, today I am curious about your opinion. You visit this site because of your shared enjoyment of movies and movie related subjects. Therefore, I assume, that you must have an opinion on the subject one way or the other. Do you buy movies? Do you buy BLU-RAY movies? If so, WHY do you buy them?

Today I ask you:

If you collect, I have 2 questions for you to answer in the comment section: How many movies do you own? and how do you arrange your movies?dvd

——–

Thanks for joining me today! Let me know in the comment section below the answers to the questions and your preference for blu-ray movies! Can’t wait to see the results next week. Be sure to vote before the polls close on 8-6-13. The results will post on next week’s “Time to Vote Tuesday!”

***Don’t forget: For regular updates on movie news, rumors, pictures, posters, and more, FOLLOW ME on Twitter and Facebook.

———-

1. Chris permalink
    July 30, 2013 12:18 pm

I don’t know how many are in my collection. Mostly DVDs but my blu-rays are growing. Some are replacements but most are not. I replaced the dark knight trilogy, and mad men. I still have some VHS tapes too. Star Wars trilogy and Indiana jones trilogy are the main ones. When they come out with blu-ray versions that are original theatrical releases, then ill upgrade. I tend to organize alphabetically and by format (VHS, DVD, blue-ray). Also I organize by If they’re movies as part of a series, and keep movies separate from tv series.

• August 2, 2013 11:51 pm

Thanks for voting. This is always fun to hear about from other collectors. Ooh, still holding on to the VHS Star Wars and Indiana Jones!! Nice.

2. July 30, 2013 12:18 pm

To upgrade my films to the best visual and audio presentation possible. Honestly, I don’t really care about special features whatsoever. I used to, in the early days of DVD collecting, but now I don’t care. I care more about packaging than special features. The “making of” documentaries are just all the same after a while, and I would much rather just watch the movie then watch the movie with commentary. And blooper gag reels just feel like a big inside joke I’m on the outside for.

• August 2, 2013 11:53 pm

ha, I wish that there were more special features with movies often. I like to learn more about the behind the scenes stuff. I don’t love blooper gag reels, but they give a bit of insight into the behind the scenes stuff that I love. haha. Thanks for voting and being a good sport with my comments about your post! 😉

3. July 30, 2013 12:19 pm

Am a streamer but I still have a sizable collection 😀

• August 2, 2013 11:54 pm

A streamer, huh? Me too. Are there certain movies that you run out and just HAVE to own when they release? or do you wait until they go on sale?

• August 3, 2013 8:54 am

Being poor I wait haha xD

But I normally see most films so I never feel the immediate urge to see it again 😀

• August 6, 2013 7:54 pm

I understand that on all counts my friend!

4. July 30, 2013 1:34 pm

My DVD collection is over 300 but that was when I used to buy anything especially new releases for I regretted. Then Netflix came along and stopped my collection for awhile. At first I had no intention to collect blu-rays until I purchased a PS3(Im a x-box fan) and purchased and saw Hellboy 3 and The Dark Knight and there on I can’t watch DVDs anymore. I refuse to watch DVDs only blu-rays. So far my blu-ray collection is decent, I purchase movies with caution now. My method now is quality over quantity, I want to have a big collection but a collection of great films. I dont have them in a particular order, I just cant choose a way how. Great topic.

• July 30, 2013 3:23 pm

Quality over quantity. Good man. And by choosing blu over Netflix you’re also choosing quality over convenience, which I like to see.

• August 2, 2013 11:55 pm

I agree with quality over quantity and use the same logic! Thanks for chiming in Issy. I appreciate your input.

and kudos for the xbox mention! What games do you play? We should throw down some Injustice sometime! 🙂

5. July 30, 2013 1:39 pm

I collect Bluray to convert mostly animation or CGI heavy movies from DVD. There are some that I honestly don’t feel the need to upgrade. Unless the price is really not much difference (which it isn’t most of the time) then I choose Bluray over DVD.
    I arrange all my movies in alphabetical order but separated by Hollywood movies, foreign and a special section for Studio Ghibli and Disney. 🙂

• August 2, 2013 11:56 pm

You’re right, Kim. There ARE some that don’t necessarily need the upgrade so then I buy DVD when it comes to that.

I like the way you separate your films, but am very much impressed and glad that you stilld o alphabetical. 🙂

6. July 30, 2013 4:32 pm

No Blu-Ray player, no HDTV. Someday.

• July 30, 2013 8:49 pm

I am cheap so sometimes I pick up used DVD’s especially if they are movies for my kid. for some reason he inherited his care of disks from his mom and not me. I do have a bunch of blu-rays but also a bunch of DVDs and HD-DVDs

• July 30, 2013 8:59 pm

I do the same. I used to avoid used DVDs, since the error correction on early players wasn’t very good (meaning that even slight scratches meant a disc was unplayable) but it’s not as big a deal nowadays. I still make sure there are no scratches, though.

• August 2, 2013 11:57 pm

Someday, Morgan! ha. and when that time comes, I know a guy that works at a store with those things and can make a few recommendations. 😉

7. July 31, 2013 5:13 am

Don’t have a Blu Ray player and kind of stopped collecting a while ago. I might occasionally buy some DVDs, but in general I’ve become a big fan of on demand services. Takes up a whole lot less space 😉 As I never watch extras I don’t feel I’m missing much.

• August 2, 2013 11:58 pm

No collecting at all? onDemand services are great, it’s true. Do you stream in any other way? I’m curious. Thanks for voting/commenting.

8. July 31, 2013 5:41 am

Always alphabetical. It is the only way. I keep the blu-rays and the DVDs separate. And I also keep TV separate from films. Not exactly sure about numbers. Perhaps 200?

• July 31, 2013 12:14 pm

Its the only? Odd, as mine is not that way…
      Now, if you were to rephrase and say “Always alphabetical. Its the only way if you want your collection to be static and boring” then I can agree with you. 😉

• August 2, 2013 11:58 pm

hahahahHAHAHAHA. Oh, Ian!

Alphabetical is Awesome. Accept it. 😉

9. July 31, 2013 10:55 am

I own probably a few hundred movies on both blu-ray and DVD. I organize my films by genre.

• July 31, 2013 12:14 pm

What is your bluray to DVD ratio?

• August 1, 2013 5:43 am

I think about half of my collection is still DVD. I’m slowly updating some of my favorite movies to blu though.

• August 2, 2013 11:59 pm

Thanks for commenting and voting my friend. organizing by genre, huh? What genres do you use?

10. July 31, 2013 2:55 pm

I voted yesterday but forgot to comment. Well, I bought the BD because of the special features and also the HD visual/audio quality 😀

• August 3, 2013 12:00 am