New Posters of the Week (11/2/13)

November 2, 2013

Happy Saturday! It is time, once again, to check out all of the…

As you know I love checking out and collecting movie posters! With teases of what to expect from the featured film, posters are one of my favorite parts of the whole cinematic experience. If you love movie posters like I do, then you are likely to enjoy the latest ones of the week!

It’s that time again, and, as usual my friend, Bubbawheat (from Flights, Tights and Movie Nights) and I both share our thoughts on the movie posters recently released. These silent movie promoters are the results of the creative brainstorming of some talented (most of them) artists and sometimes can be even more thrilling than the movie they are advertising. Take a look at this week’s batch: (To view the fullscreen slideshow, click on any one of the posters below and scroll through with the arrow keys.)

For a nice look at the latest character posters for The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug, be sure to visit Dezzy at The Hollywood Spy for his post dedicated to them! Click HERErjl7ig

Thoughts:

TheFocusedFilmographerspiderman-logo-2_reasonably_small

After a week without a look at posters, this week gives plenty to look at and I am quite pleased with several of the artistic offerings here today. Where to begin? Well, let me first off start with what DOESN’T work. Hours is a horrible poster that has a giant Godzilla-sized Paul Walker wading through the flooded streets of New Orleans. Who designed that poster? I think it is one of the worst of the year actually. And while the style of The Hunger Games: Catching Fire is unique…I don’t really like it. It does nothing to increase my desire to see the movie, and a poster should increase that desire and excitement.

Monuments Men is cool simply because all of the characters look like monuments standing there and they finally included Cate Blanchett in a poster, but I still don’t like the poster. Have to mention the observation of both Anchorman 2 and American Hustle having two characters each with both hands on their hips. (Perhaps Paul Walker was supposed to be next to the giants in Anchorman 2 poster and somehow they mixed it up and accidentally photoshopped him into the Hours poster instead.) haha.

But, enough with what I didn’t like. Here’s what I found to be impressive with this week’s posters: I like the use of color in 47 Ronin separating the characters. White Reindeer uses colorization that I am not a fan of, but it is the ladder/Christmas tree of coke lines that actually makes this poster a strong one for me and intrigues me. Snowpiercer is plain but the looks on the faces of all of the characters tells the desperation that we are sure to see and makes me more interested. Nurse 3D‘s pin-up style is attractive and seductive and I can’t help but wonder what in the world is going on with Kermit and his “Dr. Evil” look in the Muppets: Most Wanted poster.

Have to mention the artwork of The Appearing and how the images work and weave together. I really like that and am curious as to different people’s interpretation of it prior to seeing any trailer. And Blue is the Warmest Color…well, that is perhaps the most striking of the day.

My faves of the week: Snowpiercer, Captain America: The Winter Soldier and Blue is the Warmest Color.

Bubbawheatmovienightslogo copy

You’re right about there being a lot of great artistic posters this time around and I’m pretty much in agreement with a lot of what T already said. At first I thought The Hunger Games: Catching Fire looked really great, but I think the problem with it is that it is too monochomistic so that all the great little details in that giant… thing, get all muddled together and nothing stands out. The Appearing is a somewhat similar poster, but since it’s a much simpler image, the details are much clearer and the blending between the two superimposed images is excellent.

I also agree with you on White Reindeer, I don’t like the stylization of the girl in front, but the combination of the cocaine lines and the Christmas tree design along with the tagline does make me very curious. I also like the Christianity turned on its head with The Marked Ones poster as well as the very Bettie Page pinup Nurse 3D poster.

I will comment briefly on the Mr. Peabody poster, and I did also watch the trailer. I grew up watching a lot of Rocky & Bullwinkle reruns when I was a kid, and Mr. Peabody & Sherman was one of my favorite parts of the show, while I do think that they got the design right, I don’t understand why they chose a poster with him looking head on, completely losing his profile. The other animated offering, the Good Dinosaur I’m not too sure of. The movie itself lost a director & got pushed back a year, and I’m not really sold on the design of that Dino. If I didn’t know any better, I would never have guessed that it was a Pixar movie.

My faves of the week: Nurse 3D, The Appearing poster and Blue is the Warmest Color

Well, what do YOU think? Which ones are your favorites in this spotlight? Which ones do you like/hate and why? Leave a comment! 🙂

Special thanks to Bubbawheat of Flights, Tights and Movie Nights for joining me today in sharing the New Posters of the Week.

1. November 2, 2013 11:10 am

My feelings on the Good Dinosaur poster mirror yours. I’m disappointed it was pushed back, and it does look more Dreamworks than Pixar.

Anchorman 2 has an awesome poster. They’ve done a great job with promotion so far.

Even though I’m not interested in American Hustle, I will say that the poster seems to match the style of the film based off the trailers.

• November 9, 2013 12:01 pm

Hey Ian, Thanks for checking out the posters. Fun stuff this week. Appreciate your input.

2. November 2, 2013 11:26 am

Thanks for the delightful shotout, dear Terrence, we really do like the new HOBBIT posters 🙂
    Out of the others, 47 RONIN, MIDAS BOX and I, FRANKENSTEIN steal the show for me 🙂

• November 9, 2013 12:03 pm

My pleasure. I love your spotlights and appreciate you stopping in here to see the others my friend!

3. November 2, 2013 12:27 pm

So many posters, and believe it or not, so many of them are actually good! Except for American Hustle’s poster. For some reason, I can’t help but feel disappointed by how much better they could have done with a whole one.

• November 9, 2013 12:06 pm

haha. It’s always fun when the majority of them actually surprisingly impress. I know sometimes they can disappoint. Thanks for checking them out, Dan the Man!

4. November 2, 2013 3:02 pm

I agree that The Good Dinosaur doesn’t look like Pixar… doesn’t even look like Dreamworks, really. Blue Sky, perhaps. We’ll see how the film itself turns out, though. I like the Mr. Peabody poster, though I agree showing him in profile would have been better. Haven’t watched the trailer yet. Will soon… deep trepidation on this one, though, as a fan of the series, and as someone who remembers The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle being a terrible film.

T., the “Dr. Evil” Kermit is apparently a look-alike jewel thief (note the regular Kermit in the crowd). So as The Muppets mirrored The Muppet Movie, they’re apparently copying The Great Muppet Caper for this one. If the next one features them taking on Broadway, I’m going to scream.

That Captain America poster feels very similar to some of the ones for the first movie.

Interesting design on the poster for The Appearing. I’m sure it’s not a good movie, but it’s a good poster.

Love the pulp-sci-fi look of the second Last Days on Mars poster. I must have seen hundreds of 60s sci-fi books with covers exactly like that.

• November 9, 2013 12:07 pm

Thanks for the clarification on The Muppet poster, Morgan. I really had no idea what was going on. But I much rather prefer original storylines than the copycat ones myself. Well, we will see.

I thought the same thing about the Last Days on Mars poster. It reminded me of paperback scifi books too.

Glad to see you here checking out the posters. Thanks

5. November 3, 2013 11:24 pm

A few thoughts:

The other poster for Nurse, which had the lady nude save for a slathering of blood, is better, but that vaguely euphemistic poster is okay.

Genesis Rodriguez is absolutely hotter than fire, so I’d go to see Hours just for her.

I’ll be seeing Snowpiercer regardless of any poster they make.

Horror films (The Appearing) generally have vastly better posters than the films they’re promoting, and I’d wager The Appearing is no different.

And can somebody explain the poster for That Awkward Moment to me? That’s a pick for Worst Of 2013, right there.

Neither of those posters for The Last Days On Mars sell the film, really. For a sci-fi horror film, it needs better.

• November 9, 2013 12:40 pm

Hey Rodney! Thanks for checking out the posters. I saw the other Nurse poster a few months back, but, as I try to keep these posts more family friendly I opted not to post it. It really did give more of what to expect with the amount of blood though, didn’t it? wow.

I, too, am looking forward to Snowpiercer.

haha. That Awkward Moment poster is awkward indeed. Perhaps that’s the point??! 🙂

6. November 4, 2013 8:01 am

I like the Snowpiercer one looks good 😀

• November 9, 2013 12:42 pm

Agreed. Can’t wait to see it myself