Movie News Monday for March 24, 2014.

March 24, 2014

Welcome to this week’s edition of “Movie News Monday!” (“MNM!”) [and, coincidentally, my break from my hiatus]

What is ‘MNM’ all about?

In case this is your first time here, “Movie News Monday!” (MNM) is the place to visit on Mondays for a quick recap of trending entertainment news! I’ve collected info, rumors, etc from all over just for you to keep you updated on movies being released, actors/actresses in roles, dvd releases to keep a lookout for, which movie won in the box office over the weekend, etc! Are you ready for your weekly update? Here it is!monday

This Just In!!…

#1- “The Weekend Winner.”  Last weekend, 2 wide new releases entered the box office arena and looked to displace Mr. Peabody & Sherman and the other 300 from their top spots. And they succeeded. The young adult novel, Divergent diverted viewers eyes away from both the previous winners AND the Muppets! Of note is The Grand Budapest Hotel which has yet to be widely release (scheduled for this upcoming weekend) and still placed in the Top Ten while Tyler Perry’s The Single Mom’s Club dropped from 5th all the way to 10th in one week.

Here are the weekend’s estimated results for Fri, Mar 21-Sun, Mar 23:

1. Divergent ~$56M
  2. Muppets Most Wanted ~$16.5M
  3. Mr. Peabody & Sherman ~$11.7M
  4. 300: Rise of an Empire ~$8.7M
  5. God’s Not Dead ~$8.6M
  6. Need for Speed ~$7.8M
  7. The Grand Budapest Hotel ~$6.8M
  8. Non-Stop ~$6.3
  9. The LEGO Movie ~$4.1M
  10. Tyler Perry’s The Single Mom’s Club ~$3.1M

*Actuals may vary as earnings are updated much later on Monday afternoons. For updates, visit boxofficemojo.com.

Congratulations to Divergent. (Below is my review posted to Facebook earlier last week.)divergentreview

What did YOU watch this weekend?

#2- “Night Returns to Dawn…with Hahn.” Director M. Night Shyamalan (pronounced “Shy-ah-muh-lawn”) is not the most welcome name in lists of “favorite directors.” His record since The Sixth Sense has been less than stellar (although every single one since has drawn a profit). It seems that his next film is expected to return to his roots with a thriller of a story that currently is hinted to be titled something along the lines of “Sundowning.”

Cast in the lead role already in this hush-hush project is Kathryn Hahn (The Secret Life of Walter Mitty, Wanderlust) along with child actor Ed Oxenbould (in the Disney’s upcoming live-action Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day). According to The WRAP, read the following:

Hahn plays a single mother whose two young children visit their grandparents… and things go very wrong. Oxenbould plays her son, who is protective of his sister.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

No other plot details were immediately available, as Shyamalan prefers to surprise his audience. However, “sundowning” is described as a psychological phenomenon associated with increased confusion and restlessness in patients with some form of dementia. Symptoms also include agitation and mood swings.

Shyamalan is producing with Marc Bienstock and Ashwin Rajan, while Steven Schneider of Room 101 is executive producing. Production has nearly wrapped in Shyamalan’s home base of Pennsylvania.

“Sundowning” is a low-budget movie that marks Shyamalan’s return to the creepy genre fare that earned him legions of fans following big-budget detours “After Earth” and “The Last Airbender.”

Not much to go on, but an interesting choice of initial cast. Perhaps Will Smith wasn’t available. 😉m_night_shyamalan_on_the_movie_set_for_unbreakable

What do you think of this project? Are you ready to give M. Night another shot??

#3- UPDATE: X-MEN: Days of Future Past! Check out today’s newly released EPIC trailer and poster for the upcoming mutant-filled adventure. X-MEN: Days of Future Past.

hr_X-Men-_Days_of_Future_Past_134

Starring James McAvoy, Hugh Jackman, Michael Fassbender, Jennifer Lawrence, Patrick Stewart and more, and directed by Bryan Singer, X-MEN: Days of Future Past is set to release in theaters in 2D and 3D on May 23rd.

Are you ready for the Future to be the Present?

#4- “Upcoming Developments and Dates.” Here are a few release updates for some up and coming movie productions:

• Taken 3: January 9, 2015
  • The Secret Service: March 6, 2015 (moved up from October 24)
  • Frankenstein: October 2, 2015 (moved back from January 16)
  • Fantastic Four: June 19, 2015
  • Ridley Scott “mystery film”: March 4, 2016 (Will this be Prometheus 2? or Blade Runner 2?)
  • X-MEN: Apocalypse: May 27, 2016
  • The Amazing Spider-Man 3: June 10, 2016

re

*All dates are to be regarded as “tentative and subject to change.”

On top of that, here are a few images for some upcoming films as well: (Click any image to enlarge and then scroll through them using arrow keys)

Feel free to look up some of these projects or follow here for further updates as developments occur.

What do you think about these upcoming releases?

#5- “This Week’s Blu-ray release.” This week, look for the following films on Blu-ray to possibly add to your collection:

The Wolf of Wall Street– Martin Scorsese’s five-time Oscar-nominated decadent look at debauchery and deception starring Leonardo DiCaprio, Jonah Hill, Margot Robbie and more is based on the true story of wealthy stockbroker Jordan Belfort and his less than questionable rise to fame and fortune…and his flight from his inevitable fall. Released on blu-ray and expected to include an additional version with a full extra hour of content cut from the theatrical release.The Wolf of Wall Street on Blu-ray, with Leonardo DiCaprio

Several other films also release this week. Check it out!

Also releasing:

• Delivery Man (my review HERE)
  • Walking With Dinosaurs
  • Odd Thomas
  • The Great Beauty
  • …and more.

Which will you pick up?

——-

Well, that’s it for this round of “Movie News Monday!”

up next: “Time to Vote Tuesday!”

1. March 24, 2014 9:07 am

This weekend I decided to try and finish the second season of House of Cards, but fell asleep so still have two episodes on that to go. Also watched Kiki’s Delivery Service, which was a very enjoyable Ghibli movie.

I always check out M.Night movies although my expectations are getting lower each time.

After the last X-Men movie I am looking forward to the new one even though I have stayed away from trailers or stills.

• March 24, 2014 9:21 pm

Ooh. Glad you liked Kiki s delivery service. 🙂

I forgot you avoid trailers. I wish I could but they are like a flame to me and I am a movie moth. Haha.

Thank you for stopping by. Very good to see you and so many friends.

• March 25, 2014 9:22 am

Happy to see you back!

2. March 24, 2014 10:52 am

Great to have you back, T!

• March 24, 2014 9:20 pm

Great to see you here, sir. Thank you

3. March 24, 2014 11:05 am

Welcome back, T. Mondays just weren’t the same.

• March 24, 2014 9:20 pm

Thank you very much for being here my friend.

4. March 24, 2014 11:11 am

Welcome back T!! Like Max said, Mondays just aren’t the same without MNM!

Bummer you’re not as fond of Divergent, I happen to enjoy that one quite a bit.

In any case, I’m super excited about Days of Future Past that I’m dedicating a trailer post for it, haven’t done that for ages! 😀

• March 24, 2014 9:19 pm

Very kind of both of you. Thank you. I wanted to like Divergent more. It wasn’t terrible. Truly. But I found it lacking. For all the talent it had. However. Shailene Woodley did very well I thought.

I love when you do trailer spotlights since you do them so rarely it means it is time to pay attention when you do and I couldn’t agree more with this one

5. March 24, 2014 11:31 am

Good stuff!

Not really good news for The Muppets. I think they were hoping for a bigger opening than that.

And did I read an extra hour of footage not found in the “The Wolf of Wall Street” theater version? My gosh, and I thought the theater version was a long, mind-numbingly painful ordeal!

• March 24, 2014 9:17 pm

Keith! Glad to see you. It will be interesting if that extra hour is truly included. Tomorrow we will find out. Ha.

6. March 24, 2014 11:44 am

Welcome back and sadly I still don’t care much for the Days of Future Past film. Just isn’t winning me over 😦

• March 24, 2014 9:16 pm

Thanks Tim. I’ve missed it. I don’t remember…what were your thoughts on First Class?

• March 27, 2014 1:47 pm

I liked it but I know who directed it and my faith in Singer is quite frankly shot. I want to be proven wrong but I have a strong feeling I won’t 😦

7. Tom permalink
    March 24, 2014 2:10 pm

Nice T! I personally will be picking up a copy of TWoWS, esp cuz of that extra hour of film extending the whole thing to a whopping 4 hours of awesomeness! This week is great for that reason.

• March 24, 2014 9:16 pm

I hope it stays awesome in that the hour is truly included as expected. If not…I hope you enjoy it still.
      Thanks for stopping by.

8. March 24, 2014 3:00 pm

Welcome back T! I really hope Wolf does have that extra hour although I heard somewhere that it doesn’t, which would be a real shame.

That X-Men trailer is awesome, I really hope they nail it and don’t try and overcomplicate things like in Last Stand.

• March 24, 2014 9:15 pm

Hey Terry. Thank you. I hope it does too. I also heard it wouldn’t so we will have to wait and see…

I am glad that Singer returned for this sequel and hope it is awesome

9. March 24, 2014 6:47 pm

Nice to see you back. I’m surprised the Muppets is so much lower, but maybe it’ll be a long-runner sort.

New M. Night Shyamalan film news doesn’t excite me. 🙂 But who knows, maybe he’ll rediscover how to make a decent film. I doubt it. But maybe.

That F4 release date is going up against Pixar’s Inside Out. Might be a busy weekend at the box office.

• March 24, 2014 9:14 pm

Thanks so much Morgan. I was surprised by the Muppets as well. Perhaps it will be the tortoise of the race.

I’m with you on M.Night but still always end up pulling for him. We’ll see…

10. March 25, 2014 1:00 am

Great to have you back! Hopefully you are feeling refreshed after the hiatus.

• March 25, 2014 11:36 am

thank you sir! I appreciate that. I am glad to be back and to see so many friends here. Appreciate your patience with me while I “hiated”…if that’s even a word. haha

11. March 25, 2014 12:11 pm

You’re back, T!!! Thats awesome!

I saw a bunch of movies on Netflix this weekend and thats about it 🙂 Have a few movies looking forward to see in theatres: Enemy, Nymphmaniac vol.1, Need for Speed.
    I’m over M. Night Shyamalan (if thats how you spell it). I ended it with Signs. I’ll see how the trailer looks before I make any further decisions 😉

• March 31, 2014 9:34 am

Hi Kim! Thanks for the sweet welcome. I’m glad to see you back here as well. 🙂

I’ve been wanting to see Enemy…it is available onDemand, but I refuse to spend twice as much as what it costs to go to the theater just to watch it. Let me know if you get to see it and what you think.