The Versatile Blogger Award & 7 fun facts about me.

May 13, 2014

…I’ve always liked that word: “versatile.” Stemming from the Latin word versare meaning to “keep turning, be engaged in something, turn over in the mind,” the word “versatile” came to mean “able to do many things well” in English in 1762. 1762 just so happened to also be full of versatile people being as such. In that selfsame year, Catherine II became empress/tsar of Russia, Britain declared war on both Spain and Naples, the first St. Patrick’s Day parade took place in New York City and the Treaty of Fontainebleau (or of Paris) ended the Seven Years’ War.

Apparently, this sandwich is called the "Original 1762" for some reason. I don't know why but...there you go!

Apparently, this sandwich is called “The Original 1762” for some reason. I don’t know why but, well…there you go!

And then, 252 years later, there’s me!the-versitle-blogger-award

I’ve been awarded “The Versatile Blogger Award” from my pal, Ruth at Flixchatter.net. I’m grateful to once again receive such a nomination and even though I rarely “follow the rules” of meme-awards such as these, I figured now was as good a time as any. So…without further ado, here are the rules:

• Thank your nominator and provide a link to their blog.
  • Make your own fifteen nominations and tell them they have been nominated
  • Offer up seven interesting facts about yourself

———-

“Thank You”:

So, thank you Ruth, my dear friend. As the one blogger who’s followed me the longest I have loved your site, your passion, your support and your friendship along with our shared beliefs and faith. I am blessed to consider you my friend! For those of you who haven’t visited her site (or even if you have), you must pay her a visit at www.flixchatter.net.flixchatter

15 Nominations:VersatileBloggerNominations

This is tough because there are so many great bloggers out there. Truly. Some with some phenomenal content and that are able to dedicate even more time and effort to their respective pages. But here are my nominations for this traveling award (in no particular order):

Believe it or not, you CAN visit more than 1.

Believe it or not, you CAN visit more than 1.

1. Bubbawheat at Flights, Tights and Movie Nights
  10. Joe at TwoDudeReview
  11. Austin at The Bishop Review
  12. Terry at Terry Malloy’s Pigeon Coop
  13. Dan at Top 10 Films
  14. Claire at MyReelPOV
  15. The Fearless Three at 3 Guys 1 Movie

I’ll be informing them of their award (as per the rules) over the next couple of days!

7 Random Interesting Facts (These things are easier when they give you questions to answer instead of having to think up 7 things you hope other people find interesting. haha):

1. I lived in Germany for six years and can utter a few sentences in German and count up to 10! Woohoo! Being born into a military family we moved a lot, but I have a lot of memories from our stay in Germany and would love to revisit soon. Europe is such a beautiful place and it is so rich in history (and great food!). What I wouldn’t do right now for some genuine Jägerschnitzel or Currywurst with curry ketchup or Bratwurst mit brötchen or just even a Kinder-egg (back when they used to have good toys that you assembled together inside of them)!kinderegg

Some of you know what I’m talking about and others of you are headed to Google right now! haha 🙂 As they say in German: “Sehr Gut”

2. Whenever I travel via plane, there are several things I must do/have:

• headphones…even if I have no music, people still leave me alone.
  • crossword puzzles…I get asked what I will do when I am “old” if I do crossword puzzles at this age.
  • the latest Skymall magazine…man, the stuff in there is legit! I’ve actually ordered a few items. but nothing like these items.
  • tap the outside of the plane a couple of times right before stepping on.
  • hope that the seat next to me will be assigned to the cute girl I saw sitting in the terminal. 😉  (never happens that way, btw)

Instead…this is my reaction when my “assigned” seating partner makes their way to the seat next to me:

3. I often make videos of myself lip-singing to music and often want to start up a YouTube channel re-enacting different scenes from musicals. I storyboard out the ideas in my head and plan the costumes and all…but haven’t gotten the gumption to do it. (you should SEE my Les Mis impressions! I can practically do the entire movie!) BUT…I usually delete the videos after I make them because they’re just silly. But I do sing out loud in the shower (much to the chagrin of my roommate who will sometimes record the embarrassing bellowing and post it on Facebook in roommate revenge!) and oftentimes will linger in the lather simply because a favorite song is on!

My Les Mis “Russell Crowe” impression is uncanny and unparalleled!

4. In middle school and high school I played football, basketball and ran but people always seem surprised when I tell them…and it just makes me laugh. Oh well.

5. I think the 90’s was one of the best decades for film! 15 of my favorite movies from the 90’s (animated excluded) that I could watch over and over again are:therock

• Hook
  • Dumb and Dumber
  • Con Air
  • Blade
  • The Matrix
  • The Little Rascals

1,000 points to you if you remember this little made-for-tv movie:

6. In college, I was a part of a pretty sweet acappela group. We called ourselves “OFFBEAT” and boy were we good! We even made a cd once. Singing tons of original and cover arrangements, we landed several gigs including singing the national anthem at an NMSU basketball game, singing for the Miss New Mexico Pageant, entertaining at banquets, singing group members out of trouble with their girlfriend and occasionally serenading sorority houses at Christmas time.

Before "Pitch Perfect." Before "Glee." Before "The Sing Off." There was OFFBEAT!

Before “Pitch Perfect.” Before “Glee.” Before “The Sing Off.” There was OFFBEAT!

But one of my more favorite memories of performing with my four fellow songsters was when we were invited to sing two songs at a naturalization ceremony at the courthouse as a hundred or so immigrants accomplished a dream of theirs in becoming an American citizen. It was a very precious and humbling experience I will never forget.

7. I hate cooked carrots and cooked celery. As a matter of fact…I prefer a lot of my vegetables to be crunchy. Just like I prefer a lot of my desserts to be cold (like chocolate cake…or oreos! If you don’t put your Oreos in the fridge then, my friend, you are eating Oreos the wrong way!) But very few things are as texturally disgusting as a wimpy, mushy cooked carrot.

Did you know carrots are good for your eyes? Yeah…you never saw a rabbit wear glasses, did ya?!

Gimme the crunch!

haha! 🙂 Well, that’s it. That’s all you get from me for right now! Congratulations to the 15 nominees and thank you to Ruth from Flixchatter.net. I hope you enjoyed this post! On to more “versatilities!”

1. May 14, 2014 12:10 am

Congratulations! I hear you on Kinder eggs, they were great weren’t they?! You should definitely make that YouTube show, often the silliest videos are the best 🙂

• May 14, 2014 12:15 am

Ha. Thank you so much. If I do make those vids I’ll be sure to announce it

2. May 14, 2014 2:27 am

“In college, I was a part of a pretty sweet acappela group” – definitely my favourite fact I’ve seen on one of these awards!

Oh and I hear ya on Kinder Eggs. Why are the toys so bad these days?!

Thanks so much for nominating me for this mate, really appreciate it 🙂

• May 14, 2014 11:34 am

Hey Terry! thanks man. I loved our group and miss it. Most of the guys have moved on, had families, etc. But one has made a few cds out of Nashville and been in a couple of movies!

Man, I don’t know what in the world happened to Kinder Eggs. I think the secret got out and then they got worse…BOO.

Glad to nominate you man. you always have great content and reviews!

3. May 14, 2014 2:54 am

Congratulations!

• May 14, 2014 11:34 am

Thank you so much!

4. May 14, 2014 6:14 am

Thanks for the nomination, but I usually don’t participate in these awards. If you have a question for me though head to this week’s Monday Question 🙂

I now going to have to by a Kinder Egg to see if the toys are bad these days. Used to love them when I was growing up. Nice to hear you were singing in an a capella group. Don’t you miss it?

• May 14, 2014 11:37 am

I remembered that you don’t and I thought of that when making the nom, but I didn’t want it to stop me from awarding it to you when I felt you were deserving. ha. Feel free to do nothing further with this but to let the award collect dust on your blog mantle! haha.

The Kinder Egg toys are not what they used to be. Gone are the days, it seems, where you could spend some time putting together an intricate toy with little parts and enjoy it. I watched a video of one being opened on YouTube and was disgusted when the “toy” inside was a series of little cards with different animals (like fact tags)! That’s not a kinder egg toy!! Uggh.

I miss singing in our group so much! Yes. Do you sing?

• May 14, 2014 12:26 pm

I still very much appreciate the gesture and it is nice to see you thought of my blog when putting up the nominations.

When I was at the station this afternoon I was tempted to buy one when I saw them, but resisted. Probably will buy one later this week just to follow my curiosity 😉

No, I don’t sing, but I used to rap during my teenage years (and made the music as well). That creative side of me has always been there and just changed into other forms of creativity like video editing, learning after effects and now in the form of my blog.
        So you don’t feel tempted to set up a new group or at least do something involving singing?

• May 18, 2014 2:28 pm

well, your creativity def comes through on your site for sure! I do still sing but not in our group. I am very much involved in the music program at my church and love to do that. and in my spare time I try to brush up on my musical instruments! 🙂 But I want a group again…

5. May 16, 2014 1:13 pm

Well deserved. I am of course talking about me 😀

Good post and thanks for the Nom!

• May 18, 2014 2:07 pm

hahahahaa! Of course it is well-deserved. LOL. and THAT, my friend, is exACTly why I nom’d ya. LOL

• May 19, 2014 1:25 pm

Haha 😀

6. May 18, 2014 4:44 pm

Thanks for the nomination! I always appreciate when these are passed onto me, though I don’t usually pass them along myself. But I will post seven facts about myself here on Twitter in a little bit.

7. May 20, 2014 1:49 pm

Thanks, T! 🙂 Congrats to you! Very interesting facts. And yes, you should open that Youtube channel..haha! C’mon, if you were in a kick ass acapella group in college then you must be extremely awesome at singing. And I will try eating cooled Oreos, sounds like fun especially the new flavor: it just makes sense to put the Fruit Punch Oreos in the fridge.

8. May 27, 2014 10:48 pm

Thanks for the nomination T! I would love to participate but man, I now realize I’ve barely followed any blogs since the kiddo came. You try and stay up with everything but I guess some things are bound to go by the wayside, ha. It was fun learning some new things about you though. I’m with you on the headphones on airplanes. Please no one talk to me! I flew a ton as a kid and teenager but always standby and I always seemed to get stuck next to the weirdo who wanted to talk a bunch about weird things. THE WORST.

• June 16, 2014 7:33 pm

haha. It can be hard to stay up on everyone’s blogs. I know. but it is so nice to see you here when you do stop by. I completely understand. Thanks for all the great content on your site too!