…I’ve always liked that word: “versatile.” Stemming from the Latin word versare meaning to “keep turning, be engaged in something, turn over in the mind,” the word “versatile” came to mean “able to do many things well” in English in 1762. 1762 just so happened to also be full of versatile people being as such. In that selfsame year, Catherine II became empress/tsar of Russia, Britain declared war on both Spain and Naples, the first St. Patrick’s Day parade took place in New York City and the Treaty of Fontainebleau (or of Paris) ended the Seven Years’ War.
I’ve been awarded “The Versatile Blogger Award” from my pal, Ruth at Flixchatter.net. I’m grateful to once again receive such a nomination and even though I rarely “follow the rules” of meme-awards such as these, I figured now was as good a time as any. So…without further ado, here are the rules:
- Thank your nominator and provide a link to their blog.
- Make your own fifteen nominations and tell them they have been nominated
- Offer up seven interesting facts about yourself
So, thank you Ruth, my dear friend. As the one blogger who’s followed me the longest I have loved your site, your passion, your support and your friendship along with our shared beliefs and faith. I am blessed to consider you my friend! For those of you who haven’t visited her site (or even if you have), you must pay her a visit at www.flixchatter.net.
This is tough because there are so many great bloggers out there. Truly. Some with some phenomenal content and that are able to dedicate even more time and effort to their respective pages. But here are my nominations for this traveling award (in no particular order):
- Bubbawheat at Flights, Tights and Movie Nights
- Tim at Tim’s Film Reviews
- Nostra at My Film Views
- Joseph at The Cinema Monster
- Manon at Manon’s Maze
- Tim at Beermovie.net
- Kim at Tranquil Dreams
- Rodney at Fernby Films
- Brian at Can Babies Drink Red Bull
- Joe at TwoDudeReview
- Austin at The Bishop Review
- Terry at Terry Malloy’s Pigeon Coop
- Dan at Top 10 Films
- Claire at MyReelPOV
- The Fearless Three at 3 Guys 1 Movie
I’ll be informing them of their award (as per the rules) over the next couple of days!
7 Random Interesting Facts (These things are easier when they give you questions to answer instead of having to think up 7 things you hope other people find interesting. haha):
1. I lived in Germany for six years and can utter a few sentences in German and count up to 10! Woohoo! Being born into a military family we moved a lot, but I have a lot of memories from our stay in Germany and would love to revisit soon. Europe is such a beautiful place and it is so rich in history (and great food!). What I wouldn’t do right now for some genuine Jägerschnitzel or Currywurst with curry ketchup or Bratwurst mit brötchen or just even a Kinder-egg (back when they used to have good toys that you assembled together inside of them)!
Some of you know what I’m talking about and others of you are headed to Google right now! haha 🙂 As they say in German: “Sehr Gut”
2. Whenever I travel via plane, there are several things I must do/have:
- headphones…even if I have no music, people still leave me alone.
- crossword puzzles…I get asked what I will do when I am “old” if I do crossword puzzles at this age.
- the latest Skymall magazine…man, the stuff in there is legit! I’ve actually ordered a few items. but nothing like these items.
- tap the outside of the plane a couple of times right before stepping on.
- hope that the seat next to me will be assigned to the cute girl I saw sitting in the terminal. 😉 (never happens that way, btw)
Instead…this is my reaction when my “assigned” seating partner makes their way to the seat next to me:
3. I often make videos of myself lip-singing to music and often want to start up a YouTube channel re-enacting different scenes from musicals. I storyboard out the ideas in my head and plan the costumes and all…but haven’t gotten the gumption to do it. (you should SEE my Les Mis impressions! I can practically do the entire movie!) BUT…I usually delete the videos after I make them because they’re just silly. But I do sing out loud in the shower (much to the chagrin of my roommate who will sometimes record the embarrassing bellowing and post it on Facebook in roommate revenge!) and oftentimes will linger in the lather simply because a favorite song is on!
4. In middle school and high school I played football, basketball and ran but people always seem surprised when I tell them…and it just makes me laugh. Oh well.
- First Kid
- The Rock
- The Shawshank Redemption
- Jurassic Park
- Billy Madison
- The Fifth Element
- 10 Things I Hate About You
- Rush Hour
- Dumb and Dumber
- Con Air
- The Matrix
- The Little Rascals
1,000 points to you if you remember this little made-for-tv movie:
6. In college, I was a part of a pretty sweet acappela group. We called ourselves “OFFBEAT” and boy were we good! We even made a cd once. Singing tons of original and cover arrangements, we landed several gigs including singing the national anthem at an NMSU basketball game, singing for the Miss New Mexico Pageant, entertaining at banquets, singing group members out of trouble with their girlfriend and occasionally serenading sorority houses at Christmas time.
But one of my more favorite memories of performing with my four fellow songsters was when we were invited to sing two songs at a naturalization ceremony at the courthouse as a hundred or so immigrants accomplished a dream of theirs in becoming an American citizen. It was a very precious and humbling experience I will never forget.
7. I hate cooked carrots and cooked celery. As a matter of fact…I prefer a lot of my vegetables to be crunchy. Just like I prefer a lot of my desserts to be cold (like chocolate cake…or oreos! If you don’t put your Oreos in the fridge then, my friend, you are eating Oreos the wrong way!) But very few things are as texturally disgusting as a wimpy, mushy cooked carrot.
Gimme the crunch!
haha! 🙂 Well, that’s it. That’s all you get from me for right now! Congratulations to the 15 nominees and thank you to Ruth from Flixchatter.net. I hope you enjoyed this post! On to more “versatilities!”
–T, The Focused Filmographer