Today is Tuesday! And you know what that means! It is time for TIME TO VOTE TUESDAY!
For most people Tuesday is just the day after Monday, but for you it means that “Time to Vote Tuesday” is here!!
“Time to Vote Tuesday” is the session of fun weekly polls which spark thought, debate, and intrigue! Each poll closes in a week with results posted on the following ‘TVT’!
This week’s edition of ‘TVT’ is a special one. Entitled “The Search for Mary Jane Watson”, this edition considers 7 picks of mine to play Mary Jane Watson in future installments of the Amazing Spider-Man franchise.
Back when Emma Stone was cast as Peter Parker’s first girlfriend, Gwen Stacy, the internet blew up thinking that director Marc Webb had mistakenly cast the usual redhead as the wrong girl. Surely, she was meant to be Mary Jane Watson! Of course, now we all feel that Emma Stone was perfectly cast as Gwen Stacy! But that left everyone wondering “Who will be cast as MJ and when will we see her?”
Webb answered that when he cast The Descendants star Shailene Woodley as the bombshell iconic girlfriend of the friendly neighborhood wallcrawler…and the internet blew up again. People, including myself, were scratching their heads at the choice as Woodley doesn’t quite represent what fans expect from a Mary Jane (all of us secretly hoping for a version far better than the mediocre Kirsten Dunst version).
Scenes were shot with Woodley…and then…they were cut. Whether it was Webb’s bowing to the desire of fans, or Shailene’s scheduling conflicts with commitments to a Divergent trilogy, or the problem of too much in The Amazing Spider-Man 2…or a mixture of it all, Webb announced that Shailene’s scenes as Mary Jane Watson were to be cut from the sequel.
The possibility of a new actress to be cast as MJ has made me contemplate who should play her instead IF they were to recast the part for The Amazing Spider-Man 3 (which may be pushed back to 2017 now, sadly). After a month of contemplating, I have narrowed my list down to SEVEN possibilities. I can only hope that Sony, Columbia Pictures and director Marc Webb will read this post one day. But, until that day comes, YOU get to choose. Below you will find my choices, with a few reasons why, followed by the poll for you to vote on the Top TWO (2)! Help me, one of the biggest Spider-Man fans ever, in the search for the next Mary Jane Watson!
- Can’t have been a character in another Marvel film. (Sorry, no Jennifer Lawrence, Anna Paquin, Scarlett Johansson, Elizabeth Olsen, Natalie Portman, Katt Dennings, Kate Mara or Natalie Dormer, etc.)
- Must be passable as a teenager/college student. Preferably under 30 years of age (sorry, Rachel McAdams)
- Should have looks of a model, but still be girl-next-door material.
- Be able to act with emotion (so no Kristen Stewart, Keira Knightley, etc).
- Red hair should look natural on them (for example: It doesn’t really fit Gemma Arterton so…no Gemma.)
- No Megan Fox!
With the above criteria in mind, I made my choices for Mary Jane Watson (in NO particular order):
**Click a photo to scroll through slideshow of photos for each actress.**
1. Aly Michalka. -Starred with Emma Stone in Easy A. One of my top choices as she has the girl-next-door look mixed with the model make. I can hear her saying “Face it, Tiger, You just hit the jackpot!” Also starred in The Roommate, Crazy Kind of Love and episodes of Two and a Half Men. Age 25.
2. Deborah Ann Woll. -Regular on True Blood. This redhead bombshell is definitely a favored choice, but can she pull off the age? I hope she’d audition. Also starred in Ruby Sparks, Seven Days in Utopia, Catch .44 and more. Age 29.
3. Debby Ryan. -Star of Disney show Jessie. The weakest of the contenders in this contest, but the one that, perhaps has the most to prove in comparison. She’s already familiar with New York and may be up for the task of swinging with Spidey. Age 21.
4. Ashley Greene. -Beauty from The Twilight Saga. Something about Ashley makes me want to see her pick up more big roles. The only redeeming factor of the Twilight films for me making her scenes bearable. Also stars in upcoming Wish I Was Here. Age 27.
5. Mary Elizabeth Winstead. -Starred in Scott Pilgrim vs. the World, A Good Day to Die Hard, Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter. Mary Elizabeth Winstead is capable and needs her next BIG role. With those doe eyes of hers and that smile to match, Mary could play another Mary! Age 29.
6. Michelle Trachtenberg. -Known for Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Also starred in EuroTrip, 17 Again and more. It’s her eyes. Wow. That’s all! 🙂 Age 29.
7. Alexis Knapp. -Starred in Project X. Also known for Pitch Perfect, Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The Lightning Thief and more. She’s played a highschooler more than once and we know she has the pipes to yell for Spidey if need be. Age 24.
Do you have another actress you’d like to see considered? Share your thoughts in the comment section below! In the meantime, don’t miss The Amazing Spider-Man 2 in theaters now and releasing on blu-ray on August 19th. My full review HERE.
Not on the poll, but mentioned by a voter on my post on Reddit: True Detective‘s Alexandra Daddario (Percy Jackson & the Olympians, Texas Chainsaw 3D, Hall Pass). I hadn’t thought about her prior to, but now wish I had. She now has an honorary place on my list for Mary Jane!
Thanks for reading! Happy Watching!
–T, The Focused Filmographer
up next: Reviews for 22 Jump Street and How to Train Your Dragon 2.