With blockbusters of the summer pretty much behind us and only a couple more in the month of August that appear to expect mediocre earnings and ratings (i.e. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles [8/8/14] , Expendables 3 [8/15/14], Sin City: A Dame to Kill For [8/22/14]…face it…summer’s over!) it is the last four months that may bring us some of the best movies of the year yet!
After posting my review of Guardians of the Galaxy (here) I was asked if it is the “best of the year,” to which I replied…”the year isn’t over yet.” Leading me to compile a list of films for the remainder of the year that I am most interested in seeing. I’m not proclaiming them to be “best of the year” candidates yet (some of them, for sure, are guilty pleasures), but they are the twenty remaining releases of the year (September-December) that I am interested in seeing. Check them out and share yours! (The ones in red are my top choices!)
- 1. The Drop (September 12) The last film from the late James Gandolfini. I like the cast and look forward to seeing it.
- 2. The Equalizer (September 26)Based on the tv show, I never watched it but really like what the trailer looks like. Denzel bringing justice…much like Man on Fire and Chloe in the shoes of Dakota.
- 3. The Boxtrolls (September 26)So delightful. I was intrigued the first time I watched the teaser trailer. Anyone else ready to see what the boxes have in store?
- 4. The Disappearance of Eleanor Rigby (September 26)The cast draws me strongly to this and the unique point of view. Yes, I’ll be watching it. Will you?
- 5. Gone Girl (October 3)I haven’t read the book to avoid any spoilers for myself. This “whodunnit” flick is directed by David Fincher…which means I need to see it.
- 6. Annabelle (October 3)I liked The Conjuring so much…and I have a feeling that this will not stand up to it, but I’m willing to give it a shot. Dolls are creepy.
- 7. The Interview (October 10)This trailer makes me laugh. I loved This is the End and Franco and Rogen…well, it’s a great match. North Korea’s been hating on this film lately and it’s only added to the publicity of the film.
- 8. Kill the Messenger (October 10)Renner is a method actor that takes on some very good roles. I don’t know quite what to think, but I am intrigued.
- 9. Dracula Untold (October 17)This may look cheesy to some but I love the look and plot. Dracula/vampire tales are fun (unless their of the sparkling persuasion) and this “historic” biopic of Dracula is one I don’t wanna miss.
- 10. Birdman (October 17)Keaton as Birdman…not Batman. A semi-autobiography perhaps?
Click to “MORE” tag below to see the final 10 of the year!
- 11. Kingsman: The Secret Service (October 31)This one is just up my alley! The cast includes Luke Skywalker, Nick Fury, Sinestro, Alfred Pennyworth, King George VI and more!
- 12. Interstellar (November 7)Christopher Nolan brings together another great cast and boy does this look fantastic! Won’t miss this!
- 13. Big Hero 6 (November 7)I think this one will definitely be enjoyable.
- 14. Fury (November 14)I’m a sucker for WWII movies and brotherhood films like this!
- 15. Foxcatcher (November 14)Coming out nearly a year after it’s initial release date…I’ve been waiting for this and it is definitely Oscar material.
- 16. Dumb and Dumber To (November 14)Not going to be one of the best of the year, but def better than the horrible prequel that came out a while back. Looks to rival the first in its laughs. Let’s hope so.
- 17. The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Pt 1 (November 21)Is there any question that this must be watched? Especially after the ending of Catching Fire?
- 18. Horrible Bosses 2 (November 28)Another guilty pleasure, but the first one made me laugh. We’ll see…
- 19. Exodus: Gods and Kings (December 12)I’m not looking forward to this as much as I am just curious. So much screams epic disappointment of Biblical proportions to me…
- 20. The Hobbit: The Battle of Five Armies (December 19)The journey ends and I’ll be there for it!
Well, those are the 20 films of the last four months of the year that I am looking forward to. September thru December look entertaining! Some fantastic and some may flop, but all have my attention. Let’s get through August! I’m ready for the last four months of 2014. How about you?
Thanks for reading, Happy watching!
-T, The Focused Filmographer.